Buying my first Gibson (advice+help needed!!)

Rocket Queen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.
I'm looking to buy my first Gibson Les Paul Standard (preferably in the shade Cherry Sunburst but I really like Trans Amber too).
It's really hard to choose a guitar because there's so many to choose from so I'm asking you guys for advice.
The only guitar I currently own is a Fender Squier. I've had this guitar for 6 years and I feel like it's time to buy a new one. But I don't come from a rich family and as an 18 year old girl it isn't easy at all to afford a Gibson. I'm trying to sell some old stuff on ebay to bring in some extra money. However, someone who lives in my area is selling a new, unplayed Gibson 2015 Standard in the shade Cherry Sunburst for a very good (but still expensive for me, at least) price.

I've read many mixed reviews about the 2015 models. Some say the G force system comes in handy, others say it's useless and that it doesn't work properly.
The G force system makes the headstock look bad, in my opinion.
Also, the font that says "Les Paul 100" isn't really my taste.
I know this is superficial but if I'm gonna buy 1 Gibson I want it to look as "Gibson" as it gets - no "Les Paul 100", I prefer the classic "Les Paul model" font (don't we all?) but I'd get used to it eventually, I guess.
I mean, I would be MORE than happy with any Gibson but I want to make sure that I make the right decision.

I would also like to mention that I am a huge fan of Guns N' Roses. And I do want to be able to sound like Slash (his AFD & UYI sound + his MJ Give In To Me & Black or White sound) but I also want to create my own sound. I love the sound of a Gibson Standard plugged into a Marshall amp with Seymour Duncan Alnico pro's.

Anyway, I would like to know your opinion on this guitar. Do you think it's a good idea to buy this one or not?
+ many people say Gibson hasn't put out anything great after 2010 so which Gibson Standard would you recommend me?
I'm also interested in the Gibson 2016 because they don't seem to have too many unnecessary features but those are impossible for me to afford.
Anything over 2000 euros is nearly impossible to afford, actually.
I'm also unsure about the thicker neck. Not sure if I prefer a slim or thick neck - is the difference between a slim and thick neck really that huge?
I know this is a lot of info but I'm just trying to give you some insight on my situation. This is kinda urgent so any help would be greatly appreciated so please guys, help me out. :) Thanks in advance!

zakk_attack

Reaction score
Hi,
how can you recognize exactly which model of pickup has been used on a track, if you don't have even changed/tried a bunch of humbuckers by yourself? (assuming that your Squier is a Strat type)

Maybe, you should keep saving on, in order to achieve more money and make your ideas clearer :hmm:

(I won't buy the 2015 model, they're too pricey and I didn't like the larger neck. The GForce can be swapped out, though)

nicker22

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't rush it. I know that's hard to do but just keep looking and I am sure you will find what you want used off someone for a price you can comfortably afford. I don't think you should buy the 2015, from what you have said it isn't really want you want and you would only be settling.

good luck. :slash:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
You need to try a few styles of necks. If possible, get to a store and see what style of neck you prefer.

Rocket Queen

Reaction score
Hi,
how can you recognize exactly which model of pickup has been used on a track, if you don't have even changed/tried a bunch of humbuckers by yourself? (assuming that your Squier is a Strat type)

Maybe, you should keep saving on, in order to achieve more money and make your ideas clearer :hmm:

(I won't buy the 2015 model, they're too pricey and I didn't like the larger neck. The GForce can be swapped out, though)

Hi,
Yes, my Squier is a Strat type. I've tried different humbuckers - my guitar teacher owns a couple of Les Pauls with different humbuckers so I do know what they sound like. It's just that I personally don't own any guitars with upgrades etc. Yeah, I know the G force is removable. Thanks a lot! :)

herzog

Reaction score
Try it out - you might love it/or hate it. Buying blind (especially when there are feature that you're skeptical of) is a huge risk.

The Birdman

Reaction score
I would go look at it and see if you are OK with the neck width and the electronic tuners. Those are the deal-breakers for me. If there are music stores near you that sell used instruments, you might want to wait and see if something more like the Les Paul of your dreams comes in.

Don't hurry it........there is always another guitar around the corner........ :)

FFXIhealer

Reaction score
Is your heart set on a Gibson? Because you mentioned you love Slash's tone. Epiphone puts out a Les Paul Slash signature for $899 USD (£599). It has nothing but glowing praise from people who try/play it. I have even given thought to buying one myself.

But I completely understand the desire to own an actual Gibson. American made, great headstock shape (much better than Epiphone), and the bragging rights of knowing you spent damned-near $2,000 getting it. But I have other reasons for not wanting an Epiphone as much.
1. No White Binding. It's always cream, even on their Alpine White guitars. >.<
2. Maple Veneer. I'm never sure if the "cap" under the veneer is also maple or just mahogany. If it's maple (but just not a flame type), then I'd gladly buy an Epiphone.
3. The super-narrow "Nashville" ToM Bridge. I prefer the wider one on Gibsons. And I don't like ABR bridges at all.

Concerning the 2015 Gibsons, yes the neck is a bit wider with that brass nut, but I don't necessarily think that's as bad as some people have made it out to be. But I also know I don't play on Classical Guitars and the super-wide fretboard is one of those reasons.
You can change out the G-Force for regular tuning gears and might even have some fun doing it (if you're anything like me and enjoy tooling around).
Yeah, the Les Paul 100 thing looks stupid, but so does the Slash signature skull drawing thing. I think if you love the INSTRUMENT - how it plays, how it feels, how it sounds - then the decorations won't matter as much to you and you just get over it.

Rocket Queen

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't rush it. I know that's hard to do but just keep looking and I am sure you will find what you want used off someone for a price you can comfortably afford. I don't think you should buy the 2015, from what you have said it isn't really want you want and you would only be settling.

good luck. :slash:

Well, it is pretty much what I want in terms of materials, sound and color but stuff like that "Les Paul 100" font annoys me more than it should. :slash: I won't rush it. Thank you!

Rocket Queen

Reaction score
Is your heart set on a Gibson? Because you mentioned you love Slash's tone. Epiphone puts out a Les Paul Slash signature for $899 USD (£599). It has nothing but glowing praise from people who try/play it. I have even given thought to buying one myself.

But I completely understand the desire to own an actual Gibson. American made, great headstock shape (much better than Epiphone), and the bragging rights of knowing you spent damned-near $2,000 getting it. But I have other reasons for not wanting an Epiphone as much.
1. No White Binding. It's always cream, even on their Alpine White guitars. >.<
2. Maple Veneer. I'm never sure if the "cap" under the veneer is also maple or just mahogany. If it's maple (but just not a flame type), then I'd gladly buy an Epiphone.
3. The super-narrow "Nashville" ToM Bridge. I prefer the wider one on Gibsons. And I don't like ABR bridges at all.

Concerning the 2015 Gibsons, yes the neck is a bit wider with that brass nut, but I don't necessarily think that's as bad as some people have made it out to be. But I also know I don't play on Classical Guitars and the super-wide fretboard is one of those reasons.
You can change out the G-Force for regular tuning gears and might even have some fun doing it (if you're anything like me and enjoy tooling around).
Yeah, the Les Paul 100 thing looks stupid, but so does the Slash signature skull drawing thing. I think if you love the INSTRUMENT - how it plays, how it feels, how it sounds - then the decorations won't matter as much to you and you just get over it.

Hi,
The first guitar I had in mind was the Epiphone Standard Plustop pro Cherry Sunburst but then I figured it'd be stupid to spend about 436 euros on an Epiphone when I know I'd immediately want to start saving money to buy a Gibson. I don't really like the color of that Epiphone because it looks fake and cheap (just like the headstock), in my opinion. But I like the sound.
I would love to buy a Les Paul Slash signature but as much as I love Slash, it would feel 'tacky' to own a guitar that has his name on it. I feel like it lacks personality.
I do love the sound of the Gibson 2015. Sound is definitely the most important to me. :)

drpietrzak

Reaction score
The 2016's are nice, to me, than the 2015. The 2012, 2013 and 204's are pretty nice as I would see it as well. I really like my 2013 LP Studio, and have no desire for a standard at this point. While not an LP the 2014 SG Standard I have is also a very nice guitar.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.
I'm looking to buy my first Gibson Les Paul Standard (preferably in the shade Cherry Sunburst but I really like Trans Amber too).
It's really hard to choose a guitar because there's so many to choose from so I'm asking you guys for advice.
The only guitar I currently own is a Fender Squier. I've had this guitar for 6 years and I feel like it's time to buy a new one. But I don't come from a rich family and as an 18 year old girl it isn't easy at all to afford a Gibson. I'm trying to sell some old stuff on ebay to bring in some extra money. However, someone who lives in my area is selling a new, unplayed Gibson 2015 Standard in the shade Cherry Sunburst for a very good (but still expensive for me, at least) price.

I've read many mixed reviews about the 2015 models. Some say the G force system comes in handy, others say it's useless and that it doesn't work properly.
The G force system makes the headstock look bad, in my opinion.
Also, the font that says "Les Paul 100" isn't really my taste.
I know this is superficial but if I'm gonna buy 1 Gibson I want it to look as "Gibson" as it gets - no "Les Paul 100", I prefer the classic "Les Paul model" font (don't we all?) but I'd get used to it eventually, I guess.
I mean, I would be MORE than happy with any Gibson but I want to make sure that I make the right decision.

I would also like to mention that I am a huge fan of Guns N' Roses. And I do want to be able to sound like Slash (his AFD & UYI sound + his MJ Give In To Me & Black or White sound) but I also want to create my own sound. I love the sound of a Gibson Standard plugged into a Marshall amp with Seymour Duncan Alnico pro's.

Anyway, I would like to know your opinion on this guitar. Do you think it's a good idea to buy this one or not?
+ many people say Gibson hasn't put out anything great after 2010 so which Gibson Standard would you recommend me?
I'm also interested in the Gibson 2016 because they don't seem to have too many unnecessary features but those are impossible for me to afford.
Anything over 2000 euros is nearly impossible to afford, actually.
I'm also unsure about the thicker neck. Not sure if I prefer a slim or thick neck - is the difference between a slim and thick neck really that huge?
I know this is a lot of info but I'm just trying to give you some insight on my situation. This is kinda urgent so any help would be greatly appreciated so please guys, help me out. :) Thanks in advance!

For that sort of money, get what you want, and don't compromise. If you don't like the looks or G-force, don't get it. Gibson necks come in three basic profiles -- 50s (thick, round, broad shoulders), 60s (slim), and the '15's offset neck. Your best bet is to play the particular guitar you're wanting to buy before you pay, because the profiles are general, and each individual neck is unique.

As for Gibson not making anything great after 2010, that's not true. They've definitely had QC issues, but I've played some great newer Gibbys.

ido1957

Reaction score
Tough call - I know looks are important (though truly meaningless when you're playing) but they will push you away from a good guitar because it looks weird. I have never bought a guitar that looks weird. Call me shallow. All my guitars are either black or white with good necks and great sound.

Buyers remorse could bite you if you buy something you kind of like but it's not "perfect" (or at least good enough).

I buy a guitar every 20 years or so, so it's a long term proposition. I don't buy and try, I'm in it for the long term so I make sure that I'm totally satisfied with my decision.

I bought my first LP (Deluxe Goldtop) at age 19 or 20. I prefer to spend a lot and get a good quality guitar that lasts for years and I don't want to swap parts to make it better.

There's a lot of guitars out there - find one that you love to play. Never settle.

rjshare

Reaction score
first up - yes the necks are that different and you need to establish what you like before you go any further and to do that you have to try them.

personally i wouldnt go for a standard because you are going to put a lot of money into it for superficial stuff you dont need and it sounds like you dont have the money to be frivolous with right now.

since the 50s gibson have made good and bad guitars and will more than likely continue to do so, so you just have to find one you like - there are no good or bad years, just good or bad guitars.

my recommendation? either a pre 2013 studio or a 50s/60s tribute (which are basically studios with a cheaper paint job). you get everything essential that you get on a "classic" les paul standard without paying the extra grand for binding and a pretty maple top. OR get an sg - the best value guitars that gibson make. :rofl:

as ever on these forums, my opinion is worth precisely what it cost you! :thumb:

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pssssssssttttttttttt!

Pssssssssttttttttttt!

Take your time....be patient......buy you a .......

NORLIN..........

rjshare

Reaction score
dont listen to him ^^^^ unless you are a body builder ha ha

most 18 year old girls would struggle to lift one of them let alone play it for an hour or two :rofl:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Get out an play a bunch until one speaks to you. If it happens to be an Epiphone STD or a Gretsch or a EVH or a Heritage or an Harley Benton so be it. Have cash in hand, make an outlandish cash only offer and see if they'll take it. You'll be surprised what cold hard cash can make happen deal wise in a guitar store on a slow day.

Latest Threads