Buying from a quality online retailer?

protestheriphery

Reaction score
The times I've decided to buy new gear online, I've had mixed experiences, as to be expected. My best experiences have been with Sweetwater. My worst ones have been with Guitar Center, big surprise.

Ive decided I want to get a new SG from Sweetwater, but they're always out of stock. There's typically a 3 month wait on average, even aside from Covid. Makes sense. Their service is good, so I can imagine why they're popular.

Can anybody recommend an equally good retailer as an alternative, if I can't pick something up from Sweetwater? How have people's experiences been with Zzounds, for example?

The last thing I want to have happen is pay retail price on a new item thats over $1K, and have them slip me some demo model with scratches and missing parts- Looking at YOU, Guitar Center.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Zzounds is good, I recommend them, and if you want to find a smaller retailer I’d try searching on Reverb.

People have good experience with CME (I haven’t used them for big items though,) and Cream City Music is another one I’d recommend. Check out this Epi SG review- this guy’s a totally SICK player!

Another great option is Dave’s Guitar Shop- he’s an absolute legend. Similar to that is Norm’s Rare Guitars.

Last edited:

LP121

Reaction score
I can also recommend zzounds. I've bought 2 guitars from them and haven't had any problems.

meatball

Reaction score
Man , I-recommend. Ye Olde Music in Hanahan, SC.He Will Ship it to you He has good prices . Call him ... 843.747.0014. He has a Facebook page to view his shop

meatball

Reaction score
Man , I-recommend. Ye Olde Music in Hanahan, SC.He Will Ship it to you He has good prices . Call him ... 843.747.0014. He has a Facebook page to view his shop
He doesnt know Meatball,,, tell him his favorite Gamecock, Ed he will know who sent ya ,, call him he. Does. Musicians right , because he is a guitar player himself and knows. Wha We need

peobryant

Reaction score
I've bought three guitars from Wildwood and don't have enough great things to say about them. Set up is always perfect, shipping is fast and they post pictures and specs of the actual guitar you're buying.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only guitar I've bought online was thru AmericanMusical.com. No issues.

A better option would be the Member Classifieds here, if you can be patient to find what you're looking for.

protestheriphery

Reaction score
Zzounds is good, I recommend them, and if you want to find a smaller retailer I’d try searching on Reverb.

People have good experience with CME (I haven’t used them for big items though,) and Cream City Music is another one I’d recommend. Check out this Epi SG review- this guy’s a totally SICK player!

Another great option is Dave’s Guitar Shop- he’s an absolute legend. Similar to that is Norm’s Rare Guitars.
Chicago Music Exchange looks legit.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Chicago Music Exchange looks legit.
As are all the other shops I’ve listed. A cool thing about both Dave’s and Norm’s is their collections! Dave’s is really something unique, and Norms Rare guitars has an incredible collection as well really cool YouTube videos.

protestheriphery

Reaction score
A local shop might be able to arrange a purchase and contact-free pickup.
Good point, I didnt think of that. The upside is if a local shop has it in stock, I can drive over there and hold it in person. I'll be able to confirm if I like it, right then and there.

If I get it shipped, there's a chance I might not like something about it. Then I'll have to go through the whole tedious task of shipping it back. The only upside to the shipping option is some stores let you choose between different weight guitars. Also, I get to do an unboxing vid, and the whole "shiny new toy" experience.

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A better option would be the Member Classifieds here, if you can be patient to find what you're looking for.
And they accept paypal gift!

Latest Threads