Burstbucker 1&2 with low resistance output values

filski323

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm new to the forum and am looking forward to reading through the different threads!

Hoping to understand if the output of my BB's is too low as I've read they should be in the 7.5 KO for BB1 and 8.0 - 8.4 KO for BB2.

What i've found is that my BB1 is 5.61 KO and 5.9 KO for BB2. They came off an es-339 2016 Gibson.

BB2.jpeg

BB1.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
Ok,

Just so you know, DC resistance is not output. Minor thing but output is in volts - and its an A/C signal too.

Ok, with that out of the way, what you are seeing is odd. Its too far out seemingly for the temperature to an issue (ohm readings will change with temp - say if you've had the pickup near a heating vent it will go up, or if its been in the freezer it will read low).
Its also outside the realm of what you would see if only 1 coil was working.
The only thing I can think of is 1 coil has a break, but its close enough that you have a reading on the meter. But you don't generally see this on 2 pickups together - its pretty rare.

Are these pickups you've just bought??

filski323

Reaction score
thanks ARandall, yeah I thought it was odd too, and I only noticed once purchased from a person who claimed it was from a 2016 339. The room temp was probably around 27C.

Antigua

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm new to the forum and am looking forward to reading through the different threads!

Hoping to understand if the output of my BB's is too low as I've read they should be in the 7.5 KO for BB1 and 8.0 - 8.4 KO for BB2.

What i've found is that my BB1 is 5.61 KO and 5.9 KO for BB2. They came off an es-339 2016 Gibson.

View attachment 561529

View attachment 561528
Your DMM is giving a bad reading. Try replacing the batteries.

ARandall

Reaction score
Unless thats your slide guitar, there is a lot of setup work to be done there. Apart from the pickups being super high, it looks like the action is enough to shimmy under.

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
Your DMM is giving a bad reading. Try replacing the batteries.
Wow! Good call! I'd have never thought to replace the batteries. I'll have to file that away for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have the BB 1&2 in my Traditional and your adjusted heights are what I see on my Les Paul. More importantly, how do they sound to you? Mine sound articulate and have enough output to drive my amp the way it should be driven.

Classicplayer

Last edited:

filski323

Reaction score
I'm very impressed so far, they sound warm and thick to the tone which have that traditional LP sound I am looking for. Great fun and I find it hard to put down :D

Latest Threads