Buckingham Les Paul Custom

Reaction score
Does anyone here have the scoop on what ever happened to Lindsey Buckingham's Custom? He never really talked much about it as far as I can tell.
Lindsey is a master and doesn't get the props for his chops that he deserves. :thumb:

He moved on to those Turner guitars and I never really dug the vibe.

Reaction score
For the first few Mac albums he used the white Custom quite a bit. I was just wondering what turned him off that guitar.

Guitar_nut

Reaction score
I'm no Buckingham expert, but I remember reading an interview with him recently where he talked about never liking that White Custom. He said that he bought the guitar because his bandmates wanted him to have a thicker and heavier sound. He said he hated the guitar and use to throw it around on stage because he was so pissed at it. He made some reference that his Tech was always busy replacing things that fell off. He said he bought it at a Guitar Center in LA or Hollywood. DISCLAIMER - This is just from my memory so my facts could be off.

Reaction score
I'm no Buckingham expert, but I remember reading an interview with him recently where he talked about never liking that White Custom. He said that he bought the guitar because his bandmates wanted him to have a thicker and heavier sound. He said he hated the guitar and use to throw it around on stage because he was so pissed at it. He made some reference that his Tech was always busy replacing things that fell off. He said he bought it at a Guitar Center in LA or Hollywood. DISCLAIMER - This is just from my memory so my facts could be off.
That's too bad, I wonder what he didn't like. I heard something along those same lines. It must have been heavy being a Custom, but there were plenty of guitars he could have used to thicken his tone and were lighter in weight.

ajay

Reaction score
Maybe He found out that He had bought a Chibson? That would make me hate an otherwise very cool Les Paul. That would explain pieces falling off of it.
Just kidding of course. I don't even know if Nixon had freed the Chinese yet back then! As good as Lindsey is at finger picking, maybe it was just the lack of a launch spot. I did nothing but fingerpick until I picked up Les Pauls. I have never found a comfortable way to fingerpick a Lester. I need a cool launch spot for my thumb, and it just isn't there. I feel like designing a Doublestick point for Your thumb to find a home.

Reaction score
Do you know what year he might have bought it. There were some years in those days where consistency in manufacturing wasn't very solid.

It might have been the case of when you're a young, rich, rock star, you walk into Guitar Center and say, "Give me your most expensive guitar." Maybe if he had gone to Gibson and told them what he wanted, they would have built something for him.

I honestly have no idea what happened. But to say, Oooh, White Custom. How could he not like it? Well, there could be any number of reasons.

Rock

Reaction score
I think I remember reading some interview that's on line a while back.

I think he liked the single coil bright sound of Strats and Tele's and that's what he wanted to play. Mick wanted him to play Humbucker Les Paul's like the previous guitar players in the band because a Stat or Tele would be too thin sounding.

So he bought a stock 1975 Les Paul 20th Anniversary model but he hated the darker, muddy sound of Humbuckers and dropped the guitar for a guitar with a brighter more single coil sound when he could. Well, I thought it was a 1975 Les Paul 20th Anniversary model but I could be wrong because I read the article quite some time ago in case someone posts that I'm wrong about this part.

I don't remember if they ever said what became of the guitar. I'm not sure if he still has it in storage somewhere or what?

politenessman

Reaction score
the problem wasnt the custom. the problem, as stevie nicks will attest, is that he was a bitch. apologies to all those other guys who made the big switch from the lpc to turner.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
That's too bad, I wonder what he didn't like. I heard something along those same lines. It must have been heavy being a Custom, but there were plenty of guitars he could have used to thicken his tone and were lighter in weight.
He didn't like the string spacing, as he is primarily a finger-picker.

His Turner guitars are set up more like an acoustic, with very wide string spacing, and a wider fretboard.

ajay

Reaction score
Nope, in Norlin days there were a few crappy LP's .. what they make now is all crap!

:wave:
I have a 1980 DeLuxe, a 2014 Peace, and a 2014 LPJ. I wouldn't sell or trade any of them. I guess I got lucky for thrice.

Sean French

Reaction score
Lindsey bought the Custom in early '75 after joining FM at Mick's request. So , it's either a '74 or '75.
He dumped it after the Rumors tour.

roeg

Reaction score
From the jan 1977 guitar player interview by dan forte:

The guitar in question was a stock twentieth anniversary Custom( '74 ,i believe was the 20th anniversary for lesters).The stratocastors which he played before(and loved) did not sound quite full enough live.He was already playing a turner(with an installed stratoblaster) at that time and had a stratocaster tuned to open D onstage.

In his words,the lespaul is a very good,basic,solid stage guitar with a lot of fullness and output.He was really happy with it at the time.

On amps,he used to use Hiwatts,but in his words they all of a sudden became real dirty sounding(must have meant the higher gain,2-input amps,with the jumpered inputs?),so he switched to 100watt Marshalls.

He used a sony 2-track deck for slap-back echo,and the preamp out into an amp for a fuzz effect.

no flatpicks,just fingernails./fingerpicking

He is a self-taught player and learned by lifting things off records.He enjoyed playing and never got into a disciplined appraoch.He got into country in LA.for a year and a half and learned how hard it is to play a few notes gracefully and evenly.
He mentions listening to Elvis,Buddy Holly,Everly Bros.,Jery Lee Lewis.Then some folk,where he got into fingerpicking.The kingston trio,Chet Atkins,and learning the Travis 3 finger picking pattern.Clapton and Peter Green came later and influenced him as well.

tidbits from the interview...enjoy.

Latest Threads