Burny RLG-105 or Edwards ...

albion59

Reaction score
The 130, with all of it's components and features, has got to be one of the greatest bang-for-the-buck deals goin' on a Les Paul model guitar.

1. true lacquer
2. long tenon (real long, way long from the pics I've seen, and tight, really tight fit)
3. cts, decent caps and switchcraft
4. lastly, Antiquities

Only thing it needs is maybe better bridge and tail?

Kinda hard to get a Gib TRC on it (2 screw, not the Korean type), it can prob be done.

You MUST post pics when you receive it! :naughty:

btw, have you figured on customs/duties fee's?

(apologies for the earlier off the wall tangent on your thread, Albion)

Thanks tonebone,

130 certainly seems to be getting the most loving on this thread!
Any takers on the RLG-105 before I splash out.. :fingersx:

joebonsai

Reaction score
Hi albion59
here's a 130 from Germany, no import tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ESP Edwards, E-LP-130LTS/R, Seymour Duncan Antiquity bei eBay.de: E-Gitarren (endet 02.09.09 15:41:22 MESZ)

btw import tax , Ryutaro gives a 'nicer' invoice. I my way it was always about 350$, means in Germany 19% plus 3% 'round about 60$ import tax:applause::applause::applause:

or try to get them as used, I think then there's no tax?? Am I right???

one thing on the 130 we all forget, it has a lighweight alu tailpiece stock -30gr., the 112 has a heavy one 83gr.

Have a nice sunday

:hippie:

albion59

Reaction score
Hi albion59
here's a 130 from Germany, no import tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ESP Edwards, E-LP-130LTS/R, Seymour Duncan Antiquity bei eBay.de: E-Gitarren (endet 02.09.09 15:41:22 MESZ)

btw import tax , Ryutaro gives a 'nicer' invoice. I my way it was always about 350$, means in Germany 19% plus 3% 'round about 60$ import tax:applause::applause::applause:

or try to get them as used, I think then there's no tax?? Am I right???

one thing on the 130 we all forget, it has a lighweight alu tailpiece stock -30gr., the 112 has a heavy one 83gr.

Have a nice sunday

Thanks joebonsai,

Good ebay link but ends up too expensive - The Euro/Sterling rate is nasty at the time being but Yen/Sterling whilst not at the great rate of last summer isn't too bad..

I've sent off an email to Ryutaro to get a quote on a new 130. 'Nicer' invoice certainly helps! :naughty:

You have a good one too!

Annoying Twit

Reaction score
Not that I'm looking to buy anything right now, but has anyone used Aqua Music Japan? When the "free posting" is taken account of, and searching on completed listings, the guitars don't seem to go for that much. But, looking through some of the listings, I think some of the instruments are not in as nice condition as those on Ishibashi Gakki. E.g. I found one that had a very strange mark on the back. Another Burny had odd-fitting inlays.

eBay UK Shop - AQUA MUSIC JAPAN GUITARS: Japan Vintage, Fender J Strato, Tokai guitars

A slightly annoying thing was that I lived in Japan from '87 until '91. So, a lot of this would have been going on around me, but I wasn't looking at electric guitars then.

tonebone

Reaction score
Thanks tonebone,

130 certainly seems to be getting the most loving on this thread!
Any takers on the RLG-150 before I splash out.. :fingersx:

Albion, if you find a Burny "150", grab it with both hands and don't let go! It is one of the Holy Grail MIJ's. It was basically a special order, almost a an exact duplicate of a 58 or 59 LP. Very rare. (1980-1982?)

Thanks Joe! Good info's!

Not that I'm looking to buy anything right now, but has anyone used Aqua Music Japan?

You're right, most of his offerings have some kind of "issue." Good deal's with him, though!

albion59

Reaction score
Albion, if you find a Burny "150", grab it with both hands and don't let go! It is one of the Holy Grail MIJ's. It was basically a special order, almost a an exact duplicate of a 58 or 59 LP. Very rare. (1980-1982?)

Sorry tonebone - typo on my part - should have read 105. :rolleyes:

+1 for the rarity and desirability of a 150! :shock:

albion59

Reaction score
Just had news back from Ishibashi Japan that the manufacturer (i.e. Burny) has informed them that the RLG-105 is discontinued. Anybody heard similar or can confirm? It's still listed on the official Fernandes/Burny Japan web site..

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I didn't hear about that but I think that Ishibashi wouldn't say that, if it wasn't true.

Anyways, I was wondering, did you see the link I posted in post #18?

albion59

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;1106386 said:
I didn't hear about that but I think that Ishibashi wouldn't say that, if it wasn't true.

Anyways, I was wondering, did you see the link I posted in post #18?

Yes, thanks Shifty - had a look at the japanguitars website. Some good guitars there, although a lot aren't for sale and the others are above my price range for now. I'm really looking for a current, new MIJ around the $1000 price mark - want for practice and as a reliable backup for my main Gibson.

albion59

Reaction score

albion59

Reaction score
A bit more advice please guys ...

I've decided to get an Edwards - been researching and reading up on the E-LP-98LTS also. Do you think the price difference between the 98 and 130LTS is worth it? I know the 130 has the CTS and Switchcraft goodies but put a RS kit in the 98 and...

You get the picture. What would you do?

joebonsai

Reaction score
The lacquer and the 'taste' of the neck is different, with the 130 you feel more wood, the guitar swings more than the 98.

ethomas1013

Reaction score
Many thanks for the info.

Any preference between the ELP-112 or 130; the pups are different and then there's the wiring setup on the 112 JP... what styles of music are you finding them most suitable for?

Also where did you buy from - any of Japanese sites I mentioned?

Cheers,
Tim.

I previously owned a 112 (without the super switching) and I currently own a 130. The 112 was a good guitar, but my preference is for the 130 for the following reasons:

- I prefer Antiquities over the JB/59 combination in the 112
- The 130 is reportedly a full Nitro finish. The 112 is Nitro over Poly
- Better pots, caps, and switch in the 130
- I like the vintage style tuners on the 130 better than the gold colored tuners on the 112
- Lightweight aluminum tail piece on the 130
- Less relicing on the 130. The relicing looks really good on the 130 IMO
- The 130 has a slightly larger neck profile (at least this one does), not quite as big/rounded as the Gibson '50's profile. The 112 was more like the Gibson 60's neck which I find too thin. The 130 I have is between the Gibson 50's and 60's neck profiles.

I bought the 130 used a few months ago with a Gibson USA hard shell case for $785 shipped. Look around and be patient, there's deals out there. EDIT: I just noticed you are in the UK so that may not be an option for you.

ethomas1013

Reaction score
A bit more advice please guys ...

I've decided to get an Edwards - been researching and reading up on the E-LP-98LTS also. Do you think the price difference between the 98 and 130LTS is worth it? I know the 130 has the CTS and Switchcraft goodies but put a RS kit in the 98 and...

You get the picture. What would you do?

Personally, I think this price difference for the 130 is worth it. But I like Antiquities better than the JB/59 set in the 98, and I like the lightly relic'd Nitro finish on the 130. You're also getting a light weight aluminum tailpiece with the 130.

If you end up changing the pots, caps, pickups, and tailpiece, an upgraded 98 will end up costing you about the same as a 130.

If you are OK with the pickups and the Nitro over Poly finish, then go for the 98. I have only played one 98, and it was a really good guitar - every bit as good as the 112 and the 130 as far as build, setup, and playability.

If you plan to change the pickups, pots, caps, and tailpiece, then it comes down the finish. Which do you prefer?

Good luck with your search, and post a review with pictures after you make your choice!

albion59

Reaction score
The lacquer and the 'taste' of the neck is different, with the 130 you feel more wood, the guitar swings more than the 98.

Thanks joe,

How do the neck profiles compare between the 98 and 130? - I tend to prefer more of a '50's type.

albion59

Reaction score
Personally, I think this price difference for the 130 is worth it. But I like Antiquities better than the JB/59 set in the 98, and I like the lightly relic'd Nitro finish on the 130. You're also getting a light weight aluminum tailpiece with the 130.

If you end up changing the pots, caps, pickups, and tailpiece, an upgraded 98 will end up costing you about the same as a 130.

If you are OK with the pickups and the Nitro over Poly finish, then go for the 98. I have only played one 98, and it was a really good guitar - every bit as good as the 112 and the 130 as far as build, setup, and playability.

If you plan to change the pickups, pots, caps, and tailpiece, then it comes down the finish. Which do you prefer?

Good luck with your search, and post a review with pictures after you make your choice!

Good info thanks,

Like you say, it's probably boiling down to the finish of the two..
However, I've not personally tried the Antiquities - I'm into the sound of a SH-1 '59 in the neck of most LP's. Not too keen on the JB - prefer a SH-5 Custom or a SH-6 Distortion in the bridge. How do the Antiquities compare? - I play mostly blues, hard rock and metal but like a good clean setup as well.

joebonsai

Reaction score
If you take the soundclipsfrom the Seymour Duncan Page, the Antiquities sounding more in direction of the Seth Lover PU or the 59er. They are like old PAFs, a very clean Pickup, you have to 'work' for distortion sounds. I've changed the pickups in my E-LP-112 from SH-1 and SH-5 to Antiquities. The SH-5 was too heavy for me. I really love the vintage Les Paul sound, classic like Kossof, Page or old Billy Gibbons.

albion59

Reaction score
Thanks joe,

Any views on how the neck profiles compare between the 98 and 130?

Gasp100

Reaction score
I've owned two 98's and one 130 (along with a 92 as well). I got a pretty good deal on the 130 and liked the guitar, I sold it for a good deal to ethomas who I believe has already posted in this thread. He has done even more upgrades.
IMHO, if you assume that you are going to upgrade (and let's face it, EVERYONE does upgrades on their guitars eventually, even on the R9's lol!) I would consider a 98. I would try and get the absolute BEST deal on a 98 though -- I've seen them go for as low as $625US on ebay.
Then, RS Kit, swap one (probably both) pups - I don't like the JB in the bridge.
I love nitro, but I'm not completely convinced it makes that much of a difference. Even the 98 is a light coat of poly with nitro. I thought the hardware was absolutely FINE on the 98's that I owned as well.
In my opinion, the Edwards are just too light for me; they don't feel or sound exactly like I want an LP to sound. But, they are pretty sweet guitars in their own right for sure.
Figured I would throw my 2 cents in...

Latest Threads