Buying my first LP, think I'm settled on a Plustop Pro. How do I tell if it's a standard pro or a standard plustop pro? Noob question sorry.

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Some sellers seem to list what I belive is a standard plustop pro but they only say it's a standard pro. Are all standard pros plustops? or only some? How do I tell?

Thanks

tzd

Reaction score
Plustop has the flame veneer. Pro means it should have Probucker pickups.

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Plustop has the flame veneer. Pro means it should have Probucker pickups.
Sorry for being thick, does that mean I can tell just by looking at it?

What I mean to say is can you tell if a standard pro is a plustop just through pictures/serial number? and if so what do I look for speciffically?

Do probucker pickups look different?

Thanks

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being thick, does that mean I can tell just by looking at it?

What I mean to say is can you tell if a standard pro is a plustop just through pictures/serial number? and if so what do I look for speciffically?

Do probucker pickups look different?

Thanks
The probuckers I have seen in the newer LP's are labeled as such. The flame top should be easy to spot. How do you know you want the guitar if you don't know what one looks like? Good luck!!

WonderMouse

Reaction score
The probuckers I have seen in the newer LP's are labeled as such. The flame top should be easy to spot. How do you know you want the guitar if you don't know what one looks like? Good luck!!
I'm new to Les Pauls, I knew I wanted a good mid range one and everyone says that the plustop is worth it over the regualr stadnard or pro, and I like the sound of the neck shape and coil splitting. Buying 2nd hand it seems that loads of people list their standard pros as standard pros (as that is what it says on the headstock) but I believe a lot of them are in fact plustops. but I have seen the same finishes on both plustops and non plustops (I think). So i just wanted to be sure I could tell from pictures even when the seller doesn't know ( a lot of people on facebook marketplace etc just writing standard pro because it says so on the headstock)

rbraad68

Reaction score
Usually the newer Epi's have the Alnico pro's and the pro buckers. The pro buckers will almost always be covered cept for the the pro buckers they just put in the slash sig guitar they did. so if the guitar has covered pups it's almost safe to say thier pro buckers. The "pro" part is easy too just try and pull up on the volume pot if it pulls up it's a pro.. good luck to you man..

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Usually the newer Epi's have the Alnico pro's and the pro buckers. The pro buckers will almost always be covered cept for the the pro buckers they just put in the slash sig guitar they did. so if the guitar has covered pups it's almost safe to say thier pro buckers. The "pro" part is easy too just try and pull up on the volume pot if it pulls up it's a pro.. good luck to you man..
Thanks, I won't be able to try it in person as I live in the middle of nowhere so it's a bit of a gamble to begin with.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I think the only difference between them is cosmetic. I also think some that are listed as simple Standard with a nice flame top, are actually Plus Tops and seller is simply not aware.

Don't torture yourself. Get the one that appeals the best to you and go from there.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I agree man don't worry about they are all great guitars. personally i like the non push pull set ups better. you get a better harness usually with cts pots instead of those alpha push pull pots. either way man you can't go wrong with these new epi's....

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Just purchase brand new, the Standard 50's for a thicker neck and the Standard 60's for the Slim Taper neck. Then you really get what you want. Sweetwater will set you up nicely, they have a 50's in Lemonburst and you even get to pick the best top out of 4 choices. The 2020 and 2021 Epiphone Guitars coming out now are fantastic. The 60's come with Probucker 2/3's and the 50's come with Probucker 1/2's. Some of the older Epiphones can really be hit or miss for quality and playability.

Last edited:

WonderMouse

Reaction score
On the Standard plustop pros, are there any difference year to year?

Are the 2015 models the same as the 2018 models in terms of features, build quality etc?

Thanks

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am seeing most of these Plustop Pro's going for $500-$550, how come you're not looking at a new Epiphone, they are so much nicer?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
New here in the USA is $650 give or take and the used ones are going for $500-$550, so only a $100 difference. You have a better used market for sure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @WonderMouse :
I have a plus top pro.
The top is flamed and the pickups are ProBuckers with coil split (you can push/pull the volume knobs).
It sounds nice to me. I have never compared with the other models anyway.
From year to year, they added colours as far as I know.

If you want to know from the seller, ask if the volume knobs do push / pull . Also publishing a photo will help

Some details for you:

Last edited:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
You can find a good guitar from any year. Just decide what features you want and price you're willing to pay. Good luck!

WonderMouse

Reaction score
I managed to get a Standard 60s used from a store for a hair more then the plustops. Is that a better deal do you guys think?

I won't manage to see it in person but the online chat assured me I could phone the store in the morning to ask some questions, I know that these models have some fret issues sometimes so I want to ask what the situation is there on this guitar (they have given the neck/frets a 5/5 so I'm hoping its one of the good ones) if I'm not assured that the frets are perfect and will need any work or a sharp etc then I've been told I can cancel the order.

Sorry for waffling on. To sum up 2020/21 Standard 60s better then a plustop?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yes, I think you are doing well at that price with the 60's Standard. What color, do you have any photos yet? You will like the Probucker 2/3 pickups that come with that guitar.

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Yes, I think you are doing well at that price with the 60's Standard. What color, do you have any photos yet?
Iced tea, no photos I just placed the order to make sure someone else doesn't steal it from under me, the guy in the chat told me to adn then to phone tomorrow and if I'm assured the frets are perfect then I'll go ahead with the order, just worried about them as I really want a nice low action and I don't have the experience to level frets by myself and I live miles away from someone with the knowledge.

Latest Threads