Buy a Burny for the inlay?

nopea

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was looking around at a local second hand shop here in Japan last week and I came across a Burny RLC-65 - I am basing that based on the pickups in it (VH-1) and the headstock inlay (lightening bolt - with winged truss rod cover). It would appear that this was from the early to mid 90's Dyna Gakki build (I would have to be able to look under the PUPs and electronics to know more).

I currently have a Burny RLC-70 John Sykes from 1999 (date in the bridge pickup cavity) which also is a Dyna Gakki build. By the late 90's the Dyna Gakki Burny's have a 3 screw truss rod and artisan headstock inlay (I got mine for a deal of about $170 USD - I think the shop thought it was a MIC Burny and priced it as such).

The guitar I saw recently would be practically the same guitar I already have except for the headstock inlay and truss rod cover (also has gold hardware where the John Sykes has nickel hardware). The lightening inlay seems to be more sought after (behind the split diamond Burnys), do you think it would be worth buying a guitar that is almost the same as one you already have because of the more sought after look? Thinking it might help with resale value if I ever did decided to part with it.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Only if that look is important to you.

I admit I'm a sucker for split diamonds, but I have plenty of custom types that don't have one either. A great guitar is a great guitar and it's totally ok with me that they don't look like the big G.

nopea

Reaction score
It is an urge that I am fighting for sure. 98% of this guitar is the same as one I already have, but that 2% difference (the inlay) is a strong urge. :D o_O

Latest Threads