Build Your Own Les Paul

redcoats1976

Reaction score
junior,tribute goldtop,studio deluxe as you have mentioned,standard,and 70s era norlin custom.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
Production (all solid wood, so eliminating the Traditional, as the Standard is built in the same way)

1. Les Paul Standard (mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, maple top, mahogany body, HB)
2. Les Paul Classic (mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, maple top, mahogany body, p90)
3. Les Paul Deluxe (3 piece maple neck, rosewood fretboard, maple top, mahogany body, minihumbucker)
4. Les Paul Junior (mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, mahogany body, p90)
5. Les Paul Custom (mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, maple top, mahogany body, HB)

Les Paul Custom Shop Models (no futzing around, make them like they made them in the year specified, or don't call it by that year...)

1. Les Paul Custom '54 MTM neck profile
2. Les Paul Standard '59 MTM neck profile
3. Les Paul Standard '52 MTM neck profile

Non-Les Paul (not going into detail here, as that was not the point of the OP)

1. Flying V
2. Explorer
3. SG
4. Thunderbird
5. Firebird

kherman

Reaction score
This is a great idea for a thread, Kenny.

What if one could have all their favorite appointments, materials, neck shape, etc etc etc in one LP? What would that look like?

BYO LP.
Like a Kiesel/Carvin!

Honestly, I'd like to see more companies adopt a "direct to consumer" approach. People laughed at Carvin/Kiesel for it. But, in todays environment, where people want to pick, choose, buy online and have it delivered direct to their door, Carvin's been ahead of the game all along. The way Gibson has alienated the musicshops, maybe cutting out the middle man and selling at direct prices might not be a bad idea.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Plain one piece top, one piece back, neck like my 2015 Martin D-15, clear nitro finish, contoured heel and cutaway, undyed ebony board with side markers, no inlays, no binding, 2.594" scale, clear sounding low output pickups w/coil split.

Chances are I'm going to have to contact LtDave to get it.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Gibson are victims of their own success. They promoted the idea of THE LES PAUL ABOVE ALL OTHERS!!!

so now it's like no one cares about anything else they do, they just want Les Pauls.

I mean even SG's (which are great guitars) are looked at as 'lesser',..because it's not a Les Paul. Everything Gibson makes other than a Les Paul, is viewed at as 'less than'. And it's 100% Gibsons fault for promoting that idea.

There are just as many famous people playing SG's. Off the top of my head? That Allman Bros guy, Tony Iommi, Angus Young, Pepper Keenan, ...I'm sure there's a bunch more I'm not aware of. They don't get promoted. They should've put an SG in Phil X's hand and got him onboard, he was playing that ESP-SG rip off for years. Same with the guitarist for Soundgarden who always uses a Guild-SG rip off.

For 30 years Gibson has trotted out Slash, Zakk Wylde, Jimmy Page and Les Pauls as their flagship models and endorsers.

Now to a ton of people Gibson means, "Les Pauls" and not "Great Guitars."

The other companies don't seem to have that issue because they didn't just promote one single guitar.
Preach it brother. Back in the day if you weren't playing a Grestch you were playing an SG or Strat. And if you were a monster player a 335. Les Pauls for a while were the other white meat, though that changed half way through the 70's but were still relatively sparse. The SG Standard was the best selling guitar for Gibson for years. A freaking monster success, and that's not counting the Customs, Special and Juniors. The SG screamed rock and roll, and few other guitars had more bling than a 3 pickup white SG Custom with gold hardware.

And then the Les Paul hit big.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
my Les Paul would have :

. a headstock similar to an EBMM
. a zero fret
. zero radius ebony fretboard with extra jumbo SS frets
. soft V profile neck
. no fret markers ( only on sides )
. no binding anywhere
. a plain maple cap on mahogany with a brass block buried underneath the bridge ( was it Yamaha that did this years ago ? )
. root beer burst
. 1 TV Jones T Armond pickup in the neck position
. 1 volume knob

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
Preach it brother. Back in the day if you weren't playing a Grestch you were playing an SG or Strat. And if you were a monster player a 335. Les Pauls for a while were the other white meat, though that changed half way through the 70's but were still relatively sparse. The SG Standard was the best selling guitar for Gibson for years. A freaking monster success, and that's not counting the Customs, Special and Juniors. The SG screamed rock and roll, and few other guitars had more bling than a 3 pickup white SG Custom with gold hardware.

And then the Les Paul hit big.
Yeah!!! Glen Buxton & Michael Bruce :applause:

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
I'd like to see:

- Bolt on neck. (Easier to swap out broken headstocks like Fender does.)
- Modern neck tenon for upper fret access. (Aimed towards metal heads and heavier genres of music.)
- EMG pickups aimed towards modern metal.
- Floyd Rose. (Once again, aimed towards modern players.)
- Basic finishes to cut manufacturing costs down.

Make a metal line for the SG and the LP for modern styles. Aim for the $1,000 price range.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I can see it now. It'll be just like Build A Bear, where we can go to the mall and make Franken-LPs to our heart's content.

I agree that made-to-measure will play an important role for Gibby in the future. It has to be something they can deliver on, quickly.

A MTM guitar is: a higher margin product, you know in advance exactly what the customer wants and ... it is sold before they even build it (assemble that is, I would expect that they would have a warehouse full of necks and bodies ready to roll). IN other words a MTM guitar is a home run.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
MTM Gibsons could be a game changer, but its success among the forums (where a LOT of pre-buying research is done) will probably depend on being ordered by people familiar with the standard neck shapes. “I knew the neck would be thick, but I didn’t expect it to be THAT thick! Now I’m stuck with a guitar I can barely play!”
I hope they keep the asym neck shape around. It’s insanely good for me.
But I don’t plan on buying anymore guitars anyway, so they can do whatever they want, really.
If I were in charge, I’d chamber everything but not tell anyone. Haha.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
My recommendation would be a true Standard with color choices like ebony and tobacco burst.

Bring back neck profile choices for the customers. I like a '50s profile neck, other people like a '60s profile. One size doesn't fit all!

And have Seymour Duncan design the pickups.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Why dots on Studio? They look better with Traps.

Dots for Jrs, Specials, and MMakers,
... Dots for flat-tops, and Traps for carved tops. :thumb:
I don't think Studios should have any visual flair. Dot inlays are functional, trap inlays are function plus aesthetic. And I would also only manufacture Studios with a matte clear coat finish, no colors, stains or gloss.

If you want something that looks pretty you've gotta upgrade to the Standard model.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
You mean like this?

Studios have become a thing of their own.

The first thing Gibson would have to do is straighten out what each model name means. What's a Standard? Are Trads really Standards? What's a Classic? They really make it hard to order if you don't know what the main features of a model are.