Bursts Weight (1958-1960)

ToneDigger

Reaction score
I searched if the topic already existed but couldn't find one, so i made a statistics for the average weights for Gibson Les Pausl in the years 1958-1960 (the Burst years), and came with these numbers:

1958 - average weight: 4.148 Kg = 9.144 lbs
1959 - average weight: 4.004 Kg = 8.828 lbs
1960 - average weight: 3.982 Kg = 8.778 lbs

Kglbs
Average weight 58-604.0218.864
Max. weight 58-604.4119.724
Min. weight 58-603.6748.099

Mind it when you talk weight numbers in reissues :)

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen the chart of documented weights ... those averages in pounds is pretty much what I recall. Super light ones were rare, boat anchors were rare. Most of them were in what many of us consider the LP sweet spot.
The averages are probably at least close, but I don't think the minimum and maximum weights are accurate. Aren't there sub-8 and 10+ lb. Bursts in existence? I know 9 0291 is supposedly one of the lightest non-chambered LPs ever documented, for example.

BDW60

Reaction score
As I recall, 8.1 was the lightest one I saw on the chart. But that may not be every burst ever officially weighed. And it’s been awhile since I saw it ... Pretty sure it was here.

Mine is 8.8 pounds. Had them heavier, had them lighter, but always have favored that specific zone. Feels right in hand and on strap.

ToneDigger

Reaction score
The averages are probably at least close, but I don't think the minimum and maximum weights are accurate. Aren't there sub-8 and 10+ lb. Bursts in existence? I know 9 0291 is supposedly one of the lightest non-chambered LPs ever documented, for example.
The lightest one SN is 9 0299 (3.674 Kg)
The heaviest one SN is 9 1927 (4.411 Kg)
i don't have the statistics on the SN you mentioned.

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
From the statistics in the book “Beauty of the Burst”
That's what I thought. There are many, many Bursts not documented in that book (obviously).

Of those not listed in BOTB, there have been numerous ones that have surfaced that fall outside those weight parameters.

Last edited:

ToneDigger

Reaction score
That's what I thought. There are many, many Bursts not documented in that book (obviously).

Of those not listed in BOTB, there have been numerous ones that have surfaced that fall outside those weight parameters.
Probably, but you can say we have enough information there to understand the average weights and learn about the weights from that era.

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
and what difference does it make?

like girls, some are heavy, some are lighter, some can love you for a lifetime, some you move on after a few minutes. No definitive data to prove it makes a difference short of hands on experience. Might as well rank them by height.

danzego

Reaction score
Well, I do know that my '20 V1 R0 is exactly the same weight as the average, so that sits well with me. :hmm:

ToneDigger

Reaction score
and what difference does it make?

like girls, some are heavy, some are lighter, some can love you for a lifetime, some you move on after a few minutes. No definitive data to prove it makes a difference short of hands on experience. Might as well rank them by height.
it makes no difference. you may continue whatever you were doing before reading this thread.

MSB

Reaction score
it makes no difference. you may continue whatever you were doing before reading this thread.
my response was definitely snarky, not really my intention. You've clearly done some research, it was more directed at, why? Any evidence that it makes a difference, or just that you love bursts? I've had a few and haven't found many consistencies other than i get older and my tastes change, so judging one is hard because I change more than said guitar.

Latest Threads