BurstBucker Pro vs 61R set for SG?

DjPsychic

Reaction score
Im looking to put a set of pickups in a 60s tribute SG I just purchased (as some of you already know). I’m trying to decide between a set of BB pro’s and the 61r.

Any insight on your experience with these pickups would be greatly appreciated.

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
I have BB Pros in my Les Paul. The neck is great but the bridge version can sound too harsh. In case you often use vol and tone pots you can get a much smoother sound. The pickups are great and you can switch to more distortion with turning up the vol pot.

Always depends on the sounds you'd like to play with these pickups. Both have ALNICO5 magnets. No experience with the 61 set.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
61R / 61T combo was used in the 2014 SGJ as well as some of the recent SG Standards. Never heard of BB's installed in an SG before. No rules on what pickups you want to use.

DjPsychic

Reaction score
61R / 61T combo was used in the 2014 SGJ as well as some of the recent SG Standards. Never heard of BB's installed in an SG before. No rules on what pickups you want to use.
Hmm...I think the “61 tribute” SG I bought originally Came with BB1 & 2 stock. I started looking for A5 upgrade and came across the BB pro.

DjPsychic

Reaction score
I have BB Pros in my Les Paul. The neck is great but the bridge version can sound too harsh. In case you often use vol and tone pots you can get a much smoother sound. The pickups are great and you can switch to more distortion with turning up the vol pot.

Always depends on the sounds you'd like to play with these pickups. Both have ALNICO5 magnets. No experience with the 61 set.
I like sabbath, cream, fuzzy rock stuff (sleep, other “stoner”’rock/metal stuff)

Maybe the pickups with most “balls”?

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Also Gibson's 498T pickup is equipped with an A5. All DiMarzios as well.

In case it must be an A5....

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
I like sabbath, cream, fuzzy rock stuff (sleep, other “stoner”’rock/metal stuff)

Maybe the pickups with most “balls”?
I'd check out the Super Distortion from Dimarzio, the Slash APH2 Pros or Gibson's 490r & 498t combination. :hmm: Remember it's not all about the pickup.

DjPsychic

Reaction score
I'd check out the Super Distortion from Dimarzio, the Slash APH2 Pros or Gibson's 490r & 498t combination. :hmm: Remember it's not all about the pickup.
For sure. I’m trying to keep it Gibson for now, easier to resell if the time comes (just my experience/opinion no scientific proof).

jbash

Reaction score
The PRO set will have a bit more output at the bridge position.

If the current 61s are wound like the 61Z of 2014/2015 they will have a screw coil hotter than the slug coil which makes them brighter overall. The Pros have the slug coil with more turns than the screw coil.. So it's kind of a wash. Both are bright A5 sets. But as stated the Pro bridge will be a touch hotter.

If they are too bright, either take mag swaps great, and it's an inexpensive and easy mod. Unoriented A5 or A2 are my go-to. The 61s with A2s are essentially the 59 Tribute set- the Pros with A2 are essentially the Burstbucker 1/2 set.

DjPsychic

Reaction score
Hmm...man too many options. Just give me the best ones! (Jk)

I’m using the SG mostly to test fuzz pedals I’m currently building. It’s going to be my dedicated humbucker guitar.

So looking for a nice well rounded classic rock humbucker tone, maybe with a little extra huevos. Nothing extreme.

I was lucky enough to own a LP with t-tops a while back, and those of course were amazing.t on a slightly tighter budget these Days

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
498Ts were stock pickups in SGs for a while. I don't know about the exact output but I wouldn't mind about the 498 as it's a highly recommended and often used pickup for what you play. It's not all about the output. Note that back in the old days guitarists often played pickups with A2 magnets or with low/moderate-output pickups!
High output doesn't mean it's a metal pickup and vice versa.

DjPsychic

Reaction score
Not that anyone cares but grabbed these to try. I bought because of the extra "mojo" ;)

(I got at a significantly lower price than asking btw dont worry)

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Often an A2 pickup is used in the neck position. In case it must be an A5 you could either go for a magnat swap or check out a SD Jazz (SH2) which has an A5 magnet. Great pickup for the neck position. Or check out a 36th Anniv. from Dimarzio!

DjPsychic

Reaction score
Often an A2 pickup is used in the neck position. In case it must be an A5 you could either go for a magnat swap or check out a SD Jazz (SH2) which has an A5 magnet. Great pickup for the neck position. Or check out a 36th Anniv. from Dimarzio!
Interesting, so most LPs come stock with A2 in neck?

Like I stated before I’m trying to keep it gibson but thanks for the recommendation!

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
The famous 490/498 combo offers an A2 in the neck position. As many players use the neck pickup for sweeter sounds, an A2 pickup has established itself. But an A5 will sound great as well, just different. You could go for a Burstbucker Pro if you'd like to stay with Gibson.

Latest Threads