Burst Killer

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Ramon, come on, there’s countless reasons for this, including the fact that if you’re in a financial pinch, one is worth way more than the other…
If you're saying you know more about this than David Grissom, I have a very nice bridge to sell you.

MCT

Reaction score
If you're saying you know more about this than David Grissom, I have a very nice bridge to sell you.
Eaaaaaasssyyyy, there. No need to go down a road of tempestuousness. I’m simply suggesting that there are plenty of reasons someone would sell a burst and keep another guitar. One of which is, as you’ve suggested, because someone might perceive it as a “burst killer.” Another could be financial.

Uncle Vinnie

Amity, as you know, means friendship
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eaaaaaasssyyyy, there. No need to go down a road of tempestuousness. I’m simply suggesting that there are plenty of reasons someone would sell a burst and keep another guitar. One of which is, as you’ve suggested, because someone might perceive it as a “burst killer.” Another could be financial.

Agreed. I'd sell a '59 and keep a '54 Black Beauty simply because the '54 is a better guitar.

(Let the animus begin)

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I was a bit over the top. But I think my point stands. Somone who has owned both and is one of the better guitarists in the world would know better than most.

I wouldn't question Bonamassa on the subject. Neither would I Grissom

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given a choice between an ES-335 and a burst, I'd take the LP every time. Aesthetics over "versatility."

MCT

Reaction score
I was a bit over the top. But I think my point stands. Somone who has owned both and is one of the better guitarists in the world would know better than most.

I wouldn't question Bonamassa on the subject. Neither would I Grissom
Know what? I don’t know what we’re even talking about. He would know…that he prefers an ES-335 over a Burst? That’s not a knowledge issue, this is subjective preference. I’m not trying to be argumentative, I just don’t know what you mean.

As an aside, I love the videos you make with Bob on these topics…keep them coming!

burstone

Reaction score
This whole "killer" business is so ridiculous. They are two different models, and they sound different. Plenty of us could afford to (gasp!) own both.

It's not like they're locked in some kind of cage match from which only one can emerge.
Highlander-there-can-be-only-one.png

burstone

Reaction score
Having owned and played quite a few '58 to '64 3X5s and '52 to '60 les pauls, I prefer the best of les pauls over the best of 3X5s in terms of feel, play-ability, response, tone, and looks. Others like DG may prefer 3X5s and that is cool. :cool2:

Latest Threads