Buckingham Les Paul Custom

Progrocker111

Reaction score
On amps,he used to use Hiwatts,but in his words they all of a sudden became real dirty sounding(must have meant the higher gain,2-input amps,with the jumpered inputs?),so he switched to 100watt Marshalls.
Interesting, cause in mid 70s there still werent 2 hole Hiwatts and classic 4 holers were always much cleaner than Marshalls. :hmm:

roeg

Reaction score
Yeah,go figure.The interview is Jan 1977,so unlikely he was refering to a 2-holer.I have a mid(late?) '77 2 holer.But imho,they did get dirtier sounding compared to the early 70's in the examples i have played.He may have been taken out of context.

I have had 4-holers with the jumpered inputs and they can be quite distorted.Jumpering inputs was a techy favorite in a lot of examples i've seen.

0018g

Reaction score
I've always wondered i this was the same guitar John Stewart was using during the "Gold" period? He and Lindsay were tight. John started using the Turners shortly after Buckingham as well.

Maybe not. I know LB used John's Vega banjo on tour in the 70's-maybe they swapped for a while?

ajay

Reaction score
On YouTube, there is a pretty current interview with Lindsey at USC. After about an hour, he ends up jamming with the USC Trojans Marching Band. The first song is Tusk, and he plays a beautiful Strat. The second song is "Go Your Own Way", and he plays a gorgeous Les Paul Burst, and Being the collector that He is, it could be a '59, but it sounds awesome, and if it is a '59 Burst, it is the most beautiful Burst that I've ever seen.

Sean French

Reaction score
On YouTube, there is a pretty current interview with Lindsey at USC. After about an hour, he ends up jamming with the USC Trojans Marching Band. The first song is Tusk, and he plays a beautiful Strat. The second song is "Go Your Own Way", and he plays a gorgeous Les Paul Burst, and Being the collector that He is, it could be a '59, but it sounds awesome, and if it is a '59 Burst, it is the most beautiful Burst that I've ever seen.
Link please. :D

TradPro2

Reaction score
Nope, in Norlin days there were a few crappy LP's .. what they make now is all crap!

yeah, Gibson makes CRAP guitars now!

I just HATE EM

I hate that crap so much i have bought four perfect new Gibsons in that past
15 months and am keeping every one

but I hate em anyway, they are ALL CRAP

ajay

Reaction score
Link please. :D
Sorry. I don't know how to copy links. Someone will have to show me how. Go to YouTube, search "Lindsey Buckingham Interview USC", and TaDa! You'll be right there. It's one hour and forty eight minutes, and Lindsy starts playing at about one hour ten minutes or so.
Sorry, but You'll have to actually look for it.

Sean French

Reaction score
Nope, in Norlin days there were a few crappy LP's .. what they make now is all crap!

yeah, Gibson makes CRAP guitars now!

I just HATE EM

I hate that crap so much i have bought four perfect new Gibsons in that past
15 months and am keeping every one

but I hate em anyway, they are ALL CRAP

:lol::lol::lol:

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGzaPQtW_o[/ame]

ajay

Reaction score
Yeah, these Les Pauls are all crap! I'm going to go plug one in right now to enjoy the perfect intonation and action, not to mention the perfect finish and fretwork. Dang, two of 'em are pretty new too!? I better get rid of 'em while I can before the word gets out!

Hey Les Paul Hater. Who are all of those people in Your Avatar? Is that the group photo at the Les Paul Haters Convention?

Sean French

Reaction score
The second song is "Go Your Own Way", and he plays a gorgeous Les Paul Burst, and Being the collector that He is, it could be a '59, but it sounds awesome, and if it is a '59 Burst, it is the most beautiful Burst that I've ever seen.
The LP Lindsey is playing is a current Standard that has a perimeter Burst finish.
I watched and enjoyed the whole interview/performance.
Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

IMMusicRulz

Reaction score
Lindsey Buckingham also owned a bright yellow Gibson Les Paul that he used on the 1975 Fleetwood Mac album, Rumours and parts of Tusk, Mirage and his solo career. The white Gibson Les Paul custom was also used, if I remember correctly, for the electric guitar solo on the Bob Welch 1977 remake of Sentimental Lady. Every guitarist in Fleetwood Mac owned a Gibson Les Paul at some point. Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, Billy Burnette, Danny Kirwan, Bob Weston etc.

By the way, here are some nice pictures of Bob Welch playing a white Gibson Les Paul on the back cover of his 3 Hearts album.

If I remember correctly Bob Welch mostly played Orange Amps, a few Fender Bassman Amps, Ampeg amps and Music Man Amps. (Look closely at Bob Welch guitar strap and you can see the Music Man logo.)

Attachments

moreles

Reaction score
Funny how many people consider themselves more expert than one of the most accomplished songwriters and players of all time, whose guitar sounds are massively popular with the public and revered by his peers. Not everyone likes to play a Custom. In fact, most guitarists prefer other guitars. (I like Customs, myself, but...) The tones Lindsey got out of those Turners speaks for itself. Buckingham, who essentially produced the modern Fleetwood Mac, has better musical judgment than Mick Fleetwood. Why on earth would he want to sound like other palers? I say this having enjoyed every iteration of the band and respecting all its members, including, it must be said, the phenomenally musical and creative Danny Kirwan, RIP.

Latest Threads