Building a double neck.

Blazer

Reaction score
Well you guys it has been a while since I posted but things have been crazy with both my job and with my band. But I have some exciting news.

A few months ago I started working on a double neck guitar using this template I made by tracing my stratocaster.

But before I can subject any serious wood to this (I bought some really beautiful Mahogany to use someday) I figured that I should try out the templates and make a prototype so I can tweak the design where needed. So I bought a sandwich pine table top that was big enough for me to rout a body from and used that one as a try out.

Right away I discovered a flaw in the position of the neck pockets, the necks are too close together, so I have to angle them a bit away from each other.

Flip the body over and you'll find what I'm planning for controls each half will get their own pots and switches. The switch for switching necks will be at the bottom end of the upper half control cavity of the guitar, neatly out of the way when you don't need it and readily available when you do.

Anyway, I just got the body back from the guy who was painting it for me.

I asked for a vintage Fender cream color, like the strats that Yngwie Malmsteen plays, I got my wish.

Now all I need to do is assemble it.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very nice. I'd love to have a double neck, but a double neck tele is a little too much, and I'm not a strat fan.

Warmoth doesn't have anything resembling an SG double neck, so I'm out of luck!

Jessenoah

Reaction score
is one neck a regular neck and one neck a baritone neck?

LedZepRulz

Banned
Reaction score
Must be nice to have woodworking skills. I remember in high school, we used to kinda look down on the kids who took shop, cause we figured they didnt have the iq or the $ to go to college. Looks like they got the last laugh though, cause now they can fix their own cars, and build their own decks(or guitars), and I can't do shit. While they were learning a useful trade, I was learning latin:(

Blazer

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dyvHflcDnI[/ame]

Just noodling away. There's some bum notes but sitting down with such a wide instrument doesn't exactly make it easy to play.

Iceman0124

Reaction score
Awesome work!....I need to move to a place with a decent workspace, so much can be done inexpensively with just some time and a decent place to work.

frama78

Reaction score
absolutly awsome!
actually, i´m about to to something VERY similar. i have a 3/4-scale neck too and want to use it as a kind of a mandolin. how is your upper guitar tuned? same as a standard guitar? higher? or double 3-string-like?

frank

Latest Threads