Bucket list P90 guitar arrived today!!! 1960 Les Paul Special DC

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted a vintage DC Special. But as you all know, they can be quite pricey and most of them have either heel joint breaks or issues. I finally found one that was all original, unbroken wood with a killer restoration/refin (the original owner stripped the finish off back in the 60s.

I bought this guitar from Dan, the owner of MOJOAXE. He is a super guy. We had a nice conversation on the phone while sealing the deal on the Les Paul. Dan bought the guitar from the original owner and took it to RS Guitarworks for a complete and correct refin and re fret. OH MY GOD!!!! RS did an incredible job on this 60 Special!!! Perfect color match to the original paint in the cavities, great fret work and very realistic, light and tasteful relic job!!!

This Special maintains its original pickups, pots, toggle, jack, knobs, pickguard, fretboard, truss rod cover, wood and bridge studs. Dan put one of his MOJOAXE compensated tailpieces on it. It had been drilled out for grovers, but RS filled the holes and put a set of aged/new 3-per-plate tuners back on it, like the originals.

The neck is a Medium C carve. .82 at the first. It really light....7.5 lbs.

This guitar has a fat, beefy tone! These P90s sound incredible!!! It plays just as awesome...great fret work!!! I'm so happy with this guitar!!!

IMG_2820 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2822 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2835 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2837 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2838 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2839 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2840 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2834 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Love that guitar Brent! Congrats!! :applause:

Saw that before when Dan had it for sale, and was drooling then!

Looks even better now!!

Ain't them old P-90's the bomb? ! :dude:

But gotta ask, where did you get those cool as hell boxes with the fretboard tops?

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Premium Member
Reaction score

Looks even better now!!

But gotta ask, where did you get those cool as hell boxes with the fretboard tops?
THANKS MIKE!!!

Those p90s sound INCREDIBLE!!!!!

The fretboard boxes were made by a former Heritage employee

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Premium Member
Reaction score

Looks even better now!!

Awesome! Congrats and enjoy Brent!
Wow. Nothing to say but congrats, and enjoy in good health. Such great pics, looks like a monster player.
Yep, that's a looker there.
You know how to show stuff

Looks even better now!!

Thanks guys!!!

This guitar really speaks to me, its a great feeling!

WayneLawKid

Reaction score
Congrats! That is a very authentic looking refin. Gotta love those mid-to-late 1960 specials with the neck pickup moved a little further towards the bridge! Looks like you've already shimmed the bridge P-90. That's a must. :dude:

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats! That is a very authentic looking refin. Gotta love those mid-to-late 1960 specials with the neck pickup moved a little further towards the bridge! Looks like you've already shimmed the bridge P-90. That's a must. :dude:
It was literally a plug n play setup by Dan. The pickups were set perfectly. These p90s sound like no other p90 I have ever played. Nothing against Lollar and Fralin....but these pickups have just GOT IT!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is that Traynor in the pic the head version of their old nuclear twin from the depths of hell?

We sold em in the 70's.... Folks just think a Twin Rev is loud.... Goot lawt awmighty....

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is that Traynor in the pic the head version of their old nuclear twin from the depths of hell?

We sold em in the 70's.... Folks just think a Twin Rev is loud.... Goot lawt awmighty....
It’s a Mark 3 with trem and reverb. 4 EL34s.

When I bought it a few weeks ago, the Reverb was dead. I took it apart and realized that there was a broken wire in the reverb tank, so I soldered it back on and it still sounded like crap.

So I bought a new MOD reverb tank and that solved the problem now it sounds incredible. It’s a really great Amp and like you said it’s loud as you know what.

Reactions: ehb

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why is it that I just sold this guitar and yet reading this thread makes me wish it was mine? LOL I’m glad to hear that you’re happy with it, Brent. It is a really nice guitar. I’d have kept it, but I have a number of really nice guitars and I’m getting to the point that I want to pare down the collection a bit. Something had to go, and so this DC Special ended up on the chopping block. I got to enjoy it for the 15 years I owned it, and now it’s time for it to be enjoyed by its new keeper. :)

Latest Threads