Burstbucker 3 humbucker ....

KC LesPaul

Reaction score
I got a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro a few months ago.

It came stock with these pickups:
Neck - 57' Classic (4-conductor for split-coil 'aka' single-coil)
Bridge - Burstbucker 3 (4-conductor for split-coil as well)

I love the 57' classic in the neck.
But the BB3 is just a little too harsh for what I play.
So I'm looking to replace (sale or trade) it with something that will compliment the 57' Classic in the neck.
Any suggenstions???

I'm looking to sale/trade it for:
57' Classic
57' Classic Plus
Seymour Duncan Antiquity
Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
OR something similar.

Any other suggestions on a bridge pickup that would compliment the 57 classic in the neck???

FYI- Burstbucker3 pickup sells for $129 new.
My BB3 is only a few months old and practically brand new.
Make me an offer/trade!

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

[email protected]

Attachments

• BurstBucker3  4-Conductor WaxPotted.jpg
    BurstBucker3 4-Conductor WaxPotted.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 28

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
You would get more responce if you put it in the member classified.

Obsequio

Reaction score
Try lowering the bridge 7/32 from the string both treble and bass side and see what happens

KC LesPaul

Reaction score
Try lowering the bridge 7/32 from the string both treble and bass side and see what happens

Thanks for the tip... Unfortunately, I have tried about everything possible.
I'm pretty sure I'm just going to do the "safe" thing and get a 57' Classic Plus.

Now... I just have to find a 57 Classic+ (zebra) with 4-conductor/wire. :rolleyes:
And, sell my Burstbucker 3!

M.C.J.

Reaction score
Yeah, the Burstbucker 3 is a pretty hot, high output pup. I don't know why Gibson would select it with a '57 Classic pup, which to me is more of a moderate output pup.

Burstbucker 3 pups sound great with lots of gain, preferably from a true high gain amp (not a moderate gain amp with some kind of super distortion pedal in front).

I'd say a '57 Classic plus in the bridge, or a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge might be more to your liking.

Some people have put the hotter pup in the neck, and the more moderate pup in the bridge. I don't know if you like that idea or not, but it has been done. The only problem that I see with that approach is that the pole piece spacing might be a little off, but it might not be such a big deal in your guitar (only you know for sure).

Hope this helps. Good luck.

splatter

Reaction score
One I don't think I suggested is a SD custom custom . It may go well with the 57

KC LesPaul

Reaction score
Yeah, the Burstbucker 3 is a pretty hot, high output pup. I don't know why Gibson would select it with a '57 Classic pup, which to me is more of a moderate output pup.

Burstbucker 3 pups sound great with lots of gain, preferably from a true high gain amp (not a moderate gain amp with some kind of super distortion pedal in front).

I'd say a '57 Classic plus in the bridge, or a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge might be more to your liking.

*M.C.J.
I think you are right. I will most likely play it "safe" and go with either a '57 Classic Plus, or a '57 Classic.
Which is a whole other question/discussion in itself! :rolleyes:

From the clips I've heard online (which is hard to go by, because they are never completely accurate), It seems like the original '57 Classics are a little "darker" sounding than the brighter '57 Classic Plus with higher output.

Your thoughts????
Or anyone's thoughts???

As far as the Pearly Gates.... If I could somewhat explain the "tone" I'm chasing, it would be somewhere between Billy Gibbon's "Heads in Mississipi/Blue Jean Blues/etc" AND Slash's smooth solos when he uses his neck pickup with the tone pot rolled back.
I'm sure your thinking... "Uh, those are pretty different sounds".
LoL, you right!
But I feel like I can get the darker, smoother, slash solo tone from my 57 Classic in the neck (with the use of my amp/pedals)....
Therefore, that leaves me with finding something that can get me the Gibbon's sound in the bridge that is COMPATIBLE and COMPLIMENTS the neck pickup. (basically I don't want such a drastic change in tone/sound from the neck and bridge, that when I switch back & forth it is completely obious).
Hope all that made sense :D

By the way guys, thanks for all your input and help!!
It is GREATLY appreciated :cheers:

Some people have put the hotter pup in the neck, and the more moderate pup in the bridge. I don't know if you like that idea or not, but it has been done. The only problem that I see with that approach is that the pole piece spacing might be a little off, but it might not be such a big deal in your guitar (only you know for sure).
Hope this helps. Good luck.

I may be wrong in my thinking, but I would rather have a lower output in the neck so the solos are more "smooth" and less harsh.
But I've never put a hotter one in my neck, so this is just based on my opinion.

KC LesPaul

Reaction score
One I don't think I suggested is a SD custom custom . It may go well with the 57

Splatter...
I actually had someone wanting to trade his SD Custom Custom (sh-11 I think?).
But from what I heard on audio clips and YouTube, it wasn't quite what I was looking for.
I think I would rather go with a 57 Classic or 57 Classic Plus.

By the way, I've been meaning to respone to your private message. I just haven't had a chance. Sorry bro.
Thanks for your time, recommendations, and input! :cheers:

freddarl82

Reaction score
As far as the Pearly Gates.... If I could somewhat explain the "tone" I'm chasing, it would be somewhere between Billy Gibbon's "Heads in Mississipi/Blue Jean Blues/etc" AND Slash's smooth solos when he uses his neck pickup with the tone pot rolled back...

Therefore, that leaves me with finding something that can get me the Gibbon's sound in the bridge that is COMPATIBLE and COMPLIMENTS the neck pickup. (basically I don't want such a drastic change in tone/sound from the neck and bridge, that when I switch back & forth it is completely obious).
Hope all that made sense :D

Are you aware of the background/pedigree of the Pearly Gates?!? Seymour Duncan was trying to copy/emulate/duplicate the sound of Billy's "Pearly Gates" Burst. Opinions vary on how well he succeeded, but I think it does a pretty good job for a production pickup. As for matching up with your 57 Classic, it should be fine -- they are both meant to be vintage PAF-voiced. The 57's have a rep as sounding very smooth due to the matched coils, while the Pearly Gates will give you that slightly "ruder" sound (but in a good way).

Seems to me like you actually answered your own question in the quotes above..

Timshady

Reaction score
Sounds to me the Pearly Gates bridge pup would be best for what you're after. I know Gibbons uses the TV Jones pickups quite a bit. Checking those out may be worth your while as well.

Good luck.....tone chasing is half the fun of playing guitar.

Latest Threads