Burny Custom or Greco Custom

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Both Fujigen and Cort made Greco's with those split diamonds. The Cort models had no tenon and large rectangular pickup cavities with slightly beveled corners. That one is a Fujigen. The long tenon and proper drop cornered pickup routes are dead give aways ;)

Frails

Reaction score
Aight aight. :) Never fails...I learn from this site everyday.

shaun

Banned
Reaction score
Both Fujigen and Cort made Greco's with those split diamonds. The Cort models had no tenon and large rectangular pickup cavities with slightly beveled corners. That one is a Fujigen. The long tenon and proper drop cornered pickup routes are dead give aways ;)
I have an 80's or early 90's Cort branded LP custom. It has a long tennon and the same pup cavities as shown on the Greco.
And my 83 Greco Mint LP custom has the 'flowerpot' inlay on the headstock. To me that Greco looks too new, and the fretboard is a too lighter colour, to be an 89 Mint series. I dont know if they were still being made in 1999?

wild

Reaction score
I'm a Greco man at heart and own over 15 Grecos and have found that ones made after 1984/85 are alright but how should i put this an epiphone are better than the ones made after 84/85 but Grecos made before then with set necks are alot better than alot of Gibsons made today.... but thats my view but i've been playing since 2002 and have played at festivals and Grecos are brill but in this case i would have to say go with the Burny

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
I have an 80's or early 90's Cort branded LP custom. It has a long tennon and the same pup cavities as shown on the Greco.
And my 83 Greco Mint LP custom has the 'flowerpot' inlay on the headstock. To me that Greco looks too new, and the fretboard is a too lighter colour, to be an 89 Mint series. I dont know if they were still being made in 1999?
:photos::photos:

Yeah my 1982 transitional Greco Super Real Custom has the flower pot as well, that was fairly common starting from 82 until 88 or so but sporadically, not sure what models were deemed to receive that pot and others not. All the late 80's and early 90's Cort's I have seen have multi colored wiring, no tenon, and rectangular pup cavities. I would love to see yours mate! :D

I'm a Greco man at heart and own over 15 Grecos and have found that ones made after 1984/85 are alright but how should i put this an epiphone are better than the ones made after 84/85 but Grecos made before then with set necks are alot better than alot of Gibsons made today.... but thats my view but i've been playing since 2002 and have played at festivals and Grecos are brill but in this case i would have to say go with the Burny
I would disagree unless you are talking Fujigen made Epiphones?

shaun

Banned
Reaction score
Cort LP custom. I bought it used in 95, and the binding was already yellowed so I guess it was a late 80's. 2 piece mahog. back, 2 piece maple top, and weighs 4.6kg.
Not original pups. I still have those.

Frails

Reaction score
My 89' Greco plain top is better than any guitar I've ever played including Gibsons. Just trust me, it is.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Cort LP custom. I bought it used in 95, and the binding was already yellowed so I guess it was a late 80's. 2 piece mahog. back, 2 piece maple top, and weighs 4.6kg.
Not original pups. I still have those.

Ah OK. Yeah but that is a Cort branded and not a Cort made for Greco lol ;) All the Cort made for Greco guitars I have seen personally never had a long tenon unless it was hidden under they grey goop :p :laugh2:

MetroFox3000

Reaction score
Hello there. In your Greco collection do you by any chance have an '80/'81/'82 eg500/600+ Custom in Cherry Sunburst, or have you ever tried one? I'm in Wiltshire and am finding it really hard to find an affordable (£300-500?) MIJ Custom that won't then mean tangling with Yahoo Japan auctions, brokers, Customs charges, etc. If you were me, where is / what is a good way to score a nice Greco Custom in the EU? I'd appreciate your tales of how you have collected yours ;-)

Cheers!

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
To be honest £300-500 Greco/Burny customs are a bit of a rarity in the UK, once you factor in all the costs it's hard to import one for that cheap, especially a decent model. I sold a RR Burny on eBay for ~£300 and gotta say I let it go far too cheap, just needed to shift it at the time.

I think one of the things people forget is that people buying from YJ is they take so much risk the guitar is in a half decent condition compared to eBay plus there's the chance of customs on top. That $200 guitar doesn't end up at $200 once you've bought it.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Being that that was wild's one and only post, in July 2010, I wouldn't bank on a reply Metro...

Latest Threads