BurstBucker Pro vs 61R set for SG?

DjPsychic

Reaction score
Not to bring up a dead topic, but the pickups in the 2013 SG Standard '61 I just bought are nice. I think they are the '57 classics? The cleans are wonderful, such a well balanced tone. with my fuzz pedals they get the job done, but thinking I might still want a little more huevos

Someone earlier, or possibly on another thread of mine, made the point that players back in the day were using A2's, but weren't T-Tops A5's? Is using 2 A5's in an SG not common practice?

robertoa1a

Reaction score
I recently installed the 61 set in a LP. At first I thought the A5 magnets were a little bright in the bridge position for my rig and it didn't dial down the way I wanted with the guitar tone control.
Prior to doing a magnet swap, I tried waving a neodymium ring magnet over the screw side to degauss the magnets a bit. It worked and I love the sound of these '61's now. You can do this with the guitar plugged in and hear immediate results. I'm assuming what I was really looking for was '59 tributes (same as '61 but with A3 magnets), but they are rare. I would only try the degauss trick with A5 magnet pickups because it could suck the life out of weaker magnets and won't work on ceramics.
I like the '57 classics in my other guitar but wanted more bite. I'm a fan of the '61's if you don't need an over-wound pickup.

paddybrown

Reaction score
I have BB Pros in my Les Paul Standard, and 61s in my LPM. I definitely prefer the 61s. They have slightly less output, but they feel hotter. They're definitely brighter and smoother, especially in the neck. The neck BB Pro is a bit harsh and subdued for my tastes, but the neck 61 is lovely and clarinetty. I upgraded the circuit board on the LPM to give me coil splits, and the 61s split sound springy and telecasterish and can take more volume roll-off. The "tuned" coil taps on the BB Pros are too muddy for me. So for me, 61s all the way.

Trevor

Reaction score
Not to bring up a dead topic, but the pickups in the 2013 SG Standard '61 I just bought are nice. I think they are the '57 classics? The cleans are wonderful, such a well balanced tone. with my fuzz pedals they get the job done, but thinking I might still want a little more huevos
57 classics sound great in SGs and many came with them from the factory that way. As with most pickups they're pretty responsive to height adjustments. Another suggestion would maybe be a set of Seymour Duncan Saturday night specials.

downrazor11

Reaction score
Prior to doing a magnet swap, I tried waving a neodymium ring magnet over the screw side to degauss the magnets a bit. It worked and I love the sound of these '61's now. You can do this with the guitar plugged in and hear immediate results. I'm assuming what I was really looking for was '59 tributes (same as '61 but with A3 magnets), but they are rare. I would only try the degauss trick with A5 magnet pickups because it could suck the life out of weaker magnets and won't work on ceramics.
How did you do this? Where did you get the neo magnet? Is there a video or page describing the process?

And.. is it reversible?

Thanks!!

EDIT: Not a troll, I know I have a low post count but that's bc I usually post over at thegearpage, strat-talk, and tdpri.. Also, no longer use a LP but love and use BB pros in my strat..

Latest Threads