Broken mirrors from Murphy Lab

You're ok with the art of aging. Which weather checkings do you prefer?

• Razor blade cut (old ones)

• Temperature broken mirror (new ones)

Results are only viewable after voting.

GearHo

Reaction score
I like relics, and aged guitars. I always have and always will.

What happens is the more a guitar is aged, the more it looks fake. Subtle aging is usually done pretty well, and eliminates the over the top fakery that aging brings about when too much is applied. You just cant over do it.

The freezer checking is probably my least favorite. And its not only Gibson that messes this up. My DJ aged les paul had the freezer checking, with the "right" nitro spray, and it looked terrible. Its not a reflection on the builder, it just isnt something you can calculate once you go this route.

I have the razor checking from Tom Murphy on my Rossington, and it looks better than freezer checking but still its easy for a trained eye to see its not authentic. So who fakes aging, and what they do doesnt make any difference if you like it.

One thing that was happening to one of my rossingtons was the murphy razor blades were going vertically, and some natural checking started coming in horizontally, which looked like a total clusterfuck of bad ideas.

Murphy labs have produced some very appealing guitars from what I can see, but the freezer checking ..... no.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my 2014 CC#28 Montrose STP Burst...... I didn't buy because it was aged,.. i bought because it was the best CC the shop had and there was 5 different CCs there. The aging isn't bad but it looks good enough,... and most folks who don't know are convinced it's a old guitar. Not too many people know what an old Les Paul supposed to look like anyways. I even been told that it was worn out and needed a new one.......:rofl:Anyways it's the only "faked" aged guitar i own.

I like it.

IMG_1450.JPG

4B6C03D3-E9B4-4D36-B95E-C4A2E1927A90.jpeg

83FFE8E4-D587-4E20-BA45-89ED3E8C7761.jpeg

45D82F5C-A975-48EB-9CF8-0C06E949DB8D.jpeg

F2CEA9E4-956F-481D-8462-0FE4EAE14021.jpeg

83114DD3-C163-4D6D-A7C7-A0B782B22764.jpeg

CA0977C0-A695-4D59-8BDD-342AEFB72D5D.jpeg

FF6FB8C4-7558-455A-ACE2-0BAEF6660461.jpeg

It would be more convincing if the plastics had some aging too.

I got it for $4500,.... i can't complain.

It has the sweetest middle position pup tone ever.

mjross

Reaction score
This is my 2014 CC#28 Montrose STP Burst...... I didn't buy because it was aged,.. i bought because it was the best CC the shop had and there was 5 different CCs there. The aging isn't bad but it looks good enough,... and most folks who don't know are convinced it's a old guitar. Not too many people know what an old Les Paul supposed to look like anyways. I even been told that it was worn out and needed a new one.......:rofl:Anyways it's the only "faked" aged guitar i own.

I like it.

View attachment 524595

View attachment 524588

View attachment 524589

View attachment 524590

View attachment 524592

View attachment 524593

View attachment 524591

View attachment 524594

Diggin it! That’s real nice man.

ARandall

Reaction score
I've seen it on older guitars, but never had it happen to me. I live in the Northeast, so my guitars are often exposed to temperature changes. Not a single line.

What bugs me that is the cracking happens randomly, all these guitars are cracked in very non random patterns...its silly.
I've got a 58 V clone that I made that has never been out of the house and is checked everywhere.
Oddly enough that was finished using the more flexible nitro formula.
But many more of my guitars have some checking on them just from being stored at home.

BDW60

Reaction score
I've got a 58 V clone that I made that has never been out of the house and is checked everywhere.
Oddly enough that was finished using the more flexible nitro formula.
But many more of my guitars have some checking on them just from being stored at home.
Love to see a pic of the V ...

kakerlak

Reaction score
The razor-cut ones just look a little overwrought, IMO, especially the black customs and black painted headstock faces. They lack that sort of sightly puckered-and-melted back together ridge of all the checking lines you usually see ona true vintage guitar. If you see a real vintage finish with as much gap in the checking lines as the razor cut ones have, that's the sort of finish that's also flaking away.

I think Fender CS is doing a better job with the checking, though some of the heavy relic stuff they do and the treatment of the maple boards where they're black around the perimeter of every fret isn't quite right.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have a question for those who may know.

Which method would be more durable?

Would the actual freezing process cause the finish to flake over time?

I ask because there are many smaller segments produced with the freezer method and the shrinking and expanding that causes the fracture might cause the finish to detach from the body.

It seems that the razor method is less destructive..... but I really don’t know. My razor aged CC is 7 years old and haven’t had any flaking at all and there are some really small segmentation.

Just curious.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have a question for those who may know.

Which method would be more durable?

Would the actual freezing process cause the finish to flake over time?

I ask because there are many smaller segments produced with the freezer method and the shrinking and expanding that causes the fracture might cause the finish to detach from the body.

It seems that the razor method is less destructive..... but I really don’t know. My razor aged CC is 7 years old and haven’t had any flaking at all and there are some really small segmentation.

Just curious.

the Durable ones are the Blade Checking ones ....due to the armored nitro on them ....Which.... I'm just... Whatever .....I like it because I don't have to treat it like a Madonna....I can be a bit rough ....my experience has taught me that I'm a bad handler of anything too nice.

I like the played in feeling too....I have plenty of road warts that got the black eye ....you should see my strat ....I played it so much it needs a new neck after 2 re frets...

This is a 2019 Anniversary R9 ....its checking naturally already ....My guess is they have been screwing around with the nitro formula for sometime, and put it out there to see what happens...I could ...Maybe warranty this ....But I don't wanna....

Look closely there are long cracks,

Beastie28

Reaction score
This 1960 standard is showing a good amount of (presumably) natural checking.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yep, my fave necks from those I've built are the deep C necks. That one is probably just shy of 1" at the 1st, but with only a very little fattening to the 12th.

GearHo

Reaction score

I like it.

View attachment 524595

View attachment 524588

View attachment 524589

View attachment 524590

View attachment 524592

View attachment 524593

View attachment 524591

View attachment 524594

here is my cc #28 I bought it cause it was pretty,,,,,

guitardon

Reaction score
You have never had a nitro-finished guitar check, or even seen it? Weird, but that doesn't mean it's not a thing that happens.
I have never had a guitar that checked on its own. The real ones in the books we’ve probably abused and not taken care of IMHO. They were put through the passes being left in the trunk in the cold and opened in a warm room many times.

In 77 I owned a 1958 it was 19 years old well used but no checking.
6 years ago I owned a 56 black beauty, over 50 years old, well worn and no checking
Currently I own a 2002, 19 years old, nicely worn with no checking
I owned a 50’s Martin a while back, it was the only one with checks. They were few and far between. Now that one was some nice checking. You sorta had to look for it.

I’m not saying that they don’t check on their own but I believe it is the exception not the rule. I’ve owned several Murphy aged guitars over the years but never really cared for them, too much aging and they all looked alike. I got tired of them quickly. I bought them used for a decent price,I really didn’t pay more if any for them. So it isn’t clear to me why so much fuss is made by the Murphy Lab guitars. To me it’s just another ploy to generate sales. After all saying this year is the latest and best ever has gotten old, there isn’t much left to brag about so now it’s Murphy Lab. I would be more excited if Murphy Lab was dedicated to making the aging look real and not overdone. To each his own.

Please understand this is IMHO. I ain’t bashing anyone for their liking or not liking artificial aging. There is a place in the market for all of them but a whole division for Murphy Lab is over kill, just like his aging is over kill. I do understand that they have varying degrees of aging but I wouldn’t pay xtra for one.

NowI have to brace myself for the blow back I’m gonna get, I’m sure I’ve fluffed many a feathers with this post.

Last edited:

wholelottaburst

Reaction score
I like the look of a beat-up guitar. The best looking not-naturally-aged Les Pauls I've seen and handled have been done by Bill Nash. No two were alike and I prefer that rather than "cookie-cutter" aged instruments.

I'm still waiting for someone to figure out how to "age" a Rosewood fret board and frets. You want the experience of playing an old guitar then age the fretboard and frets. Yup: take your new guitar and pull out the frets and age the 'board with some gouges and grooves and replace the frets after putting a few divots and flat spots in 'em.

Only my not too humble opinion.

wholelottaburst

Reaction score
I have never had a guitar that checked on its own. The real ones in the books we’ve probably abused and not taken care of IMHO. They were put through the passes being left in the trunk in the cold and opened in a warm room many times.

In 77 I owned a 1958 it was 19 years old well used but no checking.
6 years ago I owned a 56 black beauty, over 50 years old, well worn and no checking
Currently I own a 2002, 19 years old, nicely worn with no checking
I owned a 50’s Martin a while back, it was the only one with checks. They were few and far between. Now that one was some nice checking. You sorta had to look for it.

I’m not saying that they don’t check on their own but I believe it is the exception not the rule. I’ve owned several Murphy aged guitars over the years but never really cared for them, too much aging and they all looked alike. I got tired of them quickly. I bought them used for a decent price,I really didn’t pay more if any for them. So it isn’t clear to me why so much fuss is made by the Murphy Lab guitars. To me it’s just another ploy to generate sales. After all saying this year is the latest and best ever has gotten old, there isn’t much left to brag about so now it’s Murphy Lab. I would be more excited if Murphy Lab was dedicated to making the aging look real and not overdone. To each his own.

Please understand this is IMHO. I ain’t bashing anyone for their liking or not liking artificial aging. There is a place in the market for all of them but a whole division for Murphy Lab is over kill, just like his aging is over kill. I do understand that they have varying degrees of aging but I wouldn’t pay xtra for one.

NowI have to brace myself for the blow back I’m gonna get, I’m sure I’ve fluffed many a feathers with this post.
Wait!! You meant to say you don't like "Double Gold"?!! How can you *not* like Double Gold?!
;)

wildhawk1

Reaction score
The anti-relic crowd has no problem though with spray painting over beautiful pieces of wood.

Latest Threads