Build Thread - Travel Guitar

DaveR

Reaction score
Hah! Absolutely nothing. The curse of the creative soul...I hit one roadblock and get lost in other projects. The roadblock this time is oppressive heat that has kept me out of the shop. I have been keeping the guitar next to my desk and I noodle on it when I have breaks throughout my workday. Still has the clear plastic film over the cover plates
E7AA1732-D4CF-4CF4-8772-C922F456128E.jpeg

FCEFEE26-F7DA-4DDB-87DB-32D3031BB1CA.jpeg

I have been thinking about how to finish this though. I think any thick gloss would be asking to get chipped by the removable neck...so I’ll probably go with some kind of thin wipe on oil finish. Maybe tru oil? Never tried it. Not sure I want to. I’m open to suggestions.

Might do a dark grain fill in the back. Definitely going to do some kind of dark dye on the maple cap. Start with black, sanded back to pop the figure. Then some color. Definitely want to keep the maple around the beveled areas clear as a faux binding of sorts. Never tried that, not sure if it will work with hand rubbed color, but I’m not setup for spraying.

Was originally going to do trans black on the front, but my next guitar is for sure going to be trans black, so I’m thinking about a dark color on this one. Green or purple maybe.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i'm glad you posted that about the curse of the creative mind. I have even said that to others. When I worked for a custom furniture builder, I didn't have that problem. I was given a project to build and did the tasks at hand and it wasn't an issue. I'm in my shop however, and it's....hmmm, I wonder what that would look like.....oh, i've always wanted to build one of those......gee, what would this look like glued to that and then a little clear coat.....and then theres...............

DaveR

Reaction score
I have waaay too many hobbies and they tend to be seasonal. Guitars in the spring and fall. Furniture in the winter. Homeowner struggles year round. And last summer, I beat the heat by making Halloween costumes for my whole family out of foam floor mats from Harbor Freight. Seriously. Would have done it again this year except I’m pretty sure Halloween is cancelled...

50B1349A-148D-41DE-941D-169129E73D1A.jpeg
20170D30-1313-425A-A96B-09177AC27976.jpeg

Latest Threads