Buying a new 60"s Standard . Anything different in 2019 and 2020 ?

linv5800

Reaction score
Buying a new 60"s Standard . Anything different in 2019 and 2020 ? Heard great things about the
2019s but looking to owners to give me the scoop. Id really appreciate it. This is a major buy for me so
any info will be appreciated . Thanks everyone !
I got the Epi Joe Bonnamassa " Norm Burst " and surprising enough its wonderful .

integra evan

Reaction score
They are the same. In fact they are getting rid of model year designations, even though you'll still be able to decode the serial number to tell the year.

linv5800

Reaction score
Try to find a one piece body
Id love to , gut Gibson has upped its game and their good at hiding it .
But , believe me , I will try.
And thanks to all for input. Please , keep it coming.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope
some were built in 18 too....
absolutely perfect guitar in every way imho

-chris

PauloQS

Reaction score
The first 5 digits serial numbers on the guitars made in 2019 follows 1xxx9, whereas the 2020 follows 2xxx0, where xxx is the day of the year the neck was stamped or something. For instance 10339 refers to the 33rd day of 2019, which would be February 2nd.

danzego

Reaction score
Id love to , gut Gibson has upped its game and their good at hiding it .
But , believe me , I will try.
And thanks to all for input. Please , keep it coming.
Look at the bottom of the guitar at the strap button..It’s generally pretty easy to spot when you do that.

With that said, I’d put more effort into finding the best sounding and playing one. One piece versus two piece body should be way at the bottom of one’s list of priorities.

Injector

Reaction score
The harshell case. 19's are made in Canada and 20's in China or Costa Rica (I do not remember)
I have Gibson cases from all their suppliers and the Costa Rican cases are the best. TKL QC has nosedived badly over the last few years.

dCi_king

Reaction score
I have Gibson cases from all their suppliers and the Costa Rican cases are the best. TKL QC has nosedived badly over the last few years.

That is subjective. The only advantage that I see is that it has a security key. My 2019 came perfect from factory. The 2019 TKL model have improved their quality compared to previous years.

I have seen 2017 and 2018 models and all of them were a totally disaster being brand new.

Last edited:

pondcaster

Reaction score
Again, that's kinda subjective. I've had 4 TKL cases in the last 6 mos (still have 2) and one CR one. The TKLs are just nicer, all the way around, imo. Both are good cases though. Ymmv.

Justin_Case

Reaction score
Around early March Gibson started shipping cases made in China. Visual distention is the stitching of the bottom of the case vs the formed / wrapped tolex of the TKLs

1590155111267.png

Injector

Reaction score
Again, that's kinda subjective. I've had 4 TKL cases in the last 6 mos (still have 2) and one CR one. The TKLs are just nicer, all the way around, imo. Both are good cases though. Ymmv.
The TKL cases are cheap and nasty outside. Tolex with lumps and bumps under the surface, badly cut & poorly glued seams and off-centre clasps etc are extremely common. The Costa Rican cases are thicker ply, way heavier and they don't have the tolex flaws. People prefer the TKL name due to its longstanding history with Gibson but for me the quality is simply unacceptable.

Out of five brand new Gibsons purchased over the past 18 months, three have had TKL cases so flawed that they were unacceptable. A dealer swapped one of them but we had to go through four unopened Les Paul Standard boxes to find one that was OK. The dealer agreed with me by the way, I wasn't being overly picky. The other two times Gibson themselves posted me a replacement and on both occasions they sent a flawless Costa Rican case. It's interesting that they didn't send TKL. I expect they know that it's a crapshoot and didn't want multiple returns.

All the cases are brown and have the same Gibson logo on the side. Who cares where they are made or the manufacturer so long as the quality is decent. Gibson should give TKL their marching orders.

linv5800

Reaction score
Around early March Gibson started shipping cases made in China. Visual distention is the stitching of the bottom of the case vs the formed / wrapped tolex of the TKLs

This case is exactly like the Epi Joe Bonamossa case that comes with his new Norm Burst .
Except for the pink fuzz inside , lol . Nice Guitar and case though .
Everyone here is so helpful and knows their stuff. Its appreciated .

View attachment 464020

linv5800

Reaction score
Ok , wish me luck . Im about to buy my first LP Standard .
What color ? lol Bourbon Burst ? I kinda like Unburst .
Ok , its done. Got the Bourbon Burst . Be here Wed. Will post pics
Cant thank everyone enough. Not one post wasn't considered when I bought it

Last edited:

Latest Threads