Building a Fake Chibson

Adinol

Reaction score
So, at this time, I'm not saying that I WILL do it. I'm only saying that I want to do it.

I want to build a fake Chibson.

For it to qualify as a fake I guess it would have to be built anywhere else, other than in China. In my case it would have to be made in the USA, which is kind of ironic that making a fake of a Chinese fake of an American product would end up being made in the US.

I also want this build to be a challenge. I would like it to end up being better than an actual off the shelf Gibson. So, a fake Chibson, made in USA, better quality than a Gibson. Hm... :hmm: My mind is spinning. The past that says MADE IN USA on the back of an authentic Chibson is faked by it actually having been made in the USA. Wow, this is hard to put into words.

Since I haven't finished my current build (although it's approaching completion) I don't want to cut a single board, yet. But any good project starts with the planning, anyway.

So, I'm starting with the headstock logo design.

It can't say Gibson on the headstock, because that would make it a fake Gibson. So, it actually has to say Chibson.

I have two proposals. I'd like to hear which one you guys thing is better.

Chibson logo proposal #1:

chibson-logo-01.jpg

And Chibson logo proposal #1:

chibson-logo-02.jpg

So, which is better?

And, by all means, tell me what you think of the project.

Adinol

Reaction score
Oh, I guess I'm reinventing the wheel.

Thanks for letting me know. Something to reconsider, now...

SiriusAbbott

Reaction score
perhaps i'm hallucinating :hmm:
been searching since posting and haven't found anything,except...
siriusabbott-albums-other-side-picture75511-logo-chibson.jpg

Adinol

Reaction score
Well, obviously someone already had the idea to make a Chibson logo, so it's possible someone already build a fake Chibson guitar, too.

Perhaps I can come up with something else that hasn't been done, yet.

How about this...?

A headstock conversion... from a Gibson to an Epiphone.

Has that been done, yet?

SiriusAbbott

Reaction score
Well, obviously someone already had the idea to make a Chibson logo, so it's possible someone already build a fake Chibson guitar, too.

Perhaps I can come up with something else that hasn't been done, yet.

How about this...?

A headstock conversion... from a Gibson to an Epiphone.

Has that been done, yet?
hmmm,dont know.....I spent some more time searching for a chibson logo'ed headstock....found nothing,so your idea may still be do-able

as for my builds....only my name goes on the headstocks now :naughty:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
This whole "Chibson" thing got me thinking.

Any "fake/replica" should have it's CoO incorporated into it's logo:

China = Chibson

Canada = Canibson

America = Amibson

etc...

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I am going to just buy one. They are better than the 2015s I hear.

Baylin

Reaction score
So to make a fake chibson...

Would that mean finding really, really poor quality wood and then getting all the details just a little bit further out from the original.

As for build quality better than an original just assemble it using remote rods from the far end of the shop using no nails glue...

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One could also thorize that a fake chibson could be composed of high quality materials and built with great care and precision.

I would think one wouldnt want to spend a lot of time, effort, and care building a quality instrument only to make it into a bad joke :)

Of course I also wouldn't think one would do that and then put another companies logo, Gibson for instance, on the headstock, but people seem to do that a lot.

Build a nice Les Paul for yourself and put "Adinol" on it :)

jkes01

Reaction score
You are building it, why in the world would you ever associate it with a Chinese fake? :wow:

Put your name on it.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
My friend of many year bought a fake from China. He did not say any thing about it. I picked it up to play it. I did not know a thing about it, it was the best looking Les Paul I ever saw. The thing sounded great and was so balanced. The volume knobs were so sensitive and the set up perfect. The only thing missing from the head stock was Gibson, he had it blank. The guitar was $260.00 and he got a free case. This is a very nice guitar and not there to fool any one. John is a very honest man, that is way we have been friends for 50 years. My 335 copy from China is as just as much a fake. Not to fool people, mine has Jay Turser on the head stock.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend of many year bought a fake from China. He did not say any thing about it. I picked it up to play it. I did not know a thing about it, it was the best looking Les Paul I ever saw. The thing sounded great and was so balanced. The volume knobs were so sensitive and the set up perfect. The only thing missing from the head stock was Gibson, he had it blank. The guitar was $260.00 and he got a free case. This is a very nice guitar and not there to fool any one. John is a very honest man, that is way we have been friends for 50 years. My 335 copy from China is as just as much a fake. Not to fool people, mine has Jay Turser on the head stock.

If it doesnt say Gibson then its not a fake Gibson. Its just a copy

Latest Threads