Burny RLG-105 or Edwards ...

albion59

Reaction score
I've owned two 98's and one 130 (along with a 92 as well). I got a pretty good deal on the 130 and liked the guitar, I sold it for a good deal to ethomas who I believe has already posted in this thread. He has done even more upgrades.
IMHO, if you assume that you are going to upgrade (and let's face it, EVERYONE does upgrades on their guitars eventually, even on the R9's lol!) I would consider a 98. I would try and get the absolute BEST deal on a 98 though -- I've seen them go for as low as $625US on ebay.
Then, RS Kit, swap one (probably both) pups - I don't like the JB in the bridge.
I love nitro, but I'm not completely convinced it makes that much of a difference. Even the 98 is a light coat of poly with nitro. I thought the hardware was absolutely FINE on the 98's that I owned as well.
In my opinion, the Edwards are just too light for me; they don't feel or sound exactly like I want an LP to sound. But, they are pretty sweet guitars in their own right for sure.
Figured I would throw my 2 cents in...

... and it's an appreciated 2 cents too! :D

When you say they are too light, what are you finding is missing in the feel and sound?

Also noticed from another thread that you have a few Burnys - and a very nice new addition to the family! Going back to the original question I had for this thread; do you have any views on the newer top end MIJ Burnys like the RLG-85 and 105?

joebonsai

Reaction score
Hi albion59
I can not compare a 98 to 130, because I haven't played a 98 so far, but all my Edwards I own or owned (JR 85, LP112, LP130 and a ES 125) have all similar very comfortable necks.

:hippie:

ethomas1013

Reaction score
I've owned two 98's and one 130 (along with a 92 as well). I got a pretty good deal on the 130 and liked the guitar, I sold it for a good deal to ethomas who I believe has already posted in this thread. He has done even more upgrades.

Yes, thanks for the GREAT deal on the 130. I'm really happy with the guitar.

The only change I made was to put a WCR Goodwood that I had laying around here in the bridge position. I like the Antiquities, but I found that I wanted a little more beef in the bridge position.

IMHO, if you assume that you are going to upgrade (and let's face it, EVERYONE does upgrades on their guitars eventually, even on the R9's lol!) I would consider a 98. I would try and get the absolute BEST deal on a 98 though -- I've seen them go for as low as $625US on ebay.
Then, RS Kit, swap one (probably both) pups - I don't like the JB in the bridge.

Good point. Everyone upgrades.... Even when they don't need to! We spend too much time tinkering and not enough playing. I'm not planning to make any other changes to the 130.

I love nitro, but I'm not completely convinced it makes that much of a difference. Even the 98 is a light coat of poly with nitro. I thought the hardware was absolutely FINE on the 98's that I owned as well.

Poly got it's bad reputation in the 70's with the horribly thick finishes used by Fender at the time. A modern thin Poly finish is probably indistinguishable from a nitro finish as far as tone is concerned. As far as looks are concerned, I like the way nitro ages better than poly. YMMV...

In my opinion, the Edwards are just too light for me; they don't feel or sound exactly like I want an LP to sound. But, they are pretty sweet guitars in their own right for sure.
Figured I would throw my 2 cents in...

I know what you are saying. They definitely have a different feel due to the lighter weight. But I'm really a Strat/Tele guy so the light weigh is a plus for me. Tonally, I don't find them all that different from the Gibson USA Standards that I have owned - there's as much variation in one Gibson to another as there is to the Edwards. But as a general characteristic, the Edwards guitars that I have played seem to have less low end "thump" which in the mix translates as better clarity and less mud to my ears. Again, YMMV....

Gasp100

Reaction score
"Tonally, I don't find them all that different from the Gibson USA Standards that I have owned - there's as much variation in one Gibson to another as there is to the Edwards. But as a general characteristic, the Edwards guitars that I have played seem to have less low end "thump" which in the mix translates as better clarity and less mud to my ears"
-- Hey Eric, good to see you on here as well!
I would agree with everything you mentioned here INCLUDING cutting through better in the mix. I am strictly playing at home and recording so for live mixes this is not an issue for me;
I think the Edwards are very nice overall; has anyone ever played the E-92 GT with P90's? Those are also really nice guitars!
I won't lie and say I would not choose nitro over poly :) But, it would not be a deciding factor for a purchase for me, especially if I was keeping a tight budget.
There is (was?) a nice Edwards 130 on ebay for $950 shipped; I sold mine for a decent amount less than that and I think you might be able to get in to the $800's or so on these? That is a VERY good deal to be had imho.
In the end, there is just something about the Burny that calls me to it; definitely heavier for sure (my LPC is close to 10lbs). It's probably just the older wood from the 80's, in most cases it's just my imagination I'm sure. But, I am drawn to it more than newer MIJ stuff.
And don't get me wrong, I love MIA stuff as well but in many cases I can't justify the price increase. For example, I'm eyeing up a beautfil topped LP Standard, but for a bit less than that price I will be able to bring in TWO sweet Burny's from the early 80's... it's a tough call for sure.

nwobhm

Reaction score
Get the 2 Burny's, heehee, I guess I'm spoiled since, I have a few old Gibsons aswell! ;)

tonebone

Reaction score
There is (was?) a nice Edwards 130 on ebay for $950 shipped; I sold mine for a decent amount less than that and I think you might be able to get in to the $800's or so on these? That is a VERY good deal to be had imho.

It's been relisted at .... $850 shipped .... with HSC. Super deal for sure.

Latest Threads