Buying Music Gear w/ Bitcoin, Dodgecoin, Ethereum, etc.

Alex

Administrator
Super Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
who was the member that sold Eric the Alex Conti burst?

I think he was in CC early? Maybe he would have some info?

jvin248

Reaction score

I'll see "Crypto payment OK" on some guitar/gear listings in Craigslist.

There may be a way to view similar listings on Reverb, and if so, that might get more store vendors not just individuals (though Reverb markets individuals as 'stores' too).

fett

Reaction score
All I have is my son's experience with Dogecoin. Other cryptos may have more creds. He's mined Dogecoin and bought them. He started years ago. He watched it go from a little over 0 to 7 cents and back to almost 0 a few years ago. It sat at less than 1 cent until Musk started hyping it and it shot up to almost 9 cents. Now, it's back to around 6 cents. He has around 91,000 of them. His cost basis is $530. I can't see how Dogecoin could be used for transacting any exchange for goods based on the volatility.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't bought gear with crypto yet....probably will sooner or later.... It's already around in different areas...

More and more common by the day....

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at some inexpensive Crypto to fool with lately, its A seriously interesting phenomenon

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will most likely be Bitcoin centric with so many big entities buying in on a grand scale...

Folks that savvy the crypto coin stuff already, skip the rest of my blathering below. Some have little knowledge of Alex' angle. I appreciate Alex for asking. A table of Bitcoin/etc. Accepted sellers/servicee would be handy for the Mule user base... May be a way to snag referral points to help pay the light bill here... Bitcoin is NOT specific according to country, continent, etc..

Folks will continue to mine and/or invest in other crypt too, but within an exchange, they can be converted to Bitcoin to purchase things...or convert and withdraw digital dollars to be dumped in your actual bank account... Digitally. Or into your PayPal account. Digitally. And you can then buy stuff with your debit card. Digitally. ;)

It's going to get a LOT bigger and more common quickly....

Redneck crypto coin analogy:

My 'checks' every month come to me digitally into my bank account.
I purchase stuff with a debit card for about everything...digitally.
Merchants are paid from my account digitally.
They pay their suppliers digitally....

Were there ANY actual greenbacks in the entire process above?

No.

I buy something with Bitcoin digitally from my digital wallet/account to merchant.
Merchant pays jobber digitally with Bitcoin.
Merchant and jobber could pay their employees digitally with Bitcoin....etc.

Any difference conceptually between the two above processes? No.

Bitcoin and other crypto coins are NOT actual coins. No tangible metal disk or paper exists... Lunch break at shop, I bought my usual Saturday beef burrito, beans, rice, from around corner from my shop...with my debit card. Digitally. Could have used PayPal. Digitally. Could have used Samsung Pay. Digitally. Apple Pay. Digitally. Etc. Digitally.

Customer paid for some strings and guitar lessons at shop this morning with a debit card. Digitally. It goes into my shop's account...Digitally. See the pattern?

I've got a bank account number on my checks....just like you.
I've got a debit card number associated with that bank account on it...just like you.
I've got a Bitcoin wallet with a long ass ID too...
So does Alex probably. I could open my Bitcoin/etc. Wallet, tell it to pay Alex the Bitcoin equivalent 'at that point in time' dollar amount and enter Alex' long ass wallet ID/Address/whatever-you-wish-to-call-it, and the transaction will propogate out via blockchain and my wallet will decrease and his increase by that amount... No banks, no 'we're in Garden Peas, Egypt, not USA, we don't take Discover card'... Direct...Wallet to wallet. Secure as hell...

Shutting up now.
edro

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just need sellers who want crypto currency...

So, be patient.
They're out there...and will multiply quickly before long... Economy pukes, alternate value go up. Gold, Silver, crypto, dirt, etc.....

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you get in on the cheap?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read about crypto in general until you fully understand how it works.... Then read about different coins out there, their purpose, etc..

Learn before you earn so you don't burn. You need to understand stuff about any particular coin and history...

Ed.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an excellent vid on how Bitcoin generally works. Remember as you are watching, most of this is happening in the background automatically. To the end-user, it is like debit or PayPal...

If you don't savvy a section, just let it run. You can watch that section again later... The second time you watch the vid, you will find your brain has put that puzzle piece on the table and looking for others to connect.

When you get the picture of how it works in general, you will have a Shazaam moment. Everything new looks hard at first glance. Sooner or later, you'll think 'aint nutting to it's.... Banking on your phone, operating your phone, texting, emailing, PayPal, shopping on phone....all of that was 'hard to understand'... Now you don't even have to think... Ain't nuttin hard...just different. Think back to your very first time logging in on the Interwebz thinking 'what do I do now?'. ;)

The big deal in all this is the blockchain concept which can be used for all kinds of stuff securely.

Anyway, watch or no, your call. Blockchain stuff is already here, like it or not. It's expanding, like it or not. You will eventually have to use services based on blockchain, like it or not... Just remember, the weird stuff is happening in the background automatically. You just use the service. You still need to have the basic understanding of the system...just like understanding things about how your bank works for you...

It ain't hard, just different.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Why, so you can spend $5K, and the next day (maybe sooner) it's basically worthless?

No thanks.

Just like the guy who spent $10K in btc for a pizza. I get/understand blockchain tech, but I don't like the fact that ALL of the transactions are "traced" - If I go to the bank, and withdraw a lot of money (wishfull thinking), nobody bats an eye. Try to withdraw/move a large amount of crypto, and the feds are on you like white on rice.

With the amount of regulation that would be put on it, it's not really worth the hassle.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then don't partake. Easy.

Banks have more reporting infrastructure than any crypto on money movement.
Interwebz already knows what cereal you prefer, when you sleep, and shampoo you use...and eleventy-seven gillion thing about you...

I question the accuracy of you statement about tracing something with no name associated with it...

Who's to say how many unique IDs I can generate and use once with my wallet. If my wallet is on a platform with a commercial entity (exchange) sure it can be tracked. My personal wallet can be a cold storage device I carry in my pocket. I could have an ID to use once. I buy something. That ID is now toast.

Track that. Even 'Black Glass' would find that a bit tough....

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest question here from someone who doesn't know.

Bitcoin is almost $60k.

If you buy something for $10k, how do you get the difference back? Can you fraction off crypto currency? :dunno:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Then don't partake. Easy.

Banks have more reporting infrastructure than any crypto on money movement.
Interwebz already knows what cereal you prefer, when you sleep, and shampoo you use...and eleventy-seven gillion thing about you...

I question the accuracy of you statement about tracing something with no name associated with it...

Who's to say how many unique IDs I can generate and use once with my wallet. If my wallet is on a platform with a commercial entity (exchange) sure it can be tracked. My personal wallet can be a cold storage device I carry in my pocket. I could have an ID to use once. I buy something. That ID is now toast.

Track that. Even 'Black Glass' would find that a bit tough....
It doesn't matter whether a name is attached, or not. Anything is traceable through the internet.

How else do to think people are getting busted for using crypto (for nefarious purposes) on the darkweb?

When the feds get involved, no amount of "encryption" is going to protect anyone.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest question here from someone who doesn't know.

Bitcoin is almost $60k.

If you buy something for $10k, how do you get the difference back? Can you fraction off crypto currency? :dunno:
Good question.

Bitcoin is NOT in denominations. You can use fractional as in a decimal fraction. If I was going to pay you $100 in Bitcoin: The software can convert and send you the following Bitcoin. Free yourself from thinking Fives, tens, twenties, etc. Below is the equivalent at the point in time.

100 US Dollar = 0.001719 Bitcoin (BTC)

Latest Threads