Broken truss rod nut on new Gibson LPJ?

djs259

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I just took off the cover to give the truss rod on the new LPJ I purchased from Musician's Friend a slight tweak and couldn't help but notice to my great chagrin upon removing the plastic cover that the truss rod nut appears cracked! The truss rod appears to turn fine and the adjustments registered in the neck. The guitar seems to play very nicely. Is this worth returning the guitar over?

Here's a photo:

Attachments

• IMG_9328.jpg
    IMG_9328.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 231

martin H

Reaction score
Very odd. if the missing part was not in the cavity, I can only come to two conclusions:

1. Someone at MF actually tried to adjust the nut, it split, but they shipped the instrument anyway (unlikely)

2. Someone at the factory fitted a mis-formed truss rod nut, which also seems unlikely - those nuts are a few cents each.

Therefore the cause remains a mystery. It's probably not affecting the operation of the rod, but it will freak out anyone who looks under the cover.

If you like the instrument and have a warranty center near you, it's a simple warranty repair, or just pay a local luthier to replace the nut..

If not -send it back.

djs259

Reaction score
I'm sending it back

This is total B.S. and a real downer. The box was factory sealed, by the way, so MF never touched it. Came straight from Nashville like this.

Oh, the quality!

djs259

Reaction score
well how would you turn the nut without also loosening the entire truss rod in the process?

Biddlin

Reaction score
well how would you turn the nut without also loosening the entire truss rod in the process?
Turn the nut counter clockwise. The rod is fixed, at the other end.
richlespaul-albums-cut-gold-picture1504-gold-3.jpg

if I liked the way the guitar played and sounded, I would keep it and replace the nut or have a local shop do it and do a setup.Otherwise, send it back.
;>)/

ryanmichael95

Reaction score
If the guitar is otherwise a keeper, I'd not send it back over that. I could easily overlook that if I bonded with the guitar.

If not, it's a good reason to send it back to MF and have them pay shipping and all.

ARandall

Reaction score
Thats not a cracked nut from the shot.....it looks merely like someone has attacked it with a sander.....maybe at some point during the build process the nut was not screwed in while the headstock veneer was sanded flat.

It should have been spotted, but QC seems to be a rush job these day. Really, a small sanded section of the nut but yet a still functioning rod/nut is a small problem to get that aggro over - throwing the baby out with the bath water and all that.
Needless to say, as others have pointed out if the guitar is good, its such a trivial item maybe you could arrange it either to be replaced at a local shop with the fee paid by MF, or get them to pay shipping both ways and put a new nut on - cause thats all it needs.

djs259

Reaction score
MF said they would replace it or give me a refund. I'm going to take my chances with a replacement rather than spend any time having it re-nutted. :hmm:

To Gibson's general credit, however, I must admit that the overall quality of the guitar was quite high. You may be correct about the sanding but I don't feel comfortable with it. None of my other Gibsons have worn down nuts.

Let's hope for the best for the replacement :fingersx:

ARandall

Reaction score
The re-nut is just simply screw off, screw on. Its not like there's some magical chakra re-aligning of the new nut to the vibes of the guitar process that has to happen.

But it was your call obviously, hope its goes well this time.

djs259

Reaction score
with my luck I'm probably get another one with an even more sanded nut

duke1098

Reaction score
there's also what appears to be weld slag on the half moon washer. Im thinking a welder must have fallen on the washer and nut and someone grinded them apart. weird.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Brass Truss Rod Nut for Gibson® guitars - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

Unscrew the old.

Screw on the new.

Fixed

Why take the risk of getting a guitar that dorsnt play as well?

You like it, right?

Having a piece missing on the rounded back lip of the nut isn't going to affect the function at all. It'll still fit a wrench. It's like having a small piece of a nail's head broken. It still does it's job. It's your call though...

duke1098

Reaction score
I would alert Gibson tech support to at least make them aware of the problem.
They should also send you the parts to repair it yourself. Heck they Might even send you a brand new 2015 Studio for compensation.

:io:

djs259

Reaction score
Duke,

Do you think a 2015 Studio would be a better guitar than an LPJ? Everyone seems to praise the LPJ guitars but all I hear is whining and grousing when it comes to the Studios. I'm curious to hear your opinion.

ARandall

Reaction score
Each guitar is an individual, and must be treated as such. No-one that owns either model will have a perspective that is more experienced than about .0001% of the guitars out there. I certainly wouldn't take any survey seriously with that range.

BenK

Reaction score
Duke,

Do you think a 2015 Studio would be a better guitar than an LPJ? Everyone seems to praise the LPJ guitars but all I hear is whining and grousing when it comes to the Studios. I'm curious to hear your opinion.

The LPJ was the entry level gibson (in 2013 and 2014 when they were made), and the studios are a step up....at least from a price/marketing/features standpoint.

The lpj has a maple neck and a 50s profile(ish), and if it's a 2014 LPJ (like mine) it has 61 zebra humbuckers. I like the stripped down workhorse type look it has. Great platform for mods too.
I couldn't be happier.

The 2015 studios have a slimmer mahogany neck, 57 classic pups, the G force tuner, and a brass nut.
They have different finishes too....and comes with a hard shell case and all that new headstock flair everyone around here loves :)

I do love my LPJ, it has a great build quality and it's my first gibson!
Sorry you had an issue with yours but that's the main differences between the LPJ and the 2015 studio

Oh and price. 2015 studio msrp is around 1,200. I got my 2014 LPJ second hand for little more than half that.

duke1098

Reaction score
Duke,

The 2015 studio felt really good in my hands and while im not in the market for a new guitar at the moment I would seriously consider a 2015 Studio but only if they came down in price a little. I play 7 stringers and classical guitars so the wider fretboard was not totally foreign to me.

I could live with it.

Having said that I own a 2013 LPJ and that is a no frills plank. Very good bang for buck if you can live with blingless look. Total rock monster.

a wise man once said to me, " Put it in your hands, close your eyes and rock.
You'll soon realize if its you or not. "

:thumb:

Latest Threads