Building a music room

Wade

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I purchased my first home back in November. It's got a daylight basement (half underground). Anyway, it's half finished and the part that isnt finished is going to be finished into a music room. I'm planning to go as nuts as i can on sound deadening material (knowing that sound proof isnt attainable on my budget). I just want to be able to crank my 50 watt JCM 800 through my 4x12 and not bother my neighbors. As it is right now, the marshall can rattle the drop ceiling and take pictures off the walls in the finished half of the basement.

So, here's my question: Who's done this before? What kind of advice can you give me about sound deadening. I've begun my research, but I will gladly accept any pointers. I'd like to set up my Pro Tools rig in this room and be able to record if I'd like to. I'm not looking to build a pro studio, but if I can jam down there and not bother anyone and make halfway decent recordings without having to load the tracks with TONS of plugins, that would be great.

Also, I just want to let my Marshall be a Marshall.....I'm so sad when I look at that Master Volume below the 1.

The room is rectangular in shape, and the floor is concrete....

Thanks guys...

BMS

Reaction score
I started off with 2x6 framing for my room. Use Safe and Sound insulation. Then I covered with Donnacona Board. Then I used resiliant metal channel for the air gap. Then drywall. The trick with the drywall is to "Not" have any corners touch. Leave about an 1/16 gap and fill with silicone. This reduces added vibration. Also make sure your screws only go through the metal channel and "Not" throught to the Donnacona Board.

My room is half underground like yours and has a ceiling heat vent. You need heat but you don't want to have the sound travel through the ducts. So, I put a manual damper in the duct line just off the manifold. It is located in my hallway and is accessable to open for heat and close for no sound travel.

I have one window which I use some dense foam cut to size that fills the window that is removeable.

One more thing to consider, is a light for the inside of the room so that your wife/kids can let you know that you are needed. I always say to them, when I'm in the room, I'm not to be disrupted. So if they need me, just flash the indicator light and I will be there as soon as I can.

This room is dead silent! Good luck with yours!

Wade

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. I'm not going to have to deal with the window issue as I'll be putting up a wall and blocking off the other half of my room for my shop, where my saws and tools and stuff will go. The HVAC thing totally slipped my mind. I'll definitely need some climate control in there. As of right now, I'm heating the other half of the basement with space heaters and they are doing a great job, but A/C will definitely need to be adressed in the GA summers.

BMS

Reaction score
Yes, I guess in your case climate control of some sort. Heat for us Canadians!

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, I guess in your case climate control of some sort. Heat for us Canadians!
ya you don't want the guitars to get cold :D

that sounds like an awesome set up. very good sound proofing :) for drywall there is apparently a sound dampening kind out now or at least that's what mike holmes said on holmes on homes.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Cool stuff, BMS... We have quite a bit of space in our back woods that I'd like to clear out someday and put a building up... It's one of my dreams since I don't ever want to move. :dude:

Wade

Reaction score
ya you don't want the guitars to get cold :D

that sounds like an awesome set up. very good sound proofing :) for drywall there is apparently a sound dampening kind out now or at least that's what mike holmes said on holmes on homes.
I'm a fan of Holmes. The product you're referring to is called Quietrock, I believe. He put that on the commonwall of two townhomes. I'll be looking into that, but I've read that it's pretty expensive...we'll see when I get there, I've still got a lot of work to do before I need drywall. I'm really looking forward to this. I can't wait to be able to jam in my basement and not bother my neighbors.

As for the climate control issues, I wont leave the guitars down there if the temperature changes too much. As it is right now, only the amp and speaker cab stay in the basement. I don't plan to lug that thing up the narrow staircase unless I have to.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I built my basement in Colorado into an entertainment room and a music room. Some good advice given so far...Remember no can lights and standard, indoor hollow doors won't block ANY sound. I replaced the door to the upstairs with a solid core door. Make sure you put in plenty of power outlets and climate/humidity control will be needed.

BMS

Reaction score
I built my basement in Colorado into an entertainment room and a music room. Some good advice given so far...Remember no can lights and standard, indoor hollow doors won't block ANY sound. I replaced the door to the upstairs with a solid core door. Make sure you put in plenty of power outlets and climate/humidity control will be needed.
Good point on the door. I forgot to mention that. I don't have a solid door on my room. What I used instead is two indoor doors. One opens into the room and one opens into the hallway. This again creates a sound gap and is effective. But not as effective as the solid door.

Latest Threads