Buying a Used LP Online

brashboy

Reaction score
Used from GC will cost you more than used on the open market. I’ve had good experiences talking on the phone to the person I’m buying from, asking questions and asking if they’ll accept it back if it’s not to my liking (assuming I’ll pay shipping of course). If BOTH parties are on the level and decent human beings, it all works out.

Not necessarily. Comes a point when every merchant has had an item way too long and needs to turn it. I look for those. Not so easy to get a bargain on a LP, though, because of demand and because the values are known.

EDIT: On the GC website, search the used gear, then you can apply the filter Price Drops and look for markdowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

pillbug

Reaction score
Maybe I’ve been lucky, but, ...

I’ve bought one on eBay that was fine (also bought a Strat and an ES 135 on eBay, they were fine too).

Bought an LP and two Strats on Reverb, no issues.

Bought 4 on CL, all good. Had a 5th one I walked away from after an in-person inspection. Consider CL as a concierge-service garage sale.

Now, probably the best LP deal I’ve got was at Sam Ash on the last day of the month. If you want to score at Sam Ash or GC and want the ability to return it (not to mention playing it to your hearts content in the stor before finding “the one”) then you’ve got to calculate whether the extra cost (retail plus tax) is worth those conveniences.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
The one time I tried to buy used GC online, the selling store (in Georgia) sold the amp after they'd already charged my card, and then took three days to reverse the charge even after I'd spoken with the manager.

I wasn't impressed and while the security of their return policy is a good selling point, I'd really rather do cash-and-carry.

brashboy

Reaction score
The one time I tried to buy used GC online, the selling store (in Georgia) sold the amp after they'd already charged my card, and then took three days to reverse the charge even after I'd spoken with the manager.

I wasn't impressed and while the security of their return policy is a good selling point, I'd really rather do cash-and-carry.

Something similar to this has happened to me at MGR on a rosewood tele; a guy had walked in the store the night before and bought the guitar, but it was still on the website, because when they sell something in the store, the sale does not automatically drop the item off the website--still shows as available until a human deletes it. (It appears that an online sale does automatically show the item as sold.) The guys at MGR had been complaining about that to corporate for a while. But MGR processed my card payment and it took a couple of days to get the credit done. They were very nice, very professional. Happens to them (or used to) a lot.

Your case is the opposite of mine, and I think there can be no excuse for that happening; it's almost like a sales guy deliberately torqued your sale in order to top-sell it to a favored customer... I mean, you were first. I call it the guitar commission blues. After his local buyer has walked out of the store with the guitar, it is a fait accompli, and you the out of town guy gets the screwing. This should not happen, should not even be possible, but it does.

SOOOO, I usually call the store to make the purchase over the phone, not online, because then I can ask questions, and the sales guy on the phone actually cares because he gets the commission (they get bupkis for online sales), gets the guitar in his hands. They are VERY helpful, which the website ain't. Then, after I buy it, it comes off the frickin wall for packing, because he knows that another sales guy can still top-sell that guitar, and if that happens my sales guy loses a commission. You bet it comes off the wall.

Hasn't happened to me at GC, but I'm sure it will. Like Rick Moranis said in Spaceballs, "even in the future, nothing works." I called on one yesterday, a nice 84 Baretta bullseye, and the sales guy told me the guitar was MIA, can't find it anywhere in the store, and they think it was stolen. Still on the website, though.

brash

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
SOOOO, I usually call the store to make the purchase over the phone, not online, because then I can ask questions, and the sales guy on the phone actually cares because he gets the commission (they get bupkis for online sales), gets the guitar in his hands. They are VERY helpful, which the website ain't. Then, after I buy it, it comes off the frickin wall for packing, because he knows that another sales guy can still top-sell that guitar, and if that happens my sales guy loses a commission. You bet it comes off the wall.

I did call to verify it was still in stock. I didn't ask them to take it off the floor, because I couldn't imagine that they wouldn't have a process in place to prevent double-sales ... or that they'd actually sell it again without caring.

Foolish me.

The store called me back the next morning to give me the news. I spoke to the manager then, asked for the reversal of charges, and was told that they wouldn't show up as he'd stricken them from the closed credit batch. They showed up, all right, and both of my subsequent calls were met with his seemingly earnest, but entirely useless apologies. I didn't want his apologies, I wanted my $400.

My mentioning this all here is just me doing exactly what I told him I'd do: let people know of my extremely dissatisfying experience. Forgive my spending this much time on it.

brashboy

Reaction score
My mentioning this all here is just me doing exactly what I told him I'd do: let people know of my extremely dissatisfying experience. Forgive my spending this much time on it.

Hey, it's all grist for the mill, and good stuff to know. Being careful is all you can do. I like making sure the GC guys are getting the commission and really taking care of me to protect that commission. Ditto with MGR, SA and others.

palmerfralick

Reaction score
Question

I'm considering buying a used LP online to get the most bang for my buck. The obvious problem is the inability to play it first and asses any issues.

Help me with my thinking here. I would think the safest bet would to buy used from GC's used inventory and play it at the store and return it if its a total flop. That way I can bypass return shipping charges and any other hassles. Is this a smart play?
If you don't like it and you can return it what's the holdup? buy it.

Latest Threads