Brown Sugar is Cancelled.

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So. from where I stand. Looking in on this.

Rap is exempt from scrutiny of words being offensive ? (I'm sorry. Can't call them lyrics unless you sing)

Yep... and Quentin Tarantino can use all the racial slurs he wants in his films and it's somehow okay... :p

I love hypocritical social trends. Being more or less immune to all of it, I have a tendency to just laugh my head off at some of this shit.

--R :p

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is this a big deal?

They seem to not want to be hassled about playing it and they maintained control by deciding for themselves they don't want to play it.

Did I miss something? Were the masses clamoring in the streets and burning shit down over "Brown Sugar"?

Seems like a non-issue. You can still queue it up anytime you want. It's still a great song.

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always liked the music, I guess the lyrics are a little “edgy“. Shame to retire it, why don’t they write new lyrics? I’m sure somebody here can come up with something pretty quickly.

The linked article explains why the lyrics are fine.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Under my thumb
The girl who once had me down
Under my thumb
The girl who once pushed me around

It's down to me
The difference in the clothes she wears
Down to me, the change has come
She's under my thumb

And ain't it the truth babe?

Under my thumb
It's a squirmin' dog who's just had her day
Under my thumb
A girl who has just changed her ways

It's down to me, yes it is
The way she does just what she's told down to me
The change has come
She's under my thumb
Ah, ah, say it's alright

Under my thumb
A Siamese cat of a girl
Under my thumb
She's the sweetest, hmmm, pet in the world

It's down to me
The way she talks when she's spoken to
She's under my thumb
Ah, take it easy babe
Yeah

It's down to me, oh yeah
She's under my thumb
Yeah, it feels alright

Under my thumb
Her eyes are just kept to herself
Under my thumb, well I
I can still look at someone else

It's down to me, oh that's what I said
She's under my thumb
Say, it's alright

Say it's all
Say it's all

Take it easy babe
Take it easy babe
Feels alright
Take it, take it easy babe
Past lyrics. In the future, just to be safe, anyone writing music should say something like

There is a person who I respect and would like to get to know better

Upon their consent, I’d like to meet them on neutral ground and express my respect and admiration, but not in a triggering way

If they show the same respect for me and express that they would like to get to know me better too

We can associate with each other in a respectful way that doesn’t offend anyone with any sorts of patriarchal traditions like door-openings or getting the check

No physical forms of affection to be expected in any way
No forms of physical affection to be expected in any way yeah yeah yeah
No forms of physical affection to be expected in any way, no no
Not simply because we shared a meal
Shared a meal
Oh how I respect you, you person of intrinsic value

I’m sure you’d have to make it rhyme or some shit, but I think we could make a fuckin hit.

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did this to a Christmas song. Anything is on the hook.

Which thankfully I am glad for cause this original song literally raped me once.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Why is this a big deal?

They seem to not want to be hassled about playing it and they maintained control by deciding for themselves they don't want to play it.

Did I miss something? Were the masses clamoring in the streets and burning shit down over "Brown Sugar"?

Seems like a non-issue. You can still queue it up anytime you want. It's still a great song.
Then why not just stop playing it? Why make an announcement? There's plenty of songs they've released that they don't play live. They wanted this controversy

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
Why is this a big deal?

This.

At a certain point, we just have to realize that what was once socially acceptable might not be reasonably defensible anymore. It has always been this way, since the dawn of mankind. This is not new. The information age has sped up the rate of change dramatically, but that doesn't change the fact social norms evolve. What also changes is the lens we view history through.

The song was written in '69. That's over 50 years ago. Anyone who says society has not changed since then (multiple times) has been living under a rock.

Mick and Keef get it. I'm sure their current bandmates appreciate the sentiment. This isn't a couple of triggered college students or whatever, this is a couple rapidly aging rockers who really don't want to deal with the noise. It's their choice.

EspyHop

Reaction score
Skynard will probably be next since they had a flag on an album.
Skynyrd already quit using the Confederate flag a few years back, opting to use the Alabama flag for SHA, instead. What’s more, using the Confederate flag was MCA’s idea, not their’s. It was just a marketing gimmick that became part of their schtick.

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
download.jpg

Wonder what he is thinking?

Am I next?

Guess he isn't thinking anything...Drp

Last edited:

Latest Threads