Buying a Speaker Cabinet help

bserrill

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a 1x10 Marshall cabinet with a Celestion G10F speaker (stock from Marshall)---playing a Marshall JVM1H 1 watt head. I am just about to get a Phaez SIBLY/Corona 2 channel 7 watt amp head---very excited! I am thinking about changing my speaker cabinet to a 1x12 size. I think the 1x12 size will allow me to change out speakers more easily than the 1x10 size if I want to try different speakers. Where do you recommend I purchase a 1x12 speaker cabinet?

I could just get a stock Marshall MX112 cab from Sweetwater as an example or get something custom made. Just looking for some help from you guys on the best path to purchasing a 1x12 speaker cab. Thanks so much!

Ben

Vortex

Reaction score
Built my own a few months back. Before I did I was looking at these.

Carvin.com : 112V 1X12 100W CABINET

Peavey Vypyr 112 Guitar Speaker Cabinet (1x12") at zZounds

This is what I built.
vortex-albums-sunn-picture70142-black-box-053114-001.jpg

4Daughters

Reaction score
What are you willing to spend? You can buy unfinished cabs for around $150 or go the finished route. Finished route with tolex and the whole 9 yards depending on what you want in the way of wood gets a little more expensive. You get what you pay for if you ask me.
I have a cab I bought from Lopo Line a couple of years ago that I finished. The one in my avatar. The only thing I dislike is it is not deep enough and sounds kind of thin.

BTW yes a cab for a 12" speaker would be perfect for your needs.

4Daughters

Reaction score
What are you willing to spend? You can buy unfinished cabs for around $150 or go the finished route. Finished route with tolex and the whole 9 yards depending on what you want in the way of wood gets a little more expensive. You get what you pay for if you ask me.
I have a cab I bought from Lopo Line a couple of years ago that I finished. The one in my avatar. The only thing I dislike is it is not deep enough and sounds kind of thin.

BTW yes a cab for a 12" speaker would be perfect for your needs.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hold your horses. Buy this from me.. It's a mint Marshall 1931 from the 80's it has a 1 12 celestion G12 75. PM me for details. This is the real deal...

20141102_083839_zpsgnyop4bn.jpg

Trout

Reaction score
If you want a cabinet on the cheap, go to the pawn shop (or search craigslist) and find a clapped out 1x12 combo amp and bring it home and re-purpose it. Who cares what chassis it has in it, since you just want the cab anyway. I noticed that some of the less expensive new 1x12 cabinets you can buy today are thin and cheap and don't sound good. I recently tried an Egnater 1x12 cab, and it was just one grade above cardboard as far as build quality and sound quality. I've bought a few old Peavey and Crate SS amps that had rock solid cabinets. They make excellent extension cabs. I've found these for as little as $30.

I am currently playing a Laney Lionheart head, and my "cabinet" is a JCM 2000 DSL 401. Even though I still use the Marshall, I bought that entire amp for less than I would have had to pay for a "new" 1x12 extension cabinet.

Mosster47

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run Blackstar HT-408 cabs for all of my low watt stuff now. If you do the math they push WAY more air than a single 12 in a cab about the same size so you'll get less ear fatigue.

I was skeptical at first. Then i got one and ordered another the next week.

bserrill

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I have a few other questions....Does the material make much difference in the speaker cabinet? Pine vs. birch vs. plywood.

What are you thoughts on open back vs. closed back? Is the heavier with more distortion sound more associated with closed back cabinets?

What are the best cabinet builders out there from your experience? Thanks!!

Ben

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think about a slightly over-sized convertible cabinet. Over-sized because most speakers bring more when they have the extra cabinet volume breathing room. Convertible means the middle third of the back can easily be removed for when you want open backed and what comes out the back to add to the mix and closed when you're playing outside or with a big space behind you. Also, some speakers are designed to perform better in one environment or the other. This way you can keep the cabinet and change out speakers.

There are a couple of cabinet makers associated with MLP and also the one everyone knows, Avatar. Go many layers Birch Ply or Solid Pine and built bullet proof.

An Eminence Wizard or Cannabis Rex would be a nice speaker choice. Actually, there are a bunch that are better depending what you're looking for. Be VERY deliberate on your choice as well.

Welcome to the 12" club. IMO, they bring so much more than 10's.

I hope this helps.

bserrill

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help on a cabinet and speaker. I decided to go with a Stage Craft 1x12 Blues Jack cabinet--baltic birch. It will be paired with an Eminence Private Jack speaker...in the style of a Greenback. Going with the convertible back too to try some different options. They were extremely helpful in letting me pick out the specs and ask plenty of questions. Looking forward to getting it soon!

Ben

EndGame00

Reaction score
I have a closed-back 1x12 Jet City cab... Swapped the crappy stock Eminence to WGS Reaper HP (50-watts)...I cut out at least 2-inch wide slab on the back panel as port... Not a big fan of a 1x12 closed back cab...

Latest Threads