Burny RLG-105 or Edwards ...

albion59

Reaction score
Hi, new user here who's found the info in the forum very useful in the past.

I'm looking to import a new MIJ LP from Japan and have narrowed down the choice to either a Burny RLG-105 or one of the upper range Edwards - either the 98, 112 or 130 LTS's.

The pros I can see for the Burny are the pickups (VH1's vs SD's in Edwards), a seemingly good finish (nitro?) and from what i've heard it's made by Tokai.

The Edwards seem to get very good reviews but not sure if I like the relic job on the 112 and 130 - prefer to do my own damage thanks! I've heard the 130 (& 112?) have long neck tenon - so better sustain than the Burny?

I'd appreciate any views on this, ideally from anyone who has played either or both. Also advice on Japanese exporters would be useful - I think I've found the cheapest site with "www.soundhouse.co.jp" although "www.watanabe-mi.com" are close in price and ishibashi seem to have a great rep but higher prices..

Thanks in advance guys.

albion59

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dave.

I haven't managed to find any detailed reviews on the RLG-105. Not too popular/less well known outside of Japan maybe? Or perhaps people just trying to get hold of the older models.. Seems like a good deal for a Tokai MIJ though.

Cheers, Tim.

Dave1968

Reaction score
Tim!

Nobwhm has one, he also has older ones too. He says they are good. I know that UITA has the current custom RLG115 model when it was launched a few years ago, perhaps when they see this post they will give you a report.

My 1980's Burny is as good as a LP gets, and as its black (ebony) with a cream scratchplate it cost less being less desirable perhaps?? Once it arrived I totally forgot about my RLG105 dream.

This is my Burny:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/49855-my-new-old-burny-rlg-50-a.html

It doesn't have the original VH4's it has Greco Pup's and sounds as good as my Burstbuckers in my LP and my brothers 2001 Gibson Custom. They're good guitars!!

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Do the Burny RLG 105s really have nitro finish? From the pics I've seen it looks like poly. I know that Tokais have a nitro finish from the LS135 up.

May I also ask why it has to be a Burny? If it's a plus to you that it's made by Tokai, why don't you go for a Tokai instead? I don't know but that 3 screw TRC on the new Burny models would be a turn down for me.

Check this place, he's the German Tokai distributor. I bought two Tokais from him this year. Excellent guitars. (Plus his Tokais have the 'open book' headstock, not the UK version with that dimple)

Tokai, Guitar, Gitarren, Springy Sound, Breezysound, Goldstar, Silverstar, Les Paul Reborn, Wraparound

albion59

Reaction score
Tim!

Nobwhm has one, he also has older ones too. He says they are good. I know that UITA has the current custom RLG115 model when it was launched a few years ago, perhaps when they see this post they will give you a report.

My 1980's Burny is as good as a LP gets, and as its black (ebony) with a cream scratchplate it cost less being less desirable perhaps?? Once it arrived I totally forgot about my RLG105 dream.

This is my Burny:

My New/old Burny RLG 50

It doesn't have the original VH4's it has Greco Pup's and sounds as good as my Burstbuckers in my LP and my brothers 2001 Gibson Custom. They're good guitars!!
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the update Dave.

Nice RLG-50 - looks good in ebony. I haven't heard the VH4's but was very impressed with sound of the VH1's. Like you say, sounds easily as good as a Gibson Custom.

albion59

Reaction score
Do the Burny RLG 105s really have nitro finish? From the pics I've seen it looks like poly. I know that Tokais have a nitro finish from the LS135 up.

May I also ask why it has to be a Burny? If it's a plus to you that it's made by Tokai, why don't you go for a Tokai instead? I don't know but that 3 screw TRC on the new Burny models would be a turn down for me.

Check this place, he's the German Tokai distributor. I bought two Tokais from him this year. Excellent guitars. (Plus his Tokais have the 'open book' headstock, not the UK version with that dimple)

Tokai, Guitar, Gitarren, Springy Sound, Breezysound, Goldstar, Silverstar, Les Paul Reborn, Wraparound
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Not sure about nitro myself - heard it might be but looks suspect from pictures i've seen.

I'm interested in the Burny because rightly or not I've seen them as being maybe the most accurate of LP copies with an authentic sound. I know what you mean about the 3 screws on the rod cover though...
Also equivalent Tokais tend to be more expensive but I will definitely check out the German distributor you mentioned

Thanks for the info.

joebonsai

Reaction score
Hi Tim
didn't play a Burny LP just a Firebird, also a nice one, but I prefer Edwards, and especially the 130, I own a 112 too both are excellent instruments.......and the relic job on 130 is not sooooooo heavy.
Don't forget you do NOT need ANY upgrade, SD Antiquities, CTS, Switchcraft .....everythin on board!!! Full very, very thin nitro lacquer
...the only thing i've upgraded was a Bigsby on my 130.
These are spectecular instruments

:hippie:

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Bigsby-BeautyII.jpg
    Bigsby-BeautyII.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Babe01.jpg
    Babe01.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 68
  • To go 3.jpg
    To go 3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 51

tonebone

Reaction score
Hey Joe! Did you see the post about Jimmy Pages #1?

7.5 lb's!

What's your 112 weigh? I've heard a lot of 'em (Ed JP's) are that weight!

joebonsai

Reaction score
Hi tonebone
no didn't find that thread
please give me the link
7,5 Lb's:wow::wow::wow::wow:
the real one?????
mine has 8,3Lb's very comfortable, the 130 has the same weight 8,3Lb's but with the Bigsby!!!!!

albion59

Reaction score
Hi Tim
didn't play a Burny LP just a Firebird, also a nice one, but I prefer Edwards, and especially the 130, I own a 112 too both are excellent instruments.......and the relic job on 130 is not sooooooo heavy.
Don't forget you do NOT need ANY upgrade, SD Antiquities, CTS, Switchcraft .....everythin on board!!! Full very, very thin nitro lacquer
...the only thing i've upgraded was a Bigsby on my 130.
These are spectecular instruments

Many thanks for the info.

Any preference between the ELP-112 or 130; the pups are different and then there's the wiring setup on the 112 JP... what styles of music are you finding them most suitable for?

Also where did you buy from - any of Japanese sites I mentioned?

Cheers,
Tim.

nwobhm

Reaction score

nwobhm

Reaction score
Ah, My 2003 Burny is a great sounding one. Feels and sounds similar to my 85' Tokai. I don't know why they changed the truss rod cover though? Heard alot of good things about the Edwards aswell just, never owned one. For the money, I think I would go with a Tokai, that is if your looking for more a vintage 59' type.

joebonsai

Reaction score
Hi albion59
the difference:
yeah the pickups, I've changed my 112 to SD Antiquity plus RS Guitarworks Vintage upgrade kit (pots, cabs etc)
this is the biggest difference between both guitars; the 112 has normal not high quality pots, switchs and cabs.
......means 50-100$, depends on what you want
Another huge difference is the poly paint under the top and on the back of the neck of the 112. The 130 feels more 'woody', it's hard to explain.
The sound of neckpickup (stock) of both guitars is very similar, like a Les Paul HAS to sound.
The bridge pu of the 112 is a Seymour Duncan SH-5, it has more punch than the Antiquities. With that PU (SH-5) your are more flexible, I prefer the real ol' classic Les Paul, that's MY reason for the Antiquities.
Try the soundsample on the Seymour Duncan site, it helps a biz

I bought all my babies at
electric guitar sale,on line guitar shop,electric guitar shop,japanese guitar,guitar made in japan

mail
[email protected]

Ryutaro Tsurumaki a very gentle person

their ebay store
eBay Verkäufer: apollon-saty2004: Musikinstrumente

btw, I wouldn't take the 112 with the super circuit

albion59

Reaction score
Hi albion59
the difference:
yeah the pickups, I've changed my 112 to SD Antiquity plus RS Guitarworks Vintage upgrade kit (pots, cabs etc)
this is the biggest difference between both guitars; the 112 has normal not high quality pots, switchs and cabs.
......means 50-100$, depends on what you want
Another huge difference is the poly paint under the top and on the back of the neck of the 112. The 130 feels more 'woody', it's hard to explain.
The sound of neckpickup (stock) of both guitars is very similar, like a Les Paul HAS to sound.
The bridge pu of the 112 is a Seymour Duncan SH-5, it has more punch than the Antiquities. With that PU (SH-5) your are more flexible, I prefer the real ol' classic Les Paul, that's MY reason for the Antiquities.
Try the soundsample on the Seymour Duncan site, it helps a biz

I bought all my babies at
electric guitar sale,on line guitar shop,electric guitar shop,japanese guitar,guitar made in japan

mail
[email protected]

Ryutaro Tsurumaki a very gentle person

their ebay store
eBay Verkäufer: apollon-saty2004: Musikinstrumente

btw, I wouldn't take the 112 with the super circuit

Thanks, that's really useful info.

Think I'm leaning towards the Edwards 130 unless someone convinces me otherwise..

I've looked at the Apollon Music Shop site before and it's good to get a recommendation for them. Just waiting for a reply from Ishibashi for their pricing for comparison.

Cheers, Tim.

kherman

Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Both are great quality.

Too bad you can't get both!

tonebone

Reaction score
The 130, with all of it's components and features, has got to be one of the greatest bang-for-the-buck deals goin' on a Les Paul model guitar.

1. true lacquer
2. long tenon (real long, way long from the pics I've seen, and tight, really tight fit)
3. cts, decent caps and switchcraft
4. lastly, Antiquities

Only thing it needs is maybe better bridge and tail?

Kinda hard to get a Gib TRC on it (2 screw, not the Korean type), it can prob be done.

You MUST post pics when you receive it! :naughty:

btw, have you figured on customs/duties fee's?

(apologies for the earlier off the wall tangent on your thread, Albion)

Latest Threads