Building an ESR Meter

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I saw an ESR meter being used on some Uncle Doug videos. I thought that it might be a good project as I have a bunch of old amps and it might be useful to see how healthy my electrolytic caps are. And, even though Anatek sells one that is assembled I decided to go for the kit. But, I’ve never worked on this type of circuit and am unfamiliar with diodes, chips and transistors. Here’s a pic of the board, it seems to be clearly marked and all the parts are separated into different groups such as resistors, capacitors and semiconductors. As you can see, I have started but I have a few questions. Can I assume that the longer wire on the capacitors is the + side?

1A4777FC-B4F5-43E1-8AFD-FEC9EF419B8E.jpeg

And, are these all diodes? If so, is the black line on the small ones (the N4148’s?) the indicator of polarity?

7C511E0D-8F58-40C4-822A-6108B20ED6B1.jpeg

How is the polarity marked on transistors? I get that the big chips hav a notch on both the chip and the socket. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
The instructions said to start with the resistors, that’s easy enough. But soldering these felt like working on a watch or something.

image.jpg

eaglewolf

Reaction score
Here is a quick tutorial on diodes and LED’s, which are also (light-emitting) diodes:

The line indicates the cathode, which is the negative side of the diode.

Here is some info on capacitors by the same company:

Markings on transistors vary with the type, and the following has some guidance:

Note that electronics - particularly transistors and diodes - are heat sensitive. Do not over heat them while soldering or they could be damaged.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the project.

Latest Threads