Burst Replica Build

Amast3rMind69

Reaction score
A year ago I built my Burst Replica. Guitar turned out to be a great player. In my eyes it's perfect but there are imperfections. Don't forgot a 23 year old kid built this inside a garage lol. Here are the details.

Parts
Bartlett plans
Honduran mahogany body blank.
Pre carved Honduran mahogany neck. Burst style.

Pre carved eastern rock maple top.
Eastern rock maple inlay for headstock
Fretmarkers - i used fender guitar picks and stamped out little circles.
Bartlett binding
Celluiloid lp inlays
Grover tuners
Bone nut
Duncan 59s
Nos capacitors
Ebay fake gibsongold knobs
3 way switch the really high quality gibson one lol.
Plastics i got of the philidelphia luthier online.
Hardware is a vintage 59 spec stuff from Faber.
Stewmac nitrocellulose cherry/amber/clear.
Gibson celluloid inlay
Trussrod i bought a stewmac one and welded the stud onto the rod. Inlayed it olinto the neck.

Thin fretwire from a strat build i had left over turn outs to be same thin wire used on older gibsons. So the frets are like a early 50s gibson or like a 58 burst. I dont mind the thinner frets although i know i shoukd have went with tradiational woder frets on a 59 burst.

Attachments

Amast3rMind69

Reaction score
More

Attachments

pshupe

Reaction score
Looks nice. You may want to get rid of one picture in post #6 though and any use of a manufacturer's name. What was the rock maple inlay for headstock? Do you mean veneer for the inlay?

Cheers Peter.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
I want to build a guitar so bad. I want to find a local luthier who does a guitar building class out of his garage or whatever. Then if I really like it, I can invest in some tools.

I think I'd start simple, like a LP special. No carved top & no binding, for simplicity sake. Then eventually my own 59 replica.

ajory72

Reaction score
Thats a pretty nice replica!

I did my own take on Robbie Kreigers' black custom [from he Doors] , but instead of "Gibson" in the headstock I put my daughters middle name "Riley" - I love the doors and love that guitar. But in regards to using Gibson on the headstock its an argument that will go on forever around here! [personally I can see both arguments, but sometimes you gotta stamp your mark when building guitars otherwise Gibson takes the credit :) ]

comcf

Reaction score
Great quality. I've been considering commissioning one. Although the resale value on those sucks, apparently. :) I am really itching for a single pickup R9 version though...

Rando375

Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's something to be proud of. Good job man

Felix79

Reaction score
That's a beautiful burst you've done. Good job chap.

stillaliveandwell

Reaction score
Building a Les Paul carved top is no easy matter. Especially for the home builder who doesn't have all the jigs and tools to make the job easier. Well done. Be proud of that work!

Amast3rMind69

Reaction score
Looks nice. You may want to get rid of one picture in post #6 though and any use of a manufacturer's name. What was the rock maple inlay for headstock? Do you mean veneer for the inlay?

Cheers Peter.
Yes it was veneer.

Amast3rMind69

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for there kind words. Really i means it. I built it cuz my epiphone sucked ass and im too broke to buy a nice r8 or something. The guitar turned out to be a player. The one thing that bothered me was the chunk i took out of the body by accident. So i had to fill the hole. Its just one of those things that i no is there. Kinda nuts but thats what happens when u go this far down the rabbit hole. Lolz

Last edited: