Building this Telecaster from some old wood

Gary

Reaction score
There is a military service member, stationed overseas, that is coming home for a visit this summer. He is quite a musician and has mentioned to me that he wants to build a Tele. As soon as I heard he was coming home, I thought about some old wood that I've had laying around for years. Perhaps I could make him a Tele body. One piece is an old wood box that belonged to his grandfather. The other piece of wood is a thick pine plank from a waterbed his mom and I had when we were newlyweds. For decades, the thick plank of pine has been a shelf on my stereo speakers, supporting my component system. It has heard a lot of music. The plank was made before 1982.

The wood box

The plank of pine

My only experience building a guitar is a Tele I built from a ready made Allparts body. A skilled woodworker I am not. So, I reached out to @LtDave32 at Desert Star Guitars.

I told Dave about my idea and he was glad that I asked for his help. We arranged to get together. What a great guy! Dave brought his wonderful wife along and they are the nicest people you could ever meet! I showed them the lumber and brought along a tape measure so we could check it out together. When I pulled the thick plank out of my car, I knocked on it to hear it's wooden resonance ring. Dave's wife said that it has great tone. This lady knows her stuff!

Dave and I have been calling back and forth and he sent me some pictures today. With his permission, I'm posting them here. He said there seems to be a date from the 1880's on the wood box. This guitar body is made from the recipient's family heirlooms and it looks like the box must have belonged to his great-grandfather. Dave thinks he can get two bodies from all the old pine. The 1/2" thick box material will be the top and the 1 1/2" thick pine plank the back.

More to come. :cool:

ziggybumwah

Reaction score
Looks familiar! Love the Box! I'd consider swapping top/bottom and try to show more of the Trojan Powder/ Allentown label

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks familiar! Love the Box! I'd consider swapping top/bottom and try to show more of the Trojan Powder/ Allentown label
Actually I got pretty lucky with using the old finger-joints to halve the ends and bring them around to make up the length and width that I need. I was able to cut the separate pieces well enough for a good join. As it is, the hardware and pups and control plate will not get in the way of the writing.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There is a military service member, stationed overseas, that is coming home for a visit this summer. He is quite a musician and has mentioned to me that he wants to build a Tele. As soon as I heard he was coming home, I thought about some old wood that I've had laying around for years. Perhaps I could make him a Tele body. One piece is an old wood box that belonged to his grandfather. The other piece of wood is a thick pine plank from a waterbed his mom and I had when we were newlyweds. For decades, the thick plank of pine has been a shelf on my stereo speakers, supporting my component system. It has heard a lot of music. The plank was made before 1982.

The wood box

The plank of pine

My only experience building a guitar is a Tele I built from a ready made Allparts body. A skilled woodworker I am not. So, I reached out to @LtDave32 at Desert Star Guitars.

I told Dave about my idea and he was glad that I asked for his help. We arranged to get together. What a great guy! Dave brought his wonderful wife along and they are the nicest people you could ever meet! I showed them the lumber and brought along a tape measure so we could check it out together. When I pulled the thick plank out of my car, I knocked on it to hear it's wooden resonance ring. Dave's wife said that it has great tone. This lady knows her stuff!

Dave and I have been calling back and forth and he sent me some pictures today. With his permission, I'm posting them here. He said there seems to be a date from the 1880's on the wood box. This guitar body is made from the recipient's family heirlooms and it looks like the box must have belonged to his great-grandfather. Dave thinks he can get two bodies from all the old pine. The 1/2" thick box material will be the top and the 1 1/2" thick pine plank the back.

More to come. :cool:

Thank you Gary for the kind words.

And you are about the nicest guy people could meet. I'm happy to take this on. Being former service myself, I consider it an honor.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a cool box, i feel conflicted though, on one hand a guitar is always good, but i'd also like to keep the box as is if it were mine. I have a brass artillery shell from WW1, it was the last shell my great grandfather fired of the war. It's the closest i have to a family heirloom.

Gary

Reaction score
Debating the idea of a pickguard for this project, I bought a cheapie clear pickguard off of Amazon to see if I would like it.

Tested it on my pine Tele I built a few years ago using an Allparts body.

The screw holes are close but, not exactly the same spacing as the Fender American tortoise PG.

Separating the protective film off the front and back was a pain in the assembly process. (PITA) You can see the pine is lighter colored under the old PG.

The cheap guard is pretty thick but the wood grain underneath shows nicely. I like it!

Setting it outside in the desert sun to see if the tan line will blend in the UV.

I think it will nicely compliment the bodies ltDave is building by letting the wood be seen, while also protecting it. What do you think? Nay or nay?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Debating the idea of a pickguard for this project, I bought a cheapie clear pickguard off of Amazon to see if I would like it.

Tested it on my pine Tele I built a few years ago using an Allparts body.

The screw holes are close but, not exactly the same spacing as the Fender American tortoise PG.

Separating the protective film off the front and back was a pain in the assembly process. (PITA) You can see the pine is lighter colored under the old PG.

The cheap guard is pretty thick but the wood grain underneath shows nicely. I like it!

Setting it outside in the desert sun to see if the tan line will blend in the UV.

I think it will nicely compliment the bodies ltDave is building by letting the wood be seen, while also protecting it. What do you think? Nay or nay?
That thing really rocks!
:thumb:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Weren’t some of the original Telecasters and Broadcasters made with pine bodies?

Latest Threads