LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For me, I'll take the Mustang.

And if they decide to toss a few of them watches into the glovebox, well who am I to fret over that?

All I can say is, new shit is nice. Can be, anyway.

But there ain't much I wouldn't trade up right now to get my old 1955 Chevy I had in high school back.

meatball

Reaction score
I prefer my first car,, a red 62 VW bug , paid 300 bucks at graduation ,, loved that thing ,, my brother an I painted it by hand with hand brushes ,,, lol ,,, ,,

NRBQ

Reaction score
I like that it hasn't been restored, that's the exact car that McQueen drove, same steering wheel, paint, all of it original.

Reactions: KTM

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The lines on that fastback are beautiful. It was before Ford started making the Mustang bigger and bigger. The 70's weren't kind to car styling.

The 390 was a boat anchor. Good stable motor, but not a power builder. If you're going to drop all that weight in a small body car then just put in the 427.

scott1970

Reaction score
For me, I'll take the Mustang.

And if they decide to toss a few of them watches into the glovebox, well who am I to fret over that?

All I can say is, new shit is nice. Can be, anyway.

But there ain't much I wouldn't trade up right now to get my old 1955 Chevy I had in high school back.

Dad’s cousin bought a red ‘57 Belair brand new, and he sold it to Dad in ‘63. He still has it.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
$3.7M for a car that desperately needs a paint job.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"There's a sucker born every minute"

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess I get it... though I don't really get it.

I mean, okay: it's an exalted movie prop, left over from years gone by. So it's a sort of curio, and I suppose that I'd have spent a small amount of time looking it over if it was sitting in a movie prop museum somewhere, and I was bored enough to have paid a buck or two to go in and look at the shit.

But then: the white suit that Tom Hanks wore in Forrest Gump is (or was) on display in a window back when the Hard Rock Cafe was located on Decatur Street in New Orleans... on view for free... and I must have walked by that thing about 1,000 times without much noticing it after the first sighting. First time I saw it, though, I probably spent a good thirty seconds checking it out.

I could see myself feeling the same way about McQueen's Bullitt car... but it would take a bit longer for me to look the whole thing over. Like, maybe up to five minutes.

I'd be like: "Hey, look at that... sure is beat to shit!" Then I'd take a long look inside...

Okay, done. Bye now! :wave:

Maybe I just feel that way because the car that Richard Petty used to win the Daytona 500 for the 7th time was in the baggage claim area of Daytona International for a very long time, and after checking it out pretty good one time-- a five minute process-- I don't think I ever looked twice at the sucker again.

I mean, it was just there...

I'd probably have spent about the same amount of time eyeballing the car Bonnie and Clyde got their asses shot off in, had somebody brought it around. Maybe longer, if I started counting bullet holes.

So I do get the thing about it being a curio and all... but damn! Somehow, I just don't see the thing as being worth anywhere close to 4 million bucks.

I felt the same way when I heard that the panhead chopper that Dennis Hopper used for Easy Rider sold for $1.35 million... I *got* it, but not really. And as is the case with Bullitt, I did like Easy Rider quite a bit... and when I saw the chopper used in the movie, I spent about five minutes checking it out... but damn: it was just another hardtail panhead chopper, just with a lot of extra chrome and a bit of a history behind it. Nothing to fap over.

But eh: whatever. Maybe I just fail to fully appreciate certain things... :dunno:

--R

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Would you feel the same about Beano or Page's No. 1 were they to drop into your lap? Or are they "just another Burst?" More dramatically, what about a dog-stock white CBS Strat that Hendrix just happened to play at Woodstock?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I'd rather have the fucking watch, honestly.
I'd rather have the other one...

tag-heuer-monaco-caw211a-eb0026-72.jpg

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Would you feel the same about Beano or Page's No. 1 were they to drop into your lap? Or are they "just another Burst?" More dramatically, what about a dog-stock white CBS Strat that Hendrix just happened to play at Woodstock?

I'll honestly never know why you insist on talking to me. :laugh2:

But to answer your question: yeah, I'd feel pretty much all the same about the shit you just mentioned. Might be some sort of curio if some famous person played it or something-- but it's not like I'd be all ga-ga about any of the shit. And if I was incredibly wealthy, I still wouldn't pay millions of dollars for any of the stuff that I've seen sold for such amounts, because I don't see any of it as being truly worth that kind of money.

I'm simply not one of those MLP members who idolizes much of anybody or much of anything-- let alone a guitar. And I pretty much wouldn't actually care who played it all *that* much.

I even snickered (and nastily at that) when I saw some of the sacred, holy grail burst guitars lose 40 or more percent of their value less than a year after being auctioned off for some extraordinary price.

I know that this is heresy to a lot of materialistic types... but again: it's all just stuff to me.

Don't get me wrong: I'd recognize the historic value of such items... but here, even, there are limitations-- just like with the suit Tom Hanks wore in Forrest Gump...

The guitar Hendrix played at Woodstock '69 would be interesting to look at for a moment, but ultimately it's just a Stratocaster to me. The fact that Hendrix played it doesn't really make it all *that* much more interesting than any other Stratocaster would be. It would definitely enhance the curio status of the item, but not my personal attraction to it. I wouldn't actually want to own it, either-- something of that nature doesn't compel any strong sensation within me.

And frankly, I don't see the "historical value" of such items as these guitars you mentioned as being on a par with items of true antiquity.

So, while I'd say that a Shang Dynasty bronze would be a striking artifact that should be preserved and which-- unlike this car Steve McQueen used in a movie-- is more or less priceless, that I'd only look at it for a few minutes if I found one in a museum.

But I would never spend a fortune to own one myself, and wouldn't be impressed upon meeting somebody who did own one simply because he or she owned it.

I'm simply not all that covetous of material items. The flip side to all that is that I'm never jealous of the possessions of others, either. A man living in a mansion with Steve McQueen's car in the garage is just another dude to me.

Matter of fact, even the celebrities themselves were never of incredible interest to me either. I've met quite a few along the way... but never really saw any of them as anything other than human beings who were noteworthy for one reason or another.

And that even includes US presidents. I saw every one from Reagan through Obama up close and personal... but you know: despite the fact that they had the sort of influence that each carried, even they were ultimately just another human being to me. I don't tend to think in such symbolic terms as the average man, that's for sure.

ETA: I noticed that in the case of some celebrities, they seemed relieved to find me treating them politely, but without some sort of stupefied awe. But there were also others who appeared to be miffed that I didn't find them to be all that impressive in person.

So! Consider me to be MLP's resident philistine, if you will. But I'm more worried about how well I play the guitar than I am concerned with what guitar, exactly, I happen to be playing-- or who played it before me.

And I'd rather own the Road King I ride every day than Peter Fonda's gaudy chopper. If you knew me better, you'd have realized that when I said that, it was a rock bottom line kind of thing and you wouldn't even have bothered talking to me about somebody else's meaningless freakin' guitar.

--R :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest Threads