Burstbucker Pro's History and ID'ng

LPnme

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2004 LP Standard My only, so it's my No1..anyway according to Gibson Specs it is supposed to have BB Pro's in it. I purchased it w/ DiMarzios and no originals supplied.

I just bought a bridge pickup that is supposed to be from a new LP Standard, but it has no stickers (wound by PS or PAF) just has the Gibson USA stamped into the metal backing plate. Resistance is 7.9k and is wax potted. I'm thinking it's a 490R, but I know Gibson can be funny sometimes with inconsistencies.

First question - Can this be a RHY PRO pup?
#2 - I read somewhere that the BB pros only just starting using wax potting (2010) True or not?
#3 - Anyone have a clue as to what a 2004 BB pro set looks like and ohms out to?

Thanks in advance...

LPnme

Reaction score
Ok,

How bout I put it this way... Is there anyone who has a LP Std 2008 or newer that has looked at the back of their pickups? If yes, what did you see?

The history stuff, I'll research on my own. But need to know if anyone has looked at a std issue of recent vintage...

2009LPGT

Reaction score
I just changed my BB Pros out on my 2009 Standard.

They have 2 stickers on the back, specifically the bridge: 1) Small black and centered "Patent Applied For" and 2) White sticker that says "Lead Pro (Wound by PS) 09/21/09 0486"

No stamped nomenclature at all on the back. Just the stickers.

Not sure about wax potting. No evidence that I can see but I am certainly no expert.

If I can get a good photo of them (going to sell) I will post here.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
You do know that the pickups loaded in USA Standards has changed through the years, right?

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
#2 - I read somewhere that the BB pros only just starting using wax potting (2010) True or not?
#3 - Anyone have a clue as to what a 2004 BB pro set looks like and ohms out to?

Thanks in advance...
On question No. 2, the BB Pros are supposed to be wax potted from the time they were introduced. This is what mainly separates them from BB 1 / BB 2 / BB 3 which, are not.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
BB pros have AlNiCo V magnets, BB 1 BB 2 and BB 3s have AlNiCo II magnets.

Core

Reaction score
On vacation right now so I don't have my LP with me but I have BB Pros in it. It's an 08 Custom and measures 14.8K bridge and 8.3K neck. Other than that I can't tell you as I have not taken them out yet.

BTW it plays a lot hotter than my Tim Shaw equipped '82 Custom. They measure out at 7.4k for both so I'm assuming you may not have Pros as the measurement you state is low compared to mine.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
I have never known any Burstbuckers, Pros or otherwise, to measure much more than 9K ohms, and seldom over 8.5K.

Those seem like measurements for 490R/498T to me.

nwobhm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2004 LP Standard My only, so it's my No1..anyway according to Gibson Specs it is supposed to have BB Pro's in it. I purchased it w/ DiMarzios and no originals supplied.

I just bought a bridge pickup that is supposed to be from a new LP Standard, but it has no stickers (wound by PS or PAF) just has the Gibson USA stamped into the metal backing plate. Resistance is 7.9k and is wax potted. I'm thinking it's a 490R, but I know Gibson can be funny sometimes with inconsistencies.

Thanks in advance...
Your probably right about the Gibson USA pickup, being a 490R.

Core

Reaction score
I have never known any Burstbuckers, Pros or otherwise, to measure much more than 9K ohms, and seldom over 8.5K.

Those seem like measurements for 490R/498T to me.
That could very well be. I was told they were BB Pros by the GC who I picked it up from (You know how they are) and from all the info I had found on the LPC's from 08 they were supposed to be BB Pros. I'll have to open it up and see for sure now.

LPnme

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all your replies...

I'm thinking that I have a 490R pup.

CORE - Customs usually (newer ones) got equipped with 490R and T's I would agree with SCATTERBRAIN and that you have the hotter 498T in the Bridge. Your neck pup is actually ohming out to a 490T spec. I think that Gibson tries to match them so maybe someone gave the neck a little more than spec and thus the bridge matched well to that neck or vice-versa.

'9LPGT - I tried to read those pots in your post. Tones look like 500k - A taper. Are the volumes 300K B tapers. I cant make out the values...looks like 300k D but i'm not sure. Leme know when you get a chance, thx.

LtKojak

Reaction score
The only way to be sure is to look at the baseplate.

If it has short legs, twelve holes in it and the polepiece space is 49.2mm, it's a 490R.
If it has short legs, twelve holes in it and the polepiece space is 52mm, it's a 490T.

If it has long legs and have only six holes it could be difficult to assert which one it is, as it could be a BB Pro, a BB2 or a '57 Classic.

A picture's worth a thousand words, you know...

Custom53

Reaction score
I just changed my BB Pros out on my 2009 Standard.

They have 2 stickers on the back, specifically the bridge: 1) Small black and centered "Patent Applied For" and 2) White sticker that says "Lead Pro (Wound by PS) 09/21/09 0486"

No stamped nomenclature at all on the back. Just the stickers.

Not sure about wax potting. No evidence that I can see but I am certainly no expert.

If I can get a good photo of them (going to sell) I will post here.
My '04 Standard had the same type pickups...

LPnme

Reaction score
Kojack,

Same size legs as pups in above pic. (same size legs as a BB Pro about .500in or 12.2mm), 12 holes, 49.2mm spacing Gibson embossed in the steel back. Still back to believing that its a 490R.

LtKojak

Reaction score
Kojack,

Same size legs as pups in above pic. (same size legs as a BB Pro about .500in or 12.2mm), 12 holes, 49.2mm spacing Gibson embossed in the steel back. Still back to believing that its a 490R.
Yes, the baseplate with twelve holes is the tell. It most probably is a 490R.

This is the most underrated of all Gibson p'ups; it just doesn't have the right magnet for the wind. Put a polished A4 magnet in it and it becomes the best of all Gibson neck p'ups. Other good magnet choices for this p'up are Roughcast A5, UnOriented A5 and A3.

HTH,

LPnme

Reaction score
Maybe its not the magnet type, but how much it's charged...

Stylemaster

Reaction score
The only way to be sure is to look at the baseplate.

If it has short legs, twelve holes in it and the polepiece space is 49.2mm, it's a 490R.
If it has short legs, twelve holes in it and the polepiece space is 52mm, it's a 490T.

If it has long legs and have only six holes it could be difficult to assert which one it is, as it could be a BB Pro, a BB2 or a '57 Classic.

A picture's worth a thousand words, you know...
Good to know.

Latest Threads