Burstbucker 1's in bridge?

MrFrump

Reaction score
The Gibson demo shop on Reverb has an interesting modified Les Paul Classic in Honeyburst which I have my eye on - I love the wood grain on the plain top and on the back. I'm also looking at a Standard 50s as well. Anyway, they modded this to be like a standard with the deluxe tuners and BurstBucker pickups. I think I might also like the neck better on the classics since from what I've read on here it seems like a middle ground between the 50s and 60s standards.

My issue is they say the pickups are both BurstBucker 1's and not 1's and 2's like in the standard. Is there any advantage to this set up? I know 1's are underwound and less hot but would I be missing something not having the 2 in the bridge?

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
Some of the best sounding guitars I‘ve played have had equal or nearly equal pickups in both positions. But if you’re looking for a heavier or modern bridge tone you probably won’t get it from a BB1.

MrFrump

Reaction score
Some of the best sounding guitars I‘ve played have had equal or nearly equal pickups in both positions. But if you’re looking for a heavier or modern bridge tone you probably won’t get it from a BB1.
Thanks for the input! Yeah, that's what I'm kind of curious about. I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul trad pro III plus with a Gibson Classic 57 in the neck and a super 57 in the bridge and I like the sound, just don't love the satin finish and am looking to upgrade at some point. I'm just used to seeing guitars with different pickups in the neck and bridge and it's interesting they chose to put the same pickup in both positions, unless it is a typo.

I play very little modern rock/metal etc. Mostly classic rock, classic punk, some blues and things like that. I also play in the bridge position like 95% of the time so I'm concerned about the BB1 in the bridge.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have some guitars with the same pickup neck and bridge. They were originally all that way until someone decided bridge pickups needed more output to balance against the louder neck pickup.

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that a BB1 is the closest version to a PAF and the BB2 & BB3 are just hotter versions.
BB1s in both positions would be fine with me.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
BB1 pups might just work in both positions. If it doesn't sound as you want it to, you could try a BB2 or another pup in the bridge slot and move the one you have on to someone who'd like it. My Traditional has BB1 and BB2. They came stock with the guitar and after adjusting their height and a few pole screws, I finally decided to keep them.

Classicplayer

dspelman

Reaction score
The Gibson demo shop on Reverb has an interesting modified Les Paul Classic in Honeyburst which I have my eye on - I love the wood grain on the plain top and on the back. I'm also looking at a Standard 50s as well. Anyway, they modded this to be like a standard with the deluxe tuners and BurstBucker pickups. I think I might also like the neck better on the classics since from what I've read on here it seems like a middle ground between the 50s and 60s standards.

My issue is they say the pickups are both BurstBucker 1's and not 1's and 2's like in the standard. Is there any advantage to this set up? I know 1's are underwound and less hot but would I be missing something not having the 2 in the bridge?
Vintage guitars (leastways those before the 1980s) had the same humbucker in both positions. Putting the same pickup in both positions provides this same vintage sound quality.

Latest Threads