Buffers & PreAmps

22Frets

Reaction score
Got a question ...

I use a Fender Level Set Buffer in front of my pedal board. Putting it in use has improved my tone. Now, I’ve heard (JHS Pedal Show) that it could be useful to use a pre-amp before the pedal string. I’m not sure. If I’m already using a buffer, how would the preamp be of use? Would the preamp go before or after the buffer, or would it be instead of the buffer? I can understand needing a preamp on an acoustic guitar, but before the pedals and amplifier preamp on an electric?

Please help. I’m confused.

ARandall

Reaction score
They're essentially the same thing.....a signal boost.
Buffers tend to be something that is built into a pedal to be always on, whether or not the pedal is engaged. They are there to maintain level, a boost the high end that is often lost with long cable runs and lots of electronic components in effects.
A preamp can either colour the signal, or be more full range. But it does the same job of boosting your signal.

22Frets

Reaction score
Thanks! I like what I’ve got. I’ll keep it without changing it.

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What I like about having the ubiquitous Boss TU tuner first on the pedalboard, is that it outputs a buffered signal, so that issue is also solved. Immediately after that, I always have the MXR Microamp as a pre-amp to boost the weaker output guitars for the same level of the louder onea, or as a straight mid-song boost for solos.

Bogmonster

Reaction score
I always hear people complaining about the buffers in Boss pedals. I've never had any issues with them over the years. I always found them really good myself.

Latest Threads