Burst Refinish Questions?

JackOrion66

Reaction score
How much should it cost to strip and refinish/spray just the top of a Les Paul with a classic cherry sunburst? Either nitro or poly. I live in Michigan but not close to any shops I am aware of that do spray finishes. I called Elderly and got someone in their repair shop who said it would be about $2500 but he seemed somewhat surprised I when asked, and maybe a little unsure. That sounded like a hell of a lot of money compared to estimates I have seen from others online. Does anyone know of any other shops in Michigan they would trust who would cost less? Or are there any reputable places I could ship the guitar to?

The current finish is a hand rubbed burst so it is not original but it is much darker than I would like. Would it be possible to achieve a lighter colored burst by having someone sand down some of the current finish and then re-topcoat it?

Could the man I spoke to at Elderly be mistaken or maybe he gave me a ridiculous price because they would not want to do it? I did not think this would cost more than $1000 even with nitro. I am in no rush, I am just shopping around to figure out what the cost may be in the future and where to get this done. I thought Elderly would be the place to go but not if that was an accurate estimate.

Misty Mountain Hop

Reaction score
Check out MJT. I know they are doing set neck finishes now. I got my 1991 Classic refinished by BadMojo but he has spread some BadMojo by allegedly stealing guitars, money, I would trust MJT as I have Two fender style guitars they did for me. Attached are pics of my Classic before an after and one of my MJT finished tele.

201410131703.jpg
6 - 1XdMG8m.jpg
14C2E489-7022-46E6-9206-B2AFDCDDBD83.jpeg

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Starr Guitars in Orlando. Check out their FB page, they are one of the best vintage-style refin shops in the country.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I'm gonna say $400 - $700 for quality work.

If you're going to spend $2,500, look what that gets you and spend it here.

MLP will collectively murder I'd you you choose poly. :thumb:

AJK1

Reaction score

Latest Threads