Broken mirrors from Murphy Lab

You're ok with the art of aging. Which weather checkings do you prefer?

• Razor blade cut (old ones)

• Temperature broken mirror (new ones)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oleynior

Reaction score
I'm glad that Gibson got back on his feet after Juszkiewicz era and chose the right direction. I had a couple of 2019 Gibson USA, and few CS (one R8 2019 and two R9 2020). Those are amazing guitars!

As a fan of the Gibson brand, I waited a long time for the effect of Murphy Lab's work. I saw these guitars yesterday and they look beautiful. Nice job Gibson! The only thing I don't like is... new style of weather checkings. I'm sorry, but they look like amateur relic from YT made by a can of freezer. I remember you praising the old TM method:

"...but when Tom (Murphy) first started doing that for as it gives an employee in the custom shop at the time he didn't want to tell anybody what he did, how he did it, so people thought: Oh yeah! You freeze it and you put in the freezer, you take it up and heat, you hang it in the sun, all of this stuff (...) Those lacquer checkings, all those lines in the lacquer, Tom was cutting by hand with a razor blade and when I first found out about that I almost fell over..."

(strated from 7:32)

What are your feelings guys?

ww59c.jpg

ww60a.jpg

ww59a.jpg

boola1

Reaction score
I don't understand why anybody pays full price for a damaged guitar. Now we're examining the quality of the damage?

Damage doesn't affect the price of a new guitar but it significantly reduces the price of a used guitar! :dunno:

d1m1

Reaction score
To me both ways are wrong and ugly. The razor blade methode is just artificial. No discussion about that.
And the temperature checkin is done wrong. Too fast and abrupt so the checkins look unnatural and odd. That happend because they heat up shortly the laquer and then they freeze it fast, so the laquer brakes randomly. Natural weather checkins result if the whole guitar gets warm and then cold. E.g. when players went from the cold in a warm small pub and then go out with the sweaty warm guitar in the cold again. Some folks used to let the guitar in the car over night. Those natural parallel checkings result if the wood expands/shrinks as well. Not only the laquer in a few secods...

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
I'm glad that Gibson got back on his feet after Juszkiewicz era and chose the right direction. I had a couple of 2019 Gibson USA, and few CS (one R8 2019 and two R9 2020). Those are amazing guitars!

As a fan of the Gibson brand, I waited a long time for the effect of Murphy Lab's work. I saw these guitars yesterday and they look beautiful. Nice job Gibson! The only thing I don't like is... new style of weather checkings. I'm sorry, but they look like amateur relic from YT made by a can of freezer. I remember you praising the old TM method:

"...but when Tom (Murphy) first started doing that for as it gives an employee in the custom shop at the time he didn't want to tell anybody what he did, how he did it, so people thought: Oh yeah! You freeze it and you put in the freezer, you take it up and heat, you hang it in the sun, all of this stuff (...) Those lacquer checkings, all those lines in the lacquer, Tom was cutting by hand with a razor blade and when I first found out about that I almost fell over..."

(strated from 7:32)

What are your feelings guys?

View attachment 524527

View attachment 524528

View attachment 524529
My feelings are that this is gonna turn into another silly relic bashing thread, in which people wax poetic about honor and valor and smoky bars and paying dues. This is just another way to finish a freakin guitar and a lot of people like it. If you want one pristine, the custom shop will make you one like that.

As to the checking, whichever method they use somebody isn’t gonna love it.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My feelings are that this is gonna turn into another silly relic bashing thread, in which people wax poetic about honor and valor and smoky bars and paying dues. This is just another way to finish a freakin guitar and a lot of people like it. If you want one pristine, the custom shop will make you one like that.

I always go back to the fact that companies will provide for the demand they see and charge what the market will be bear.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Amen.

Beastie28

Reaction score
I have a Murphy R9 with the razor blade "checking" (cutting). It has a distinctly different look than authentic nitro checking. But that is fine by me actually, it is a nice look and just another way to finish a guitar as mentioned earlier. I had a singlecut replica (ExNihilo) that was checked with the freezer method and quite beautifully done, I would say much better than the Murphy lab pictures posted here.

And I have a perfectly brand new looking R7, and that looks nice as well.

Here is a video I took of the ExNihilo checking.

Last edited:

BigJim

Reaction score
In all my years of gigging in all types of climates, with all kinds of electric guitars, I have never seen or experienced this type of aging. I have worn spots on upper bouts, I have worn neck finishes, but never checking/cracking.

So, to me, all these "methods" seem silly.

tspoon5150

Reaction score
In all my years of gigging in all types of climates, with all kinds of electric guitars, I have never seen or experienced this type of aging. I have worn spots on upper bouts, I have worn neck finishes, but never checking/cracking.

Thank You, That was what I was thinking

greens

Reaction score

You have never had a nitro-finished guitar check, or even seen it? Weird, but that doesn't mean it's not a thing that happens.

greens

Reaction score
Historic Makeovers is one of the few who get checking that looks real. I'm sorry to say everything from Murphy/Murphy labs looks amateurish and super fake. They should be payng Kim whatever it takes to teach them how to do it right. For what they charge they can afford it.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Historic Makeovers is one of the few who get checking that looks real. I'm sorry to say everything from Murphy/Murphy labs looks amateurish and super fake. They should be payng Kim whatever it takes to teach them how to do it right. For what they charge they can afford it.
I’m pretty sure it’s not the process that’s the issue.... it’s the formula of nitro lacquer they use.

greens

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it’s not the process that’s the issue.... it’s the formula of nitro lacquer they use.
Perhaps, but he can set them straight whatever the issue may be.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the guitar wasn't built in Kalamazoo MI in the late 50's it's a fake. Sorry. Authenticity means nothing. Replicas, Historics, HM, blah blah blah. You can source whatever wood you want, age it any way you want, use any luthier you want to put it all together. But if it's not real, it's not authentic. These will never be real bursts.

So some people like a certain aesthetic. Some like cracked glass, some light razor checked. Some even like dreadful looking gloss guitars with mirror clean shiny hardware. Some even unbelievably like Strats! So why not let them enjoy their thing? Personally I think a lot of these ML's look totally killer. And they feel incredible. If these guitars came with blowjobs some people around here would complain about the teeth. And don't give me the price argument either because all of it is overpriced to any sane person. But these are selling pretty quickly so are they overpriced? I watched a guy buy a 14k PRS with a straight face. 14k is a lot of money to play Creed covers. But who am I to say?

greens

Reaction score
If the guitar wasn't built in Kalamazoo MI in the late 50's it's a fake. Sorry. Authenticity means nothing. Replicas, Historics, HM, blah blah blah. You can source whatever wood you want, age it any way you want, use any luthier you want to put it all together. But if it's not real, it's not authentic. These will never be real bursts.

So some people like a certain aesthetic. Some like cracked glass, some light razor checked. Some even like dreadful looking gloss guitars with mirror clean shiny hardware. Some even unbelievably like Strats! So why not let them enjoy their thing? Personally I think a lot of these ML's look totally killer. And they feel incredible. If these guitars came with blowjobs some people around here would complain about the teeth. And don't give me the price argument either because all of it is overpriced to any sane person. But these are selling pretty quickly so are they overpriced? I watched a guy buy a 14k PRS with a straight face. 14k is a lot of money to play Creed covers. But who am I to say?
Just because it IS fake, doesn't mean it has to LOOK fake. If some people like cracked glass, more power to them. But these guitars are made to LOOK as real as possible, and they fall short compared to what other people are doing.

BigJim

Reaction score
You have never had a nitro-finished guitar check, or even seen it? Weird, but that doesn't mean it's not a thing that happens.
I've seen it on older guitars, but never had it happen to me. I live in the Northeast, so my guitars are often exposed to temperature changes. Not a single line.

What bugs me that is the cracking happens randomly, all these guitars are cracked in very non random patterns...its silly.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have seen a bunch of them for sale, and a lot of them have sold. There are a lot of positive comments about them. I am sure they are quality guitars. As for the crazy pricing? Prices are all over the place, and frankly a little ridiculous. Many of the overly positive comments from buyers come from people who are addicted to having the latest thing & it makes them feel better about their purchase. It creates hype and others buy into it & do the same, dampening their buyer's remorse. We have all done it!

But like many others that started off with crazy prices - CC #9 as an example - the prices will nosedive in a year or two. For me personally, I have not seen one that I would have in my collection. The aging on the lighter aged ones looks best to me. The ultra aged ones look fake to me. And for all of the ones I have seen posted for sale - and maybe the best ones were sold to tier 1 buyers without ever posting online - the underlying guitars (aside from any aging) are all pretty much the same: sub par tops, sub par colors, sub par paint job, sub par fret boards. If you think Murphy is actually doing the work in the painting / aging, you may be in for a big surprise, in that I don't think he has done much of anything on any of them. But he is in charge of the "lab"; it is under his guidance. Some of them have nice backs / back coloring.

Sorry to have a negative review. But I am just going by looks, and the pricing seems way out of line. The guitars are probably nice instruments, other than the aesthetics mentioned above. I only do Gibsons these days. New / old doesn't matter as long as I like the individual guitars. My opinion is just that, and it is subject to change. LOL

Latest Threads