Build advice tweed clone 5F2a

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
From what I can see, the 5F2a is what I want to build. Basically it appears that 5F2a is the 5F1 with a tone knob and noise reduction circuit. As much as I would like more bells and whistles, I also need to keep this simple as it is a first time build.

To add some misery to my plan, I really do not want to buy the chassis kit since the chassis that comes in the kit would be for the cabinet/combo. I like the looks of the open head with the tube up on the top.. This either has me building or buying head type chassis (that I have not found yet).

I have looked at a few of the kits out there and Mojotone is where I keep coming back to. It looks like pretty much a complete kit, WITHOUT cabinet and speaker will set me back $300.00. If I get a kit without the chassis and build my own for the head, depending on the manufacturer/distributer it will still run me $225-250.00 for the parts. Does this sound right or have I yet to find the less expensive without getting from China kit?

Thanks!

jmc6336

Reaction score
From what I can see, the 5F2a is what I want to build. Basically it appears that 5F2a is the 5E3 with a tone knob and noise reduction circuit. As much as I would like more bells and whistles, I also need to keep this simple as it is a first time build.

To add some misery to my plan, I really do not want to buy the chassis kit since the chassis that comes in the kit would be for the cabinet/combo. I like the looks of the open head with the tube up on the top.. This either has me building or buying head type chassis (that I have not found yet).

I have looked at a few of the kits out there and Mojotone is where I keep coming back to. It looks like pretty much a complete kit, WITHOUT cabinet and speaker will set me back $300.00. If I get a kit without the chassis and build my own for the head, depending on the manufacturer/distributer it will still run me $225-250.00 for the parts. Does this sound right or have I yet to find the less expensive without getting from China kit?

Thanks!
I can vouch for Mojotone, just finished one of their 5E3 kits. Great quality stuff, easy to read layout, sounds like a dream.

Since your going without a cabinet, it should ship quickly too. I had to wait a week for them to get the cabinet together.

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
5f2a is the 5f1 with a tone knob. 5e3 is totally different. Still tweed fender, but that's where it ends.
I have been digging back and forth with this stuff and got numbers mixed. Thank you! Yes you are correct.. 5F1 = Champ, 5f2 = Champ w/tone (what I want).. 5e3 is the deluxe and is not in the budget at this time.. I have edited/corrected my opening post.

InsertUsernameHere

Reaction score
Honestly, I never liked the idea of kits. To get a low price, quality has to be sacrificed somewhere. I built a modded 5E3P sourcing my own parts, and found the price is about on par with a mid-level kit, BUT my amp has top shelf caps, tubes, sockets, pots, switches, jacks, etc. In the end the only mid quality part is the PT (Weber), because they were the only one who carried the correct voltage (which isn't even correct, putting out an extra 20v).

Another thing is, you say you want to keep it simple, but a 5F2A may actually bore the hell out of you and leave you wanting to build more (not a bad thing :laugh2:). I would bet most mods would still be in your reach, and in all actuality I would bet you could do a 5E3 no problem, because Fender Tweeds are stupidly simple circuits.

That's just my thoughts on the matter anyways.

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
Simple also has some budget restraints.. Originally, I was going to get an Egnator Tweaker head (always wanted one). But I always wanted to build my own low watt twead head too. I can justify 300 initial parts cost but the base 5E3 chassis, tubes, and small parts will put me just below 500. That's a bit more of a pill to take for this.
I get what your saying too.. that's part of my dilemma.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I built my 5f2-a into a 2x10" combo and it's my main amp, oddly. I used a choke instead of a dropping resistor, and used Allen choke and OT, andI used a weber PT.
I just used the old schematics and made a parts list. Make sure you use a 5w cathode bias resistor on the 6v6!!!
Hang on.....

Here.... Maybe this will help.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/255202-its-alive-5f2a-ish-content.html

If you want to build a head, just buy a deeper chassis and drill your own holes, if you can. All the stuff that would go on the side opposite the pots could just go on the big flat side, like a normal head. Kinda hard to describe, since the orientation changes, but I think you probably get it.

DavidRamey

Reaction score
I built myself a 5F1 Tweed Champ a couple of months ago. My next amp will be a 6G10 Tweed Harvard (5F2A with 10" speaker). I did not use a kit, but sourced all the parts myself. In the end, I paid just a little more than the kits, but I have an amp with the best parts instead of good parts.

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
I built my 5f2-a into a 2x10" combo and it's my main amp, oddly. I used a choke instead of a dropping resistor, and used Allen choke and OT, andI used a weber PT.
I just used the old schematics and made a parts list. Make sure you use a 5w cathode bias resistor on the 6v6!!!
Hang on.....

Here.... Maybe this will help.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/255202-its-alive-5f2a-ish-content.html

If you want to build a head, just buy a deeper chassis and drill your own holes, if you can. All the stuff that would go on the side opposite the pots could just go on the big flat side, like a normal head. Kinda hard to describe, since the orientation changes, but I think you probably get it.
Moonshine, your part of my problem... LOL!
What are the better than good parts?
What does the choke do?

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
the choke vs resistor will keep a little more noise down. it costs more, but it's not like you're building a million of these, right?? build one and build it well. i used sozo filter caps and mallory 150's everywhere else, for the most part. i went with carbon film resistors, which is a choice, not a better/worse thing. the old carbon comps are said to be noisier, but what the hell do i know?
DO NOT skimp on your OT!!! mine sounds wide open, with sparkling cleans and great definition, even when it's cranked and filthy.
DO NOT skimp on your OT!!!
DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR OT!!!!!!

Allen Amplification - Parts Order Page

i think i used the TO11 and the TC

i'm sure there are better, but i think you start to hit diminishing returns after allen's stuff. it's custom made heyboer stuff; next brand up is probably mercury magnetics, which are out of this world amazing and priced accordingly. ;)
for my needs, allen knocked this out of the park.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
i used wgs veteran 10" speakers and this tweed circuit just loves them. the 5f2a totally slaps them around when you crank it up. the sound of a tweed amp crying for its life is something to be experienced. with humbuckers, you'd swear there was a Ge fuzz face going on.

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
Ok, so did you get it all from Allen Amplification then? That is my worry, that I buy a couple of parts here and a couple there... In the end it doesnt work, and I am in a few hundred bucks without really knowing I bought the right parts to begin troubleshooting with.

And isnt the dif between the 5F2 and 5F2a the choke??

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
i got most of the stuff from tube depot, like tubes, sockets, caps, resistors, pots, light, fuse and stuff like that. i bought the PT, chassis and eyelet card from weber, iirc. i think i bought the grill cloth from mojotone. i bought the choke and OT from allen.
just go by the schematic. ohm's law hasn't changed a bit, even if the wall voltages are a few volts higher. as long as the component values are the same, you will be fine. just remember to sub in a 5W resistor under that 6v6!! read my linked thread for proof of that!! it was funny... someone told me id have a few hours on that resistor, and after one night, i opened it up and lo and behold, that thing was black and blistering!! 5W!!
personally, i would rather order all the parts myself, individually. it feels less like a kit, and something a little more personalized. tone caps can make a difference. i read a stoopid amount of material on that stuff. :)
if you want to build it into a head, look into buying a chassis blank from somewhere with the dimensions of the head you want. it doesn't hurt to have extra room, especially in that thing. ;)

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
I have seen your thread and the resistor you let the factory smoke out of.. Nice! Good stuff. Bad thing for me, technical reading gets to be like a dart in the neck in little to know time. I am good hands on with it (a gift and a curse) :laugh2: I Really wanted a decent packaged kit... But in reallity, I would get done with it and second guess the what ifs with the better quality stuff.. Thanks for your input, I may PM you if you dont mind.. :fingersx:

DavidRamey

Reaction score
I bought my PT and OT from Amp Parts Direct. I bought the Chassis, tubes, tube sockets and most hardware from Tube Depot. I used Mallory 150 coupling caps and the rest of the caps were Sprague. I bought the Jensen C8R speaker and the cabinet hardware from Antique Electronic Supply. I bought the cabinet with the tweed and grill cloth installed from John Mergili in Spokane, WA.

I was lucky. My amp worked the first time I used it and has been trouble free. My wife came back to the music room and said that she thought my "new" amp sounded better than any other amp I had.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a different chassis, try Watts Tube Audio, they have really nice chassis in all sizes and styles.

I have used them for several projects (all heads, no combos). Very heavy duty aluminum and very sturdy. I think you would want one of their "Project Boxes" - either inward lip or outward lip - your choice. I'd even suggest getting the fitted "shield plate" (bottom lid), it is about $7 for that, but really helps to finish off the build (and provides some extra shielding).

They also have kits, but you wouldn't want the included chassis (chrome combo style chassis). You could also source most of your parts directly from them. They have layout diagrams and circuit diagrams on their site as well.

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
Thanks! Actually I found Antique Electronic Supply and ordered a box with lid/cover. Its powder coated steel 12x8x2 and should work hopefully pretty damn slick! Tube Depot is where pretty much everything else came from so hopefully by next weekend I can settle into some fun.. The OT, PT, and the Choke are from Tube Depot as well. Figured if the small parts are good enough quality, the transformers should be good as well.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
If you want a different chassis, try Watts Tube Audio, they have really nice chassis in all sizes and styles.

I have used them for several projects (all heads, no combos). Very heavy duty aluminum and very sturdy. I think you would want one of their "Project Boxes" - either inward lip or outward lip - your choice. I'd even suggest getting the fitted "shield plate" (bottom lid), it is about $7 for that, but really helps to finish off the build (and provides some extra shielding).

They also have kits, but you wouldn't want the included chassis (chrome combo style chassis). You could also source most of your parts directly from them. They have layout diagrams and circuit diagrams on their site as well.
What would the inward vs outward lip be for? Head vs combo?

Latest Threads