Burny Year Identification

frehley76

Reaction score
Hi,

I have this Burny on the way to me, what year do you think it is? I did some research and am thinking 1987 or 88? What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Lisa

Burny1.PNG
Burny2.PNG
Burny3.PNG

Roxy13

Reaction score
I believe that truss rod cover started in 1988. It's made by Dyna.

Your best bet with Burnys is to hope there are pot codes or a serial in the pickup cavity, but a lot of them have neither.

frehley76

Reaction score
I believe that truss rod cover started in 1988. It's made by Dyna.

Your best bet with Burnys is to hope there are pot codes or a serial in the pickup cavity, but a lot of them have neither.
Yes, it is hard to find info, I found a page that said the green caps stopped in 88, that is why I was saying maybe 87 88. I will check the pots when I receive it. Thanks for your help once again!

Roxy13

Reaction score
My Burny singlecut was also made by Dyna, but the original pots and pickups were gone. There is nothing in the pickup cavities. But, it has the old style TRC with the wide white border on it so it's probably 87.

The one in my avatar is pre CNC so likely made in 82 or earlier but no serial or dates on the pots so no idea on that one. Three pickup SGs didn't even appear in the catalog until 1989 but clearly some were made before that point. It also used to have nibs before refretting it and it has the old Gibson style diamond. Based on the routing and drilling it was made by the same factory as my white 1977 SG, but I don't know what factory that would be.

At least there is more info on singlecuts than SGs out there.

frehley76

Reaction score
My Burny singlecut was also made by Dyna, but the original pots and pickups were gone. There is nothing in the pickup cavities. But, it has the old style TRC with the wide white border on it so it's probably 87.

The one in my avatar is pre CNC so likely made in 82 or earlier but no serial or dates on the pots so no idea on that one. Three pickup SGs didn't even appear in the catalog until 1989 but clearly some were made before that point. It also used to have nibs before refretting it and it has the old Gibson style diamond. Based on the routing and drilling it was made by the same factory as my white 1977 SG, but I don't know what factory that would be.

Right, the SG looks like a beauty! I can't tell by the pics if mine has the original pots. It is supposed to come tomorrow so I guess I will see what is in there. Hopefully it is a keeper.

frehley76

Reaction score

Is 02 the date?
Screenshot_20220429-183238_Gallery.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score

I don't think so. An 02 would have a 3 screw truss rod cover. And I don't think that's the pot code. Is there anything on the sides of the pots? There should be a longer number. Like the first 3 numbers are the manufacturer's code and then the date.

@o0mobius0o as he has seen possibly more pots in Burnys than anyone else here lol.

frehley76

Reaction score
I don't think so. An 02 would have a 3 screw truss rod cover. And I don't think that's the pot code. Is there anything on the sides of the pots? There should be a longer number. Like the first 3 numbers are the manufacturer's code and then the date.

@o0mobius0o as he has seen possibly more pots in Burnys than anyone else here lol.
If there is anything on the sides my blind ass could not see it lol! I will try to dig around in there with a flashlight.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Small mirror like a dental mirror helps lol. I'll be honest though, most of my Burnys had no pot codes even when they did have the original wiring still.

I do remember the 77 Burny SG had those green chicklet caps. They had pink tubing over the leads too and I was like ewww, what a horrible color combination lol.

Dating Burnys can be a little frustrating unless there is something that helps narrow it down like the Angus SG with the lightning bolt inlays or pre CNC.

I also suspect Dyna was no longer making them by 02. The rumor is that Tokai took over in the early 2000s but I've never been able to confirm that. And I haven't had any past one SG that is 89 or early 90s.

frehley76

Reaction score
Small mirror like a dental mirror helps lol. I'll be honest though, most of my Burnys had no pot codes even when they did have the original wiring still.

I do remember the 77 Burny SG had those green chicklet caps. They had pink tubing over the leads too and I was like ewww, what a horrible color combination lol.

Dating Burnys can be a little frustrating unless there is something that helps narrow it down like the Angus SG with the lightning bolt inlays or pre CNC.

I also suspect Dyna was no longer making them by 02. The rumor is that Tokai took over in the early 2000s but I've never been able to confirm that. And I haven't had any past one SG that is 89 or early 90s.
I looked at all I could and I don't see any other codes. It does have the green caps with black tubing over the cap leads. Who knows what it is I guess lol.

Screenshot_20220429-193735_Gallery.jpg

rayspang

Reaction score
I have 2 burny 's. one has an inked 95 serial # in the rear pickup rout. the other one has pot codes on the side (318046)
The other one also has the green chicklets with black insulation on the leads. both have the winged TRC. I assumed both were Dyna made, but now I'm wondering about the 95?

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
Yes, 1990. The pots are CTS, very common and convenient for the date. The green caps are mylar and changed to yellow polyester around 1991.

frehley76

Reaction score
I changed the pickups because the stocks were pretty fizzy. Sounds much better now. I also looked under a black light and can see where there were stickers and writing. Weird.

Screenshot_20220501-065003_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220501-125509_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220501-125505_Gallery.jpg

Latest Threads