Buying a Martin Acoustic-My first~

Jendrix

Reaction score
Hey guys, i wanna buy an acoustic but only being a les paul guy who knows close to bare about acoustics, i wonder if you guys can help me out here.

I'd like to get an acoustic cause I'm into songwriting, I'm more into a strumming style and would like the tone to be not too bassy, like certain martins (not all martins are bassy though).

So if you know any acoustics, preferably under Martin which doesn't: sound bassy, do please tell :)

Having a neck on the thicker side is a plus though, not really necessary.

I'm also looking into the Taylor big baby, it's not a bad start.

jppr8

Reaction score
you REALLY are going to have to go play them and try them out. The variability from one acoustic to the next even for the same model is large. There are a TON of Martin models. They will definitely have something to your liking. But Gibsons and others are nice too. So, find a store that has a good selection and then spend an afternoon there trying them all out.

teame1

Reaction score
Why a Martin? The Name?
Now is a good time to buy a Martin if you have $1k+ to spend. It's a buyers market especially for second hand models.
You need to be a bit more specific as to what type you want?
Larger bodied models cost a lot more but are designed for performance rather than home use. I recommend you google martin and research the model types......then go to a guitar shop and try them to see which one works for you.
Then compare the opposition for the model that most suits you. etc
Good luck T

Jendrix

Reaction score
Why a Martin? The Name?
Now is a good time to buy a Martin if you have $1k+ to spend. It's a buyers market especially for second hand models.
You need to be a bit more specific as to what type you want?
Larger bodied models cost a lot more but are designed for performance rather than home use. I recommend you google martin and research the model types......then go to a guitar shop and try them to see which one works for you.
Then compare the opposition for the model that most suits you. etc
Good luck T

Well Martin does have it's history, so yeah most probably because of it's name. But I'm quite open to other suggestions though, not dean though, the headstock is just too much for me.:shock:

Unfortunately for me, my local guitar stores don't stock martins or any other well known brands, so i'll have to get mine off the internet. It'd be great if you guys can give me some suggestions, I've tried martin's website and personally i don't know where their sound difference is, all i see are all sorts of martins with different price range.

My budget somewhere around $1500, preferably less. But i don't mind to splurge a little more if it's top quality.

mymindsok

Reaction score
Martin's are wonderful guitars if (And only if.) you can find a good example of whatever model you decide on and unfortunately, as with many guitars, the really good examples are few and far between.

I would suggest that you go find a dealer who specializes in acoustics or martins and try as many different guitars, in as many different configurations as you can stand to play. Then make a decision.

Having owned several Dreadnought guitars of different brands, I would suggest that you look at the OM and "000" sized instruments. They have a better balance between bass and treble and they're smaller, while still being more than loud enough to perform with.

An even better bet might be one of the Epi Masterbuilts. I own own one of these EF500RA guitars and I'm more than happy with mine. In fact, my Epi is actually better built and sounds better and has a nocer neck, than any Martin or Yamaha that I've owned, including my Martin D-41 or my OM 28 and it cost a lot less, at $800 OTD.

CRAIGSLISTO8020.jpg

CRAIGSLISTO8019.jpg

CRAIGSLISTO8023.jpg

Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RA Acoustic Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

If you're really sold on owning a Martin and need that name on the headstock, go ahead. Been there/done that but if value, performance and build quality make any difference to you, you owe it to yourself to at least look at these Epi Masterbuilts.

teame1

Reaction score
Yeah, buddy.

Psst. Wanna buy a great Epiphone?

Hypocritical asshole.

:lol::lol::lol:

Another productive post River.
Where's the usual inane picture?
Such prose. You ought to be a poet!
Your age in years sure has surpassed your IQ.

teame1

Reaction score
Well Martin does have it's history, so yeah most probably because of it's name. But I'm quite open to other suggestions though, not dean though, the headstock is just too much for me.:shock:

Unfortunately for me, my local guitar stores don't stock martins or any other well known brands, so i'll have to get mine off the internet. It'd be great if you guys can give me some suggestions, I've tried martin's website and personally i don't know where their sound difference is, all i see are all sorts of martins with different price range.

My budget somewhere around $1500, preferably less. But i don't mind to splurge a little more if it's top quality.

Your price range covers a lot of guitars.
Buying unseen is a risk.
Personally I like Gibson acoustics. It's a personal choice.
I also like Guilds. They are really good acoustics. I've got a D25 all Mahogany which sounds greats.
As said though, I think you need to take a road trip to work out which body type etc you like.....then take it from there.
Look for a good acoustic forum to pose this question might also be a good idea.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Breedlove is a great brand but expensive.

Martins are great, come on, everybody here knows Martins are the definition of what a steel string should be.... let's not kid ourselves... But Martin also offers now FORMICA guitars that sell for $500 because of the brand.

And for those who can't believe this, I can post the video where the Martin Rep calls their material "the same as Formica"... but its available on Youtube.. go research before you throw the money on some brand.

Get an acoustic that has a solid top, 100% solid wood, and a neck you feel comfy with. Try them out.. Some brands like Alvarez, Yamaha (I love Yamaha acoustics) and even some Epis will cut it for you, you just need to give it a whirl.

PS: don't buy ANYTHING with a plywood top, it's wasted money, stay away from laminated tops!

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your price range covers a lot of guitars.
Buying unseen is a risk.
Personally I like Gibson acoustics. It's a personal choice.
I also like Guilds. They are really good acoustics. I've got a D25 all Mahogany which sounds greats.
As said though, I think you need to take a road trip to work out which body type etc you like.....then take it from there.
Look for a good acoustic forum to pose this question might also be a good idea.

Sure, I'd like a million bucks too. Don't' you think a Gibson acoustic will be a bit too much money for a guy who wants to try out acoustics first? :shock:

And to think all those blues master players of the old days used crappy, broken down guitars with cracked tops... The magic's in the hands, you don't need a $2000 guitar to sound good, you just need a quality instrument and lots of sweat, practice and HEART!

Jendrix

Reaction score
Breedlove is a great brand but expensive.

Martins are great, come on, everybody here knows Martins are the definition of what a steel string should be.... let's not kid ourselves... But Martin also offers now FORMICA guitars that sell for $500 because of the brand.

And for those who can't believe this, I can post the video where the Martin Rep calls their material "the same as Formica"... but its available on Youtube.. go research before you throw the money on some brand.

Get an acoustic that has a solid top, 100% solid wood, and a neck you feel comfy with. Try them out.. Some brands like Alvarez, Yamaha (I love Yamaha acoustics) and even some Epis will cut it for you, you just need to give it a whirl.

PS: don't buy ANYTHING with a plywood top, it's wasted money, stay away from laminated tops!

Thanks for the heads up man, but would the taylor big baby be a laminated top by any chance?

I hope you guys don't mind but can you give me a few heads up on some martin models or maybe taylor even?

Jendrix

Reaction score
Martin's are wonderful guitars if (And only if.) you can find a good example of whatever model you decide on and unfortunately, as with many guitars, the really good examples are few and far between.

I would suggest that you go find a dealer who specializes in acoustics or martins and try as many different guitars, in as many different configurations as you can stand to play. Then make a decision.

Having owned several Dreadnought guitars of different brands, I would suggest that you look at the OM and "000" sized instruments. They have a better balance between bass and treble and they're smaller, while still being more than loud enough to perform with.

An even better bet might be one of the Epi Masterbuilts. I own own one of these EF500RA guitars and I'm more than happy with mine. In fact, my Epi is actually better built and sounds better and has a nocer neck, than any Martin or Yamaha that I've owned, including my Martin D-41 or my OM 28 and it cost a lot less, at $800 OTD.

CRAIGSLISTO8020.jpg

CRAIGSLISTO8019.jpg

CRAIGSLISTO8023.jpg

Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RA Acoustic Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

If you're really sold on owning a Martin and need that name on the headstock, go ahead. Been there/done that but if value, performance and build quality make any difference to you, you owe it to yourself to at least look at these Epi Masterbuilts.

Sure looks nice, but where do epiphone acoustics come from? I know for a fact epiphone les pauls make horrible electrics though, not sure about their acoustics though.

jfwund

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up man, but would the taylor big baby be a laminated top by any chance?

I hope you guys don't mind but can you give me a few heads up on some martin models or maybe taylor even?

I don't know about the Big Baby, but Taylor has the GS mini that would probably suit your needs. I love my Taylor 414ce, which is an all solid-wood "Auditorium" sized guitar (smaller than a Dreadnought bigger than an Orchestra model). It responds equally well to fingerpicking and strumming, and is a very balanced instrument. I have played the 114 and 214, which are solid top, laminated body versions of the 414 I ended up buying, and I was impressed with both the feel and the sound of them. You might check them out, as Taylors are generally (but not always) voiced a bit brighter/less bassy than Martins.

There are lots of good guitars out there, many of the names kicked around in this thread already are worth checking out. I was never too impressed with the Epiphone acoustics I've played, but that's not to say they can't be good. Another name to consider is Takamine -- I really loved the Takamine I had (to the point of wearing the frets down TWICE), and the only reason I didn't get another Tak when I bought my last guitar is that the Taylor just blew me away.

Hope that's at least a little helpful. Good luck, and make sure to take your time, play as many guitars as you can, and enjoy the hunt!

Clump

Reaction score
I've been playing for 15 months, so certainly not real experienced. I started with a crappy Dean acoustic, moved on to electric. A few months ago I picked up a used Seagull S6 cheap and it played and sounded very nice. Seagulls are made in Canada and are high quality, reasonably priced. Even though I'm a big guy the dreadnought shape is just too big and it made my right arm numb after 30 minutes or so.

I really fell in love with the Taylor sound. I ended up with a Taylor 114 and it's great. Solid spruce top, laminate sapela back and sides, under $600. This is the bottom of the line Taylor in a smaller body with no electronics. I guess it's a step or 2 up from the babys.

It would probably be worth a trip for you to get somewhere where you can try different brands. GC has a pretty good selection.

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

Eric Smith

Reaction score
I'm with you on the Martin thing. For me it isn't the name either. I wanted a Taylor pretty bad for the longest time and for the most part felt that the super plain Martins were boring. Both are high end guitars, both have big names right? I played both of about every model I could get my hands on a month or so ago and I have to say that hands down they both beat every Gibby acoustic that I played and the Martins edged out the Taylors almost every time. If you can afford one, you want a Martin. I am looking to buy one sometime in the next couple of years myself, but am trying to find a McPhearson dealer before I do. Matt McPhearson makes the worlds best archery equipment if you ask me and I figure that he more than likely makes a great guitar too.

jfwund

Reaction score
I'm with you on the Martin thing. For me it isn't the name either. I wanted a Taylor pretty bad for the longest time and for the most part felt that the super plain Martins were boring. Both are high end guitars, both have big names right? I played both of about every model I could get my hands on a month or so ago and I have to say that hands down they both beat every Gibby acoustic that I played and the Martins edged out the Taylors almost every time. If you can afford one, you want a Martin. I am looking to buy one sometime in the next couple of years myself, but am trying to find a McPhearson dealer before I do. Matt McPhearson makes the worlds best archery equipment if you ask me and I figure that he more than likely makes a great guitar too.

I respectfully disagree with this sentiment. It seems to me that the "Martin or Taylor" thing is similar to the "Fender vs. Gibson" thing. Both are quality instruments, both have their own sound and their own design philosophy, and both attract a passionate following. Last year I played every Taylor and Martin in the $2000 and under range that I could get my hands on, and found myself liking the sound and the feel of the Taylors, generally, more than the Martin. It's a matter of preference, you won't go wrong with either.
I don't think you can really say one brand is better, as it's so dependent on individual taste. Is a $2000 Martin better than a Taylor Big Baby? Of course. And a $2000 Taylor is better than the $600 all-laminate Martin (don't remember the number but it feels like plastic). But get them in the same general bracket, and it comes down to the individual instrument, not the name on the headstock. If you prefer Martin, great, you're in good company.:acoustic:
But I think the OP needs to get out there and just play lots of different guitars to find out what speaks to him.

As long as it's not an Esteban... :D

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So if you know any acoustics, preferably under Martin which doesn't: sound bassy, do please tell :)

I can't tell you what to buy, but I can tell you that I have a Martin D-28 that does not sound bassy to me. Quite the contrary, it seems more trebly to my ears. This guitar was made in 1952, belonged to my Father who passed it on to me back in the 80's. It's served me well enough that I haven't felt the urge to buy anything else. The type of strings you will use has a lot to do with how it will sound although it seems to me that the tone of this guitar has gotten brighter through the years. Definitely not for sale, I started learning on this axe 45+years ago. It's still a work in progress BTW. :)

Martin1.jpg

Clump

Reaction score
I can't tell you what to buy, but I can tell you that I have a Martin D-28 that does not sound bassy to me. Quite the contrary, it seems more trebly to my ears. This guitar was made in 1952, belonged to my Father who passed it on to me back in the 80's. It's served me well enough that I haven't felt the urge to buy anything else. The type of strings you will use has a lot to do with how it will sound although it seems to me that the tone of this guitar has gotten brighter through the years. Definitely not for sale, I started learning on this axe 45+years ago. It's still a work in progress BTW. :)

Wow! That is a beauty!

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a D-35 in June and I absolutely love it!!!! Doesn't sound bassy to me and the resonance is just unbelievable!

Good luck Jendrix!

Eric Smith

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with this sentiment. It seems to me that the "Martin or Taylor" thing is similar to the "Fender vs. Gibson" thing. Both are quality instruments, both have their own sound and their own design philosophy, and both attract a passionate following. Last year I played every Taylor and Martin in the $2000 and under range that I could get my hands on, and found myself liking the sound and the feel of the Taylors, generally, more than the Martin. It's a matter of preference, you won't go wrong with either.
I don't think you can really say one brand is better, as it's so dependent on individual taste. Is a $2000 Martin better than a Taylor Big Baby? Of course. And a $2000 Taylor is better than the $600 all-laminate Martin (don't remember the number but it feels like plastic). But get them in the same general bracket, and it comes down to the individual instrument, not the name on the headstock. If you prefer Martin, great, you're in good company.:acoustic:
But I think the OP needs to get out there and just play lots of different guitars to find out what speaks to him.

As long as it's not an Esteban... :D
Actually I agree with you, but if I had a vote based on my own personal experience, and please understand that I too have played as many Taylors that I can get my hands on, the Martins get my vote. I like the Taylor guitars. Heck, I totally wanted one and thought for sure that the Martins were ugly and that the folks that played them were somewhat pretencious. I'd play either brand with great pleasure, but the guitars that I have played, probably as many as 25-30 of each brand, I just happen to have been convinced that I like the Martins better.

Latest Threads