Builders Beware: Avoid Best Euro Spruce

peach64

Reaction score
Hello,

I regret that I have to post this warning about a luthier supplier, but unfortunately I have no choice. After waiting months for 2 sets of templates; `58 Les Paul & `58 Flying V, my patience has finally worn out with " Dr. Martin Guhl " of Home - best EuroSpruce: MoonSpruce + other Tonewoods

I have reached out to him on a few occasions, first time he was sick, then a few weeks ago, his girlfried responded and said his brother died, and that there was a parcel with my name on it for shipping.

I emailed a few days ago, and received no reply. Paypal was kind enough to send him an email to regarding payment that was sent in April. No answer to that either. So I guess I have to hit every luthier site now?

Since researching his name, I find I'm not the only one he has gotten over on.

Hope this helps.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cat must have eaten it this time.

I hate it when people do **** like that. They present themselves as professionals and then
offer the most ridiculous excuses imaginable.

Professionals dont make excuses. they deliver. If something goes wrong they make it right.

edited to add: Looking at that site and reading about his "Les Paulo", it seems that guy might have been posting here about his LP top
design not long ago. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

alexjump

Reaction score
I have a bad experience with this seller, too.
In May, I bought Celluloid fretboard binding set from him, and I must say that I am very disappointed with the shipped products.The Celluloid fretboard binding set is way too narrow (only 5.7 mm at the widest point) to produce the vintage correct fretboard nips.
It should be at least 6.5 - 7 mm. It is totaly useless.
He replied: "We are very sorry for this issue and Will send out this Each of you replacements of suffcient dimension, you have nothing to it (no returns)."
That wason on June 6, and until today I haven´t received nothing.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Yes I had that silly binding at some point along time ago and didn't bother to go back
I won't order again either

atj

Reaction score
I´ve had this happen 2 times already. Last time, a few years ago, I ordered fingerboards from him and got nothing. It´s the last time I´ll ever buy something from him. After tracking down another email from him about a year later and asking about something else to see if there was any response I finally got him. True or not, he said his dad had been terminally ill and had died and that was the reason he had been unavailable for all that time. I won´t ever order anything again from him even though he did refund me eventually.

peach64

Reaction score
I´ve had this happen 2 times already. Last time, a few years ago, I ordered fingerboards from him and got nothing. It´s the last time I´ll ever buy something from him. After tracking down another email from him about a year later and asking about something else to see if there was any response I finally got him. True or not, he said his dad had been terminally ill and had died and that was the reason he had been unavailable for all that time. I won´t ever order anything again from him even though he did refund me eventually.

Anton...he had his "girlfriend" email me from his own account to tell me his brother died a few weeks ago at 44.

Some people sink low, others sink really low, that is absolutely terrible. He is only making things worse for himself. Martin you have my pity, and I have a new alias..DEANMARTINGUHL

b_rogers

Reaction score
I like how peoples family dying devastates them so completely it affects the ability to take it to the PO and ship it, which might take 20 mins tops. .

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how peoples family dying devastates them so completely it affects the ability to take it to the PO and ship it, which might take 20 mins tops. .

I lost 3 grandparents, 2 parents, and 2 step-parents all in the space of 2 years.
It was a rough period.

I still managed to fulfill all my obligations I had to people, customers, employer, etc.

Family members dying is not a valid excuse to blow people off even if it really happened.

In the case of this guy it its likely he is just full of ****.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
I lost 3 grandparents, 2 parents, and 2 step-parents all in the space of 2 years.
It was a rough period.

I still managed to fulfill all my obligations I had to people, customers, employer, etc.

Family members dying is not a valid excuse to blow people off even if it really happened.

In the case of this guy it its likely he is just full of ****.

Truth right there.
Professionals dont make excuses they make results, no one is perfect and mistakes happen. But the measure of your worth is not if you make mistakes but how you recover and learn from your mistakes. And as cold as it may sound the world of buisness doesn't care if a loved one passed, the world still turns with or without you.

Brewdude

Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this thread and say thanks for starting it...

I was all set to order some things from there but did my cautionary search on here for the name and found many references to not great business deals so I decided to scrap that idea. Its a shame as he's got some cool stuff, but doesn't sound like he's easy to deal with :hmm:

Latest Threads