Buying a more modern faster playing Gibson?

GermHerm

Reaction score
What is modern? If you are looking vor a slim neck check out for a 60th style LP, an SG or a Flying V. If you would like to have a more 'modern' sound use modern interpretations of the PAFs like Duncans, DiMarzios or Barenuckles of UK. My two Euro-cents.

reelman955

Reaction score
Hello from Ireland!

I am a Gibson fanboy and my no.1 is currently a 2013 R8. It sounds amazing, feels amazing, and is just everything. But it also has heft and a big chunky neck and so it doesn't feel right when I want to play something different - maybe something a bit harder and faster and dirtier.

So I am on the hunt for a second guitar.

I put "modern" in the title and maybe that is the wrong word - but certainly I'm looking for something with a slimmer faster type of neck. And maybe something a bit lighter.

I have my eye on the new Flying Vs - especially the hot pickup white 70s model. But of course I am a world class bedroom guitarist so maybe the Flying V isn't the best for sitting down. Still I think it would be a nice wing man for my R8.

Are there any other Gibson guitars out there that I am overlooking? SGs (to me) seems to be too similar to a LP but I know I'm being picky now. Just looking for something a bit different when I know that my R8 will always be my no.1.

Cheers for reading!
Simply find and then play/try out any gibsons with the 60’s slim neck. I have a smaller hand and my 92 LP Standard neck is perfect. I also have a 61 reissue SG. I love the tone and weight of it but it has a wide nut that hurts after about 30 min. I also recently picked up a Fender American pro Tele HS. Has a humbucker in the bridge. It has a nice slim fast neck. Good luck.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson Les Paul Axcess hardtail or floyd.

ManicPete

Reaction score
OP checking in again! Thanks for all the amazing replies!

It's interesting to hear all the SG love in here. Visually, the Flying V just looks so cool to me. I'm trying to convince myself to not just bite the bullet and buy a CS 58 Mahogany reissue. It is expensive - and If I am spending that money I'd much rather get a white V - but the mahogany one is local and I can't get a white CS V without importing. Argh!

That said the more sensible option - one that I've had in the back of my mind since the beginning - is a SG Junior. I'd love to add a P90 to the family and get a simple no frills badass guitar which will also have the slim taper neck. That would be my preferred SG option.

But as many say, I really should try before buying. I can't do that so easily at the moment due to everything, but I will keep looking online to see what V and SG Junior options are out there.

Keep the opinions and support coming. Great to chat about all of this!

Last edited:
Reaction score

It's interesting to hear all the SG love in here. Visually, the Flying V just looks so cool to me. I'm trying to convince myself to not just bite the bullet and buy a CS 58 Mahogany reissue. It is expensive - and If I am spending that money I'd much rather get a white V - but the mahogany one is local and I can't get a white CS V without importing. Argh!

That said the more sensible option - one that I've had in the back of my mind since the beginning - is a SG Junior. I'd love to add a P90 to the family and get a simple no frills badass guitar which will also have the slim taper neck. That would be my preferred SG option.

But as many say, I really should try before buying. I can't do that so easily at the moment due to everything, but I will keep looking online to see what V and SG Junior options are out there.

My son was just in Dublin (his mom’s family is there - mainly Howth) and sent me pictures. Grafton St was almost empty! Bewley’s was easy to get a table. Your lockdowns don’t look like ours. Hopefully you’ll get lots of vaccines soon.
And a white V is cool. I almost got the Grace Potter model. But I’m not good or young enough to pull it off. Cheers.

AlbinB

Reaction score
Perhaps the frets are an area to explore. The 58 may have taller, thinner frets, for some a different fret profile may be more important than the neck shape in achieving the desired result.

smallstar67

Reaction score
Hello from Ireland!

I am a Gibson fanboy and my no.1 is currently a 2013 R8. It sounds amazing, feels amazing, and is just everything. But it also has heft and a big chunky neck and so it doesn't feel right when I want to play something different - maybe something a bit harder and faster and dirtier.

I put "modern" in the title and maybe that is the wrong word - but certainly I'm looking for something with a slimmer faster type of neck. And maybe something a bit lighter.

I have my eye on the new Flying Vs - especially the hot pickup white 70s model. But of course I am a world class bedroom guitarist so maybe the Flying V isn't the best for sitting down. Still I think it would be a nice wing man for my R8.

Are there any other Gibson guitars out there that I am overlooking? SGs (to me) seems to be too similar to a LP but I know I'm being picky now. Just looking for something a bit different when I know that my R8 will always be my no.1.

Cheers for reading!
I'm of the belief that you should have different LP's. For example my Gold top is heavy, has a thicker neck but I switch over to my Custom's which are lighter and thinner, then move to something you might like it's a 2010 LP Standard, chambered so it's light weight. The Standard has the stock 50's style PAFs, and some added bridge micro tuners but man it screams. I constantly rotate guitars, they all play different and sound different. I find exploring each one every few days is the way to go.

Geronimo

Reaction score
Hello from Ireland!

Cheers for reading!
This is my 2019 Gibson Custom Les Paul Special DC Figured top. I love my 2013 R8 but this is all I play now. It weighs 7.4 lbs, I have access to all the frets and it sounds glorious.
FD34D86C-87DB-4D16-9B08-E41B8C97BB3C.jpeg
FD34D86C-87DB-4D16-9B08-E41B8C97BB3C.jpeg

lwchafin

Reaction score
I've got a 2014 LP Studio Deluxe that has a chambered body and 60s slim taper neck that is fast (not that I can really challenge that capability) and has medium frets. It's also got a beautful flame top in Ice Tea Burst, but that's beside the point. AlbinB's comment about frets is worth noting. My shredder kid has a couple of Ibanez wide, thin Prestige necks with lower, wider frets than anything on any of my Gibsons or Epis or Fenders for that matter, and those Ibanez frets definitely make a world of difference (to say nothing of the Prestige neck).

ae5

Reaction score
ESP Eclispses are nice for a modern playing LP style, outside of Gibson.

yea I was goi g to suggest this as well. If you live Les Paul’s but just want a more modern take with a faster neck and such eclipses are VERY nice. Otherwise ifyou want to stay with Gibson I’d also say go SG. They’re light as hell and play and sound awesome.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
have you checked into the 2020 Modern lp or sg? 2020 Epiphone prophecy line?

the ESP's seem to have all the features you're looking for and their aggressive single cut look just nails the
"mean les Paul" vibe.

bentfinger

Reaction score
I know what you mean.
The 60's neck, if you can find a good one is lovely, both on an SG or 335 but
have you seen Albert Lee on his Musicman?? whoa.
And the man himself (LP) did have a telecaster.
My 2nd guitarist in the blues band I played in could get from 0 to 90 MPH on his very low set up Strat!!!
He would tell me that "it wasn't the guitar you fool, its my hands that are moving fast!"
Good luck though. You'll know it when you find it!!
B

Reaction score
Hello from Ireland!

My 2018 Les Paul Standard has a slim taper asymmetrical neck that is nice and thin (for a les paul) and is a 12 radius on the bottom and a 16 up top (something like that) for easier and faster playing. It's pretty fast. A Les Paul Modern from the current line up has the same neck, I believe. My action is super low, and not too buzzy.

Sunbury les paul man

Reaction score
I've had this issue ManicPete. I got myself an R1960 with a real thin neck, big frets, put 9s on it. I
its a shred machine. ALso got Grovers on it which I reckon help with tuning post big bends. My other option for the really heavy stuff was a 67 flying v in ebony with extra hot pickups super comfy to play sitting down.

Get one of those.

Over and out

DBDM

Reaction score
I'd suggest you look at a Firebird. The smaller pups provide a different, hotter sound to a standard LPR and the neck is thin enough to give you the feel you're looking for.
Firebirds, both Reverse and Non-Reverse. Once you figure out how to wear one your fingers will fly also your back, neck and shoulder will thank you.
I was scrolling down to say "Firebird". I think it all depends on what you really want. There are subtle differences but most sold bodied Gibsons with Gibson Humbuckers will sound remarkably similar. Obviously there are subtleties. The Firebird with the firebird pickups (which are not mini humbuckers as some will sometimes suggest) will fit the bill of what you describe. i prefer the non reverse. Added bonus is that they typically have a lower resale value when compared with other similarly appointed Gibson. Full disclosure--one of my favorite guitarists, Clarence Gatemouth Brown played a non reverse Firebird. He epitomized the phrase "fear the man with only one guitar"
S4w-GTSW-011-ClarenceGatemouthBrown'sGibsonFirebird (1).jpg

HomerThompson

Reaction score

Dude, get an SG junior, i have a 65’ it rocks so hard, easy neck

wully

Reaction score
Hello from Ireland!

Cheers for reading!
Those thin finish explorers they did, some years back are really light (mine is, anyway) and super comfortable to play, either sat or standing..
How about something with p90s? The 2016(?) LPs (60s Tribute T?) they also did HP versions with easier upper fret access, that year, if memory serves, but don’t bet your life on my memory, lol..

DBDM

Reaction score
If you want my REAL recommendation--get a Buckethead Baritone Signature or a Buckethead Baritone SG. I had both. They are phenomenal guitars. I recently got mine (see my epic post about it) and could not be more happy. I feel like an 18 year old with his first guitar (I am 50)

Latest Threads