Burst colors, any guides out there?

jrsmiles

Reaction score
You can imagine this is a little tough to search for, given the terms "burst" and "color", it becomes search overload!

Soooo many different bursts out there. Is there any documentation that comes with the guitar that states which burst color the factory is calling it?

Is there a guide, or gathered info anywhere on the forum that lists out which burst colors were available for which year of production?

I'm looking to purchase an 09+ R8 and I'd like to get informed on what was offered during those times.

Best I can tell:

Washed Cherry
Faded Tobacco
Iced Tea
Sunrise Iced Tea
Sunset Iced Tea
Bourbon Burst
Deep Bourbon Burst
Lemonburst

Am I missing anything?

Second question, I see a lot of confusion between Tobacco and Bourbon. What are the giveaways to tell a Bourbon finish? I think there is a more red along the edges versus brown in Tobacco. Any thoughts?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Your list looks pretty complete to me, but who knows, maybe Gibson made a few Honeybursts or some other finishes in low numbers that year, too?

Bourbon has red in it. If you look at R8s on Gibson.com (or just search through the various picture threads here) you'll see the difference between the two.

Reaction score
Wasn't heritage cherry a colour at one time? or was that the USA models only?

Reaction score
Wasn't heritage cherry a colour at one time? or was that the USA models only?

Heritage Cherry Sunburst
_c600143_image_0.jpg
]

tspoon5150

Reaction score
It is mind blowing......In the 50' and early '60, there was basically
Cherry SunBurst, DarkBurst, Maybe Cherry Red, or Black......

Over the years the main '59 originals have faded to different colors you mentioned and then some......

It is up to the Buyer to use their imagination at what state of fade
they wish and favorite flavor of the day......

I wonder if the originals when sold new had that many choose from.....

The right color for some one buying is important, I guess, but playing
and the quality of build is more important IMO......

I think Gibson has taking it to the edge nowdays......

Guitar63

Reaction score
My 2011 R8 Figured was just called "Sunburst" by the dealer. There was no indication of the color Gibson calls it on the paperwork or Certificate of Authenticity. Maybe it is different for something from 2009. I have seen some Gibson shipping boxes where the name of the color is indicated on the label.

Here's my "Sunburst" R8:

DSC_0707.jpg

fuzzyguitars

Reaction score
i like that a lot.

kinda like a washed cherry with a little brown in it.

My 2011 R8 Figured was just called "Sunburst" by the dealer. There was no indication of the color Gibson calls it on the paperwork or Certificate of Authenticity. Maybe it is different for something from 2009. I have seen some Gibson shipping boxes where the name of the color is indicated on the label.

Here's my "Sunburst" R8:

DSC_0707.jpg

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wish they would make one in this EXACT color. They could call it whatever they want I don't care, just get the color exact and it would be my perfect Historic.

Perfect58Burstcolor.jpg

zontar

Reaction score
Call them whatever you want--as long as it looks good, but even better--that it's on a good sounding, good playing guitar