Broken Pot Post

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
So I'm a genius and when I was swapping a speed knob I accidentally broke the side off of a post on my treble volume pot. I don't necessarily want to swap out the pot if I can find an easy enough fix. I was thinking about just filling the hole on the new speed knob up with something that will bond to both metal and plastic, or maybe fill it up with something that will dry and then can be pushed onto the remaining side of the post....
Any suggestions are welcome and would be greatly appreciated.
In the event that a new pot/set of pot is the best option can anyone suggest any brands and approx cost (I'm in Toronto if anyone has a good source). I've never swapped anything other than pickups or machine heads so I'm kind of a noob. It's a 2007 spec Les Paul Standard.

Thanks fellas

Cdntac

Reaction score
I'd wrap it in hockey tape. Cut some pieces, maybe 1" in length and wrap them around the remaining post. Build it up enough so that the knob fits over it snugly.

Otherwise just pay for someone to repair it. East end I'd go to The 12th Fret or west end to The Guitar Shop in Port Credit. No doubt there are lots of guys who can do it (it's not really hard) but those are the two places I know of.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I changed a knob and the post went back inside the pot. I bought a new one.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Were you spreading it apart with something?

Reaction score
Try a piece of a matchstick. Sand to fit, use a small strip of tape around the post to hold it in place.

Otherwise just replace the pot.

ddh101

Reaction score
Replace the pot. You'll be happy you did. It's a 15 minute job for a pro. An hour for an amateur with soldering skills. Good luck.

smorgdonkey

Reaction score
I used 2 part epoxy to fix one. It did a decent job but it takes a while to cure and you need to have it at the proper spacing from the other vertical piece for it to be perfect. It took me two tries but it worked well in the end.

Mask off the top of the guitar in case any of it drops down onto it - do it. It's only a few minutes and it can save a lot of pain.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
For me, replacing the pot is the ONLY right answer.

jeffy

Reaction score
Replace it and never had to worry about it again. Pots aren't designed to change out individual parts like the shaft. You could do it but it's really not worth it. Just replace it and be done.

monkfish

Reaction score
For me, replacing the pot is the ONLY right answer.
I agree with this, but if the OP really doesn't want to maybe he could try fashioning a piece of wood dowel with a penknife to complete the missing shaft profile.

paco1976

Reaction score
Highest quality pots you can get is CTS, or at least the high end standard, and they are $10 or less.

El Kabong

Reaction score
I'd actually take it as in invitation to replace the whole harness...

HCRoadie

Reaction score
If you can swap pick ups, you can swap a pot. But carving a piece of hard wood dowel can work as well.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Be different. Solder a little lever on the pot and use that instead of a knob. :wow:

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
Were you spreading it apart with something?
Yes, when I took off the top hats I noticed that the two prongs were pushed together completely (I'd say from the original owner). I used a small flat head to get them apart and as soon as they were spaced normally the one side cracked and fell off - must've been effed with a bit too much in the past.