Broken neck or Finish Crack ?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately looks like a wide headstock crack, that probably has some internal fracture in the grain.

Do you have a similar crack on the other side?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I have been always under the impression that Schallers are the best because of their design; even when the lock fails, it is still holds the guitar with the U shape carve.
Obviously not in this case. I've heard other horror stories. But not with Grolsch washers and a thick strap. My straps are actually a PITA to remove so I just leave them on all the time.

AlanBiker

Reaction score
Schallers are fine when fitted correctly and checked for tightness every once in a while, they are not "fit and forget". You don't drive a car without sometimes looking at the tyres to make sure they aren't flat or bald, so like anything with moving parts they should be checked.

Alan

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Schallers are fine when fitted correctly and checked for tightness every once in a while, they are not "fit and forget". You don't drive a car without sometimes looking at the tyres to make sure they aren't flat or bald, so like anything with moving parts they should be checked.

Alan
For me, beer washers are fit and forget.

jc2000

Reaction score
OUCH!!! sorry to hear about that!

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I always use Schaller. Hmm its a break okay... well i'll go and fix it by a Luthier. Thanks for replies
I want to hear what your luthier finds. That is not where headstocks usually seem to break and the cracks usually follow the grain in a straight line. Did your guitar hit something on the way down that could have scratched it? If that crack was bad enough to go across the grain you would expect to see damage on both sides. Do you see any movement at the spot of the damage?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be the neck still has proper structural proprieties, so you don't need (yet) to fix it. Check your relief now, and if you can tune it properly.
If you see the crack opening while tuning, or while tweaking the neck relief, then you need a luthier asap. He will open that crack to inject the glue and clamp. Will be stronger than before.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I always use a dab of locktite on my schallers. Even then you have to make sure they lock. Sometimes they're a bugger to snap on.

Ooops and +1 on the break.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another vote for it being a legit crack. Sorry that happened.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Bummer about your guitar. Get 'er fixed and play 'er loud, and yes, get strap-locks. I too use Grolsch, but have used Schallers before as well, they're fine so long as you lube the locking pin every so often.

scozz

Reaction score
Unusual area for a break...but it certainly appears to be a break. I’m feel for you @lespaultobi.

I hate seeing cracked necks.