BSM Treble Booster Power Supply

terriblebmx

Reaction score
Hey guys, I purchased a BSM "metal" treble booster. Even though I don't necessarily play heavy metal.
I'm more of a Frank Zappa, Tony Iommi, Alvin Lee type of player. Regardless, I purchased this pedal and was interested in knowing If I can source a 9V DC power supply to substitute the 9V battery that it uses. I constantly go through batteries. Only thing is is that the pedal doesn't contain a 9V power supply socket. I'd have to custom make it into the pedal. Is there a reason why there isn't a power supply socket? Maybe because of feedback?
Sorry if it's a newb question. I'm new to pedals. Thanks!

morbidalex666

Reaction score
Firstly, you shouldn't go through batteries like you describe, with a pedal that draws so little current. You just have to unplug the input jack when you stop playing so that the battery is disconnected.
This is a germanium based treble booster you have. These pedals are notorous for their noise level, even when using batteries, which provide way cleaner power than most power supplies out there.

My suggestion is to leave this pedal alone. Modding it will reduce its value and the resulting sound will probably not be as nice, as the pedal is designed to run on batteries only.

You can always look for a modern alternative (like tha Catalinbread Naga Viper) if you definitely will use a power supply solution.

Cheers!

terriblebmx

Reaction score
Firstly, you shouldn't go through batteries like you describe, with a pedal that draws so little current. You just have to unplug the input jack when you stop playing so that the battery is disconnected.
This is a germanium based treble booster you have. These pedals are notorous for their noise level, even when using batteries, which provide way cleaner power than most power supplies out there.

My suggestion is to leave this pedal alone. Modding it will reduce its value and the resulting sound will probably not be as nice, as the pedal is designed to run on batteries only.

You can always look for a modern alternative (like tha Catalinbread Naga Viper) if you definitely will use a power supply solution.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply Alex. I'm not sure why I was going through so many batteries but for the little play time that I do happen to use the pedal I feel like I'm changing the battery after only a couple of hours because the booster just dies down.
I currently play through a Marshall DSL 15C and the SG sounds just as good without the pedal but I want to give it another shot. I just have to change the battery again lol maybe I was leaving the battery engaged with the input jack like you were stating. I'll keep that in mind and disconnect after every use. Thanks for the tip!

morbidalex666

Reaction score
I currently play through a Marshall DSL 15C and the SG sounds just as good without the pedal but I want to give it another shot. I just have to change the battery again lol maybe I was leaving the battery engaged with the input jack like you were stating. I'll keep that in mind and disconnect after every use.
If you run batteries, dissconecting the input jack is unfortunately the only way to go - and that's one of their drawbacks. On the other hand, a device such as the treble booster is arguably better sounding with a battery inside. By dissconecting the input jack, the fresh battery you'll put in now will last you months - not kidding.

The DSL sound is one of my favourite Marshall sounds ever. I boost my DSL20CR with either a stock SD-1 or a graphic EQ. Very versatile and reliable amps!

Latest Threads