Building a Fake Chibson

wazupwazid

Reaction score
So, at this time, I'm not saying that I WILL do it. I'm only saying that I want to do it.

I want to build a fake Chibson.

For it to qualify as a fake I guess it would have to be built anywhere else, other than in China. In my case it would have to be made in the USA, which is kind of ironic that making a fake of a Chinese fake of an American product would end up being made in the US.

I also want this build to be a challenge. I would like it to end up being better than an actual off the shelf Gibson. So, a fake Chibson, made in USA, better quality than a Gibson. Hm... :hmm: My mind is spinning. The past that says MADE IN USA on the back of an authentic Chibson is faked by it actually having been made in the USA. Wow, this is hard to put into words.

Since I haven't finished my current build (although it's approaching completion) I don't want to cut a single board, yet. But any good project starts with the planning, anyway.

So, I'm starting with the headstock logo design.

It can't say Gibson on the headstock, because that would make it a fake Gibson. So, it actually has to say Chibson.

I have two proposals. I'd like to hear which one you guys thing is better.

Chibson logo proposal #1:

chibson-logo-01.jpg

And Chibson logo proposal #1:

chibson-logo-02.jpg

So, which is better?

And, by all means, tell me what you think of the project.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I don't even get the point of this exercise. If I set out to build a guitar that was a copy I'd try to copy the original and do it to my best ability and totally bypass other copies.

I've handled a few chibsons and they honestly weren't as bad as "student" guitars that were par for the course before the 80s came around, but I would never go so far as to say any chibson I ever touched was a good guitar by even the most permissive standards. Oh, I'd pull one out of a dumpster, but only because there's always somebody who'll give 250 bucks for it who clearly has no clue what a good guitar is, or who never has the money for one because he blows his cash on cheap garbage knockoffs.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Chibson is a fake Gibson. So you are saying you want to build a fake fake.

A fake fake would have to be real, so the only way to build a fake chibson would be to get a job at Gibson, build a real Gibson, and inlay the name "Chibson" on the headstock.

Good luck with that :)

Mockbel

Reaction score
2 years old thread is back to live... why?

Reactions: Who

paulmarr

Reaction score
The thread is controversial enough to demand a response and ridiculous enough to get a rise out of folks ... even years later :)

pshupe

Reaction score
The thread is controversial enough to demand a response and ridiculous enough to get a rise out of folks ... even years later :)

wasupwazid - should be banned for a while just to give a slap on the wrist as this is clearly a troll move, yes??

It has been a little quiet in here lately. The OP was a silly post in the first place. I'm not sure if the mods can just take these down at their own discretion but I would suggest this one should be removed. Hey did anyone check out the update to the Firebird "ish" build thread?? :rock::hyper::hyper:

wazupwazid

Reaction score
wasupwazid - should be banned for a while just to give a slap on the wrist as this is clearly a troll move, yes??

It has been a little quiet in here lately. The OP was a silly post in the first place. I'm not sure if the mods can just take these down at their own discretion but I would suggest this one should be removed. Hey did anyone check out the update to the Firebird "ish" build thread?? :rock::hyper::hyper:

Please tell me you are Drinking Gibson Kool Aid : )

wazupwazid

Reaction score
I don't even get the point of this exercise. If I set out to build a guitar that was a copy I'd try to copy the original and do it to my best ability and totally bypass other copies.

I've handled a few chibsons and they honestly weren't as bad as "student" guitars that were par for the course before the 80s came around, but I would never go so far as to say any chibson I ever touched was a good guitar by even the most permissive standards. Oh, I'd pull one out of a dumpster, but only because there's always somebody who'll give 250 bucks for it who clearly has no clue what a good guitar is, or who never has the money for one because he blows his cash on cheap garbage knockoffs.

I dont even get people like you Damn dude what they hell do you care what others do with there money !! I own many Gibsons guitars, Fenders, Jackson's , Gretesh's , Washburns, Ibanez's, Martins, PRS etc.... so for one to come on here and bash people for something they have tried or done , You have some real issues and you really should get your head checked out dude.

wazupwazid

Reaction score
A Chibson is a fake Gibson. So you are saying you want to build a fake fake.

A fake fake would have to be real, so the only way to build a fake chibson would be to get a job at Gibson, build a real Gibson, and inlay the name "Chibson" on the headstock.

Good luck with that :)

So tell me what you think of the Kris Derig guitar that Slash used ? If I buy or have that Gibson version of that guitar what do you plan to call that ??? Is that a real Fake of a Fake ? LOL LOL

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So tell me what you think of the Kris Derig guitar that Slash used ? If I buy or have that Gibson version of that guitar what do you plan to call that ??? Is that a real Fake of a Fake ? LOL LOL

I'm just riffing on the circular logic of the term "fake chibson". Wasnt a judgement on whether someone should build or not build any particular thing

ARandall

Reaction score
One of the things about this part of the forum is that regulars to this section have a lot of experience in the finer point of discerning the difference between fake and replica. This is clearly not true of newbies.
When such people come in look for deliberate reasons to stir up such a pot it gets tiresome........surely even you must have better things to do with your time.

jkes01

Reaction score

I agree with pshupe, this thread should be closed. It didn’t go well for the original poster and it’s heading straight that way now.

I dont even get people like you Damn dude what they hell do you care what others do with there money !! I own many Gibsons guitars, Fenders, Jackson's , Gretesh's , Washburns, Ibanez's, Martins, PRS etc.... so for one to come on here and bash people for something they have tried or done , You have some real issues and you really should get your head checked out dude.

You clearly posted to this thread with intention, but have changed your post after reading back through the thread? :hmm:

Last edited:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Derrig wasn't trying to copy a trash copy of a great guitar. He was making his own rendition of a great guitar. Big difference. I'll call trash trash because I'm honest about such things. Nobody would hire me as an ambassador. I am truthful and speak my mind in a very direct manner. I consider that to be a very positive attribute and wish more people had it.

A Gibson may be worthy of copying. Copying a Chibson or other Chinese knockoff is simply laughable. Don't expect to get street cred among luthiers for doing some thing as dumb as that.

wazupwazid

Reaction score
Derrig wasn't trying to copy a trash copy of a great guitar. He was making his own rendition of a great guitar. Big difference. I'll call trash trash because I'm honest about such things. Nobody would hire me as an ambassador. I am truthful and speak my mind in a very direct manner. I consider that to be a very positive attribute and wish more people had it.

A Gibson may be worthy of copying. Copying a Chibson or other Chinese knockoff is simply laughable. Don't expect to get street cred among luthiers for doing some thing as dumb as that.

You are 100% correct you answered your own question LOL LOL You are right to say no one would hire you cause you would and are pure shit like what comes out of your mouth. You sit there all high on your self, I bet you lie so much you believe your self.

Also want to point out to you and your posers on this site. Tell me, if in my post clearly asked for any acceptance for what I have done ??? I read my post and I dont see anything in context to that. I just stated what I have done and had fun doing it. So you want to come on here and rag someone or myself for that , Dude you really have problems and I feel bad for the people that are around you ..... Oh ya they are all poser like your self ,sheep really.

So again why dont you and your poser friends ban me from the site , and again this aint no Troll move.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You are 100% correct you answered your own question LOL LOL You are right to say no one would hire you cause you would and are pure shit like what comes out of your mouth. You sit there all high on your self, I bet you lie so much you believe your self.

Also want to point out to you and your posers on this site. Tell me, if in my post clearly asked for any acceptance for what I have done ??? I read my post and I dont see anything in context to that. I just stated what I have done and had fun doing it. So you want to come on here and rag someone or myself for that , Dude you really have problems and I feel bad for the people that are around you ..... Oh ya they are all poser like your self ,sheep really.

So again why dont you and your poser friends ban me from the site , and again this aint no Troll move.

*Mod Note*

Request accepted.

Bye.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
The really weird thing is that we just watched an account go down in flames but it wasn't even the guy who originally was talking about making a fake chibson. Weird.

Latest Threads