Bullion Gold vs Gold Top

Ziggy Stardust

Reaction score
First of all, is there any difference? I've just noticed that some gold tops has the color "bullion gold" while someone only is described as "gold top". I've try to do some googling, but didn't manage to find any answers.

I've heard that one of them are only gold colored paint, while the other is some sort of bronze material? Is that true? If so, then it must have some effect on the sound?

Does anybody actually know the answer?

I'm asking because I got one offer on a new Deluxe Glold Top ("bullion gold")
and one Standard with p-90's and a regular gold top.

Mikeeeeh

Reaction score
Don't know about what the colours compounds are made of but the bullion has a slightly more darker bronze look to the finish for sure... I actually prefer the bullion look out of the two...

G-Minor

Reaction score
I prefer bullion they do sound better and they age beautifully

bobpopp

Reaction score
hi new here, gold bullion is all gold no lumber exposed albeit the fretboard. no hue differecial between the two.
i have a les paul classic all gold nothing else. 50 out of the factory didn't say classic, that changed when some owners pawned them off as 1960 les pauls!
good luck.

bobpopp

Reaction score
hey g minor...... i have 1 of 5 gary moore's done in black AAAAA top.... yes it is a looker! if it were a pos/prs it would be a 10 top!

thegaindeli

Banned
Reaction score
hi new here, gold bullion is all gold no lumber exposed albeit the fretboard. no hue differecial between the two.
i have a les paul classic all gold nothing else. 50 out of the factory didn't say classic, that changed when some owners pawned them off as 1960 les pauls!
good luck.

I don't believe this is correct. Gibson discovered a small supply of the original metallic gold paint that was used on their earliest Goldtop models...
I believe it was used on the 1999,and 2000 deluxe models only. Maybe some Standards?

EEF13

Reaction score
i presonally think they are both great looking

krmoss

Reaction score
First of all, is there any difference? I've just noticed that some gold tops has the color "bullion gold" while someone only is described as "gold top". I've try to do some googling, but didn't manage to find any answers.

I've heard that one of them are only gold colored paint, while the other is some sort of bronze material? Is that true? If so, then it must have some effect on the sound?

Does anybody actually know the answer?

I'm asking because I got one offer on a new Deluxe Glold Top ("bullion gold")
and one Standard with p-90's and a regular gold top.

Man I'm doing a Gold Top now and after alot of looking around it seems there are many shades on various "Gold Tops". I'm trying to find the right paint myself. They started with "Golden Poly Mist" that was used on the Oldsmobile. If you reference that ppg number it sure looks different than the Gold Tops I'm used to seeing. I have the question as you because of my quest for paint. I wouldn't be surprised if they used krylon on some. Do you know if new ones use nitrocellulose? I mixed some crescent Bronze #255 powder with some nitro and it turned VERY green quick. The flakes are also way too dark. The search goes on. If you know of a place to get decent Gold Top paint, please let me know. Re Ranch won't respond to my desire to give money. Bill must have found something he's more interested in. But he is the guru. Regards, Kurt

GUITARCARR

Reaction score
good luck.

I have a 91 LP Classic Goldtop that is also all gold, just the fretboard is not gold.

The paint on it actually turns green(it wipes off)...like there is copper in the paint.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
Yes there are bronze flakes in the paint on the goldtops that I've seen.

I've also seen the darker more brownish goldtops but they too appear to have the same bronze flakes in them but not as much or it is deeper in the finish?

I dunno, but because of the bronze flakes the guitars will age a green hue in the area where the nitro is thinner or damaged. Either from age or from scratches/dents below the finish.

Latest Threads