Broken Headstock

leofender55

Reaction score
Anyone have a Les Paul with a broken & repaired headstock that they want to show or comment on? I got a great deal a while back from my local GC on a real nice Standard in Desertburst that someone dropped at the store and broke the headstock off of. They had someone do a repair on it, which is stable but not very well finished. It plays amazingly well and is one of my favorites. The pic doesn't show it well, but it has some nice 3D flame on it. The others in the pic are my CS-356 & my G0. As a long time woodworker I can attest that decent repairs (dowel or biscuits) can end up stronger than the original wood grain. There are some great deals out there if you don't mind having a wounded warrior in the fold. IMG_0246.jpg

mchoate1

Reaction score
Just me, But I would never buy one... don't care how good they sound...

paulgibson

Reaction score
I would not buy one unless it was dirt cheap. Don't care how good the repair is.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
I'd buy one.
If done well I see no problem with it, and it'll save some money to boot.

Salamae

Reaction score
I've owned a guitar with a repaired headstock and there were no issues. I'd have no problem getting another one but the price has to reflect it - like half or less.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I'm glad people are superficial because this sat for much longer then it should have and I got it for a great price.

Of course, dumb me breaks it a second time.
It's been three years since the second break.
Solid as a rock. :thumb:

leofender55

Reaction score
That's a nice clean looking repair. I'd never have mine fixed and try to sell it as unbroken. It is what it is. I'd much rather have a Standard or other with a repair than a Studio. Just my preference.

bluebox

Reaction score
My favorite Les Paul of all time has a neck repair. It sounds incredible and plays like butter. My best friend dropped it when we were really young. Peter from Broken Neck in Boston did a bang up job on the repair. :naughty:

I don't care if other people would never buy it because they can't have it. :slash:

Steinmetzify

Reaction score
Actually been looking for one. Watched numerous BCR repair threads, my best friend is a carpenter and I know that it wouldn't be any problem. Just waiting for the right deal. There's no way I'd pay anywhere near full price for one though.

Plantfood

Reaction score
Repaired headstock means nothing to me except I'll be getting a great deal. One of my favorite guitars to play is a repaired headstock 335 from 86. What's even worse is it was sold as a factory second :wow:Oh the humanity! The way the guitar feels and plays is simply amazing. When it is eventually put up for sale, I have first dibs and I will be adding it to my collection without a doubt.

jeffy

Reaction score
If it's priced right, sure why not?

GuitarHeiner

Reaction score
I broke the headstock of my 95 Standard Heritage Sunburst back then. This was the best sounding and playing Les Paul I´ve ever had.
It was repaired once by Nik Huber when I remeber right. He did an incredible job. He glued the Headstock and did a partial refinish of the neck with the original transculent color. The repair was completly invisible for People who didn´t knew of the breakage. Those who knew it had to search the entire neck for the spot... then they didn´t find it and I had to show them the place of the breakage... and even then the most of them didn´t see it. Too bad I sold this great guitar a few years later. Shame on me but I GASed.

There is nothing wrong with headstockrepairs if they are done correct.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yeah, shortsightedness of some astounds me. Its alway the tone for me.......but I know more and more people look only for the cosmetics

I'm sure if you had the opportunity to buy the Greeny LP you'd be changing your tune quick enough.

Lolly

Reaction score
I've owned a guitar with a repaired headstock and there were no issues. I'd have no problem getting another one but the price has to reflect it - like half or less.
This

roses

Reaction score
What do you reckon is a fair price drop for a guitar with a broken headstock? I've been trying to find a Gretsch Black Penguin for ages now but the only one I could find for sale in the UK was in Guitar Guitar and just days before I thought about going to try it out with the intention of buying it they shipped to anothern store and the headstock was snapped in transport. They've had it repaired and relisted but only dropped the price of it from £2650 to £2300 which seems a bit absurd to me really..

voggin

Reaction score
I'd be okay with a repair, if the price was right. I'd want to know who did the repair, though, or I'd want to take it to someone I trusted to have it checked out.

It's probably the only way I could ever afford an R9!

leofender55

Reaction score
When I first saw my Desertburst at GC a sales kid told me they sent it back to Gibson for a factory repair which I knew was just not true, and he said they were discounting it $400 to $1700. I went back the next day to talk to a sales guy I had dealt with previously and got it for $1200 out the door, including a nice SKB flight case.

RRfireblade

Reaction score
Anyone have a Les Paul with a broken & repaired headstock that they want to show or comment on? I got a great deal a while back from my local GC on a real nice Standard in Desertburst that someone dropped at the store and broke the headstock off of. They had someone do a repair on it, which is stable but not very well finished. It plays amazingly well and is one of my favorites. The pic doesn't show it well, but it has some nice 3D flame on it. The others in the pic are my CS-356 & my G0. As a long time woodworker I can attest that decent repairs (dowel or biscuits) can end up stronger than the original wood grain. There are some great deals out there if you don't mind having a wounded warrior in the fold. View attachment 109842
Broken headstocks are virtually never doweled or biscuited though.

However since repairs are almost always cross sectional, they are still quite strong.

The concern becomes that if the exibited weakness resulted in a failure, is it an isolated section of grain or are there others adjacent. Reasonable possibilty.

Thus I would repair and use a broken headstock however I would only buy one very heavilydiscounted personally.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
If the repair was professionally done and the price was low, sure thing.

Latest Threads